Antec GX 202 case (nice)

Discussion in 'Cases & Case Modding' started by Astrowind, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Astrowind

Astrowind n00b

I've used several different cases in my life for builds but this is probably the first time I'm satisfied (without modifying it). I ordered the Antec GX202 mid-tower computer case and received it today.
    Here are the strong points to me:

- large power and reset buttons near the top of the case

- no ventilation holes on the top or side for front to rear air flow

- drive bays are aligned in the same direction

- nice-looking, compact design

- ventilated mesh front

- only one front port for optical drive (I usually only have one)

- side transparent panel (to see if fans are still working, although it's dark tinted)

- fans that light up (although I'll likely use one in the back and put the other one in another case that has a window on the side)

Even if I haven't used it yet, I decided to buy it even though my next build may be next year. The last times I've seen things I wanted to buy in the style I liked, the items sometimes were no longer available by the time I thought about buying them.

Burticus likes this.
  2. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Let me help. Not bad looking at all for a $50 case. I like that it has a 5.25 bay for optical, those are almost extinct but I still use them. Even Antec's budget stuff is pretty good.

Dust filter on bottom for power supply intake is always welcome. And I assume the entire front mesh part acts as a dust screen since there isn't another one under it I can tell.

Stolen from www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129241

11-129-241-V01.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  3. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Oh that pic didn't have the LED fans on. Just white, no LED. I kind of like that. I also like the mesh front instead of the new trend of putting solid acrylic or glass in the front which murders airflow at the cost of looks.

11-129-241-V05.jpg

4. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Oh, I see a chink in the armor. Not that surprising since it's a budget case, but the hard drive mounts are faced inline, and doesn't have modular/removable bays to remove ones you don't use. So 2002. Every case now should have hard drive bays that are sideways mounted facing out, for easy install/extraction. With a huge inline bay, you can get blocked off by motherboard/video card, etc. My Antec 300 is like that and it's a ROYAL pain to install or remove hard drives with motherboard installed.
    I guess if you only have 1 drive it's not a huge deal. Those SSD mounts are weird. There are 2 on each side and it looks like they mount inside the inline bay, but vertically for a total of 4. Then again, with M.2 SSD becoming more popular, drive bays are getting less necessary all the time. I would have loved if they had just put 2 x 3.5 and 2 x 2.5 near the top below the 5.25 bay, then just chopped the rest off. But I guess that is what dremels are for. OTOH the drive bay probably has a lot to do with case stability/rigidity since it's a budget box. Cutting it out might make it wobble (-er?) ?

upload_2019-2-8_15-49-57.png

Sorry I hijacked OP's thread, LOL. I got all excited about a decent new budget case.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  5. Astrowind

Astrowind n00b

I didn't really think about the fact side drive bays would make it easier to take them out later but usually, I don't replace drives.