• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Antec P180 case whoas......

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 24, 2001
Messages
1,887
Man, I love the case, but it sure is a pain to route the PSU cables up into the upper chamber. Especially if you have a XFi in the lower PCI-x slot. There's just NO room and the cables push up on the card. I can't move it up because I've got a 7900GTX and of course it takes up to slots. I've got a Promise RAID card below GTX, which does allow some air to flow to the vid card. If Antec releases an update to the 180 then they need to rethink some things.
 
gman said:
Man, I love the case, but it sure is a pain to route the PSU cables up into the upper chamber. Especially if you have a XFi in the lower PCI-x slot. There's just NO room and the cables push up on the card. I can't move it up because I've got a 7900GTX and of course it takes up to slots. I've got a Promise RAID card below GTX, which does allow some air to flow to the vid card. If Antec releases an update to the 180 then they need to rethink some things.

sounds like its the hardware you decided to use just dosnt play well with the 180. Mine works fine, wire management super easy, the only problem i had was the PSU monitor wire. Why not just get a mobo with built in raid?
 
Tell me about it...

When I switched to watercooling, I had to move my 7800GTX to my lower PCIe slot, which forces my X-Fi to the bottom slot, which totally KILLS my wiring. One of these days I'm gonna take it apart and give it the dremel treatment so I can route the cables behind the cages rather than up through them.
 
yea...i don't think i have room for even 1 pci card :( stupid case. question. did antec offer replacement doors? i remember hearing something like taht and the flimsy plastic door is getting annoying...
 
Could you buy an ATX extension cable and run it behind the motherboard? I know it's a pretty thick cable but if it's not rounded you could lay it out mostly flat. Hopefully the sharp angle coming out of the lower chamber would be enough to stop it from messing with your sound card too much.
 
LOL
I thought you meant "whoas" as in, good things that made you say "whoa"....I think you mean "woes"

I also have an x-fi in the bottom slot (X-Fi cards are PCI, BTW), and it is annoying, but my ATX cable goes through the slot and underneath my motherboard, so you can see it coming out of the trap door, but from that point it's hidden. It sucks having the extra power connector on the X-Fi, but I needed to run a floppy cable up to my AGP card anyway.
 
I have always had some trouble with the power cables coming from the bottom chamber.

I need to figure out some rewiring in order to get it organized and less restrictive for air movement.

On mine I have taken out the bottom hard drive cage and put in a water tank for my cooling system
 
johnnq said:
yea...i don't think i have room for even 1 pci card :( stupid case. question. did antec offer replacement doors? i remember hearing something like taht and the flimsy plastic door is getting annoying...


Yeah, my replacement door actually came the other day. It's a solid piece of aluminum so it's not bent.
 
Do this. Take out the bottom 120 fan. Route the cables through the hole on the other side of the fan. Get a 92mm fan and stick it in the front (in front of the HD rack) and zip tie it in place.

I had to do this because I got the OCZ power supply, which is a inch longer than regular and there was no way I could use the first hole. It was just to much stress on the cables. I did however have to run my 12 Aux line through the 1st hole because it wouldnt reach on the other.

I spent hours trying to figure out how to get mine setup. What amazes me is the gap in the front is ALLMOST big enuff to fit a slim 120 in. Why they didnt allow for this, I dont know. My 92mm (panaflow) up front does it's job with ease though, keeps the HD's cool and fresh air for the PSU to suck out. It's even on 7volt.

//edit: Also if you arent using your upper cage you can take it out and put the 120 fan u had in the bottom in there. U cant use the cage thought, because the fan is to thick for the cage to fit back on. Feeds plenty of air right to the video card.
 
basically, all i did to route cables, was i took out the upper drive cage and only used the lower one, and i took out the 120mm x 40mm fan (the really fat 120mm in the lower HDD area) and i put that on the mounting bracket on the front fan and i just routed all my wires up through there...

I also took out the VGA cooling duct, the cable management plastic thingey (waste of time to mess with it) and i routed all my fan power cables off to one location.

I just hid the cables i didnt wanna use under the PSU cradle thingey...

but then again, i have an Antec 550watt Serverclass PSU, so it's not 1 inch longer that it should be....
 
TheGamerZ said:
Yeah, my replacement door actually came the other day. It's a solid piece of aluminum so it's not bent.

So this door is a solid piece instead of the aluminum backing on plastic?
any one have any pics of this new one?
 
extra power connector on the X-Fi

What? There's a power connector on there? What's it used for?

So this door is a solid piece instead of the aluminum backing on plastic?

Yea, solid? I'd like to see that. :eek:
 
twitchy10 said:
So this door is a solid piece instead of the aluminum backing on plastic?
any one have any pics of this new one?

I don't have any pics but I do have one of the newer replacement doors. The front aluminum panel looks the same but there is not the plastic backing behind the aluminum anymore. The black plastic only runs the border around the aluminum front. They also relocated one of the magnets in the door. This new door is quite a bit straighter and it does not look like it's going to bend anytime soon. I guess technically it could actually have lost a little of it's noise dampening though without the extra layer of plastic behind it. I however did not notice any difference in noise level.
 
aug1516 said:
I don't have any pics but I do have one of the newer replacement doors. The front aluminum panel looks the same but there is not the plastic backing behind the aluminum anymore. The black plastic only runs the border around the aluminum front. They also relocated one of the magnets in the door. This new door is quite a bit straighter and it does not look like it's going to bend anytime soon. I guess technically it could actually have lost a little of it's noise dampening though without the extra layer of plastic behind it. I however did not notice any difference in noise level.

awesome, because I just contacted antec about getting one, hopefully i get one of the good ones (fingers crossed)

I just got this back from them:
The new door is reinforced so it doesn't warp. The part is backordered. By current estimates, you should receive it within a month.

Thank you,

Antec Customer Support
 
gman said:
What? There's a power connector on there? What's it used for?
The X-Fi power connector is a bit of an enigma to me. The documentation says you only need it if you want to power the 5.25" audio bay through the ribbon cable. However, I would gather from that, you don't need to attach the power connector if you plan to power the drive bay with its own connection. However, I currently have my drive bay unpowered, and the X-Fi power cable attached, and yet my drive bay doesn't work, so who knows.
 
I pulled the middle 120mm in the bottom, put one in the front (in front of the hard drives) and routed my PSU cables through the hole and up through the second opening. Here's a picture that's a few revisions old, but you get the idea:

side.jpg
 
gman, I think you meant the topic to be "Antec P180 case woes" not "whoas". sad.

Ross
 
gman , I think you meant the topic to be "Antec P180 case woes" not "whoas". sad.

Good go either way in my opinion. I was thinking more in "whoa, stop a second", or as in "whoa, this thing is a pain to route cables in". Didn't realize it would cause such confusion. :eek:
 
InorganicMatter said:
I pulled the middle 120mm in the bottom, put one in the front (in front of the hard drives) and routed my PSU cables through the hole and up through the second opening. Here's a picture that's a few revisions old, but you get the idea:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/sac_tagg/antecp180/side.jpg


that's exactly what i did, but i took the fan from the lower HDD area and mounted it where your green LED fan is, and i had to remove the plastic rails for the upper HDD rack..
 
gman said:
Good go either way in my opinion. I was thinking more in "whoa, stop a second", or as in "whoa, this thing is a pain to route cables in". Didn't realize it would cause such confusion. :eek:
haha excuses? then y is there an 's' but none in your explanation. :p

anyways all good.
 
Back
Top