Another one bites the dust.

Nasty_Savage

Fully [H]
Alright, my 800 Watt PSU went up in smoke after replacing the Enermax 620 Liberty (that went up in smoke) Specs are at the bottom with the C2Duo (there's a 3ware Raid card running the array), and its plugged into a UPS...what could be the problem?

Alright, my 800 Watt PSU went up in smoke after replacing the Enermax 620 Liberty (that went up in smoke) Specs are at the bottom with the C2Duo (there's a 3ware Raid card running the array), and its plugged into a UPS...what could be the problem?

I too would think after two PSU's going up in smoke there'd have to be something awry.

Maybe the UPS is bad? Putting out bad output voltage?

Where are you located? (Country/Input Voltage)

Does the UPS kick into battery mode often?

Actually, the UPS didn't kick on at all. The first time it happened with the Enermax Liberty I came home and the UPS was whining and I noticed the machine down. Tried and boot and Fzzzzt! And stinky smoke :(. I ran down to best buy and bought an emergency BFG 800 (not the new model) thinking maybe it was just dumb luck. Been working for several months and it fizzed out from a cold start today. It was running fine all weekend and I shut it down last night. The enermax ran fine for almost a year and half. I'm in NJ and I do not have brownouts and stuff :confused::confused:

/edit and the software for the UPS displayed nothing but good stuff so....

anything fried on the motherboard? or anywhere else? like black or chard piece? maybe just a luck of the draw? :(

I've lost a couple of power supplies and a motherboard this year as well.

First thing I would do is have an electrician check your wiring. I knew something was wrong when I was shocked by touching the PC case barefooted (and it wasn't a static charge either). I whipped out the trusty DMM and found 50VAC between neutral and ground.

It could also be a number of other things....

1. Bad Caps
2. Crappy semiconductors - (RoHS switchover issues or ESD damage)
3. Dirty Power (UPS can correct for some of it)
4. Bad Luck

Well, I ordered a new one so I can RMA this one to BFG hopefully. I just can't understand how 2 can blow (and come to think of it, my Shuttle PSU blew awhile back too). So something is going on. I am assuming it could be 'dirty' power, but I do not understand how that can be considering the UPS?

So they've all been plugged into the same UPS? While it doesn't make sense, that's the common factor. A good UPS is rated for 100,000 hours MTBF and you've lost three in a few months. Yeah, something is wrong. Hope you figure it out!

Actually, the shuttle was pre-UPS...same outlet though...hmmm...I can understand tripping a breaker or spotty performance, but up until the flame out, they work just fine :(

If the PSU's fails on the secondary, sure, you'll get "spotty performance" because the PSU may not regulate or filter properly.

But the PSU is either going to put out power or it's not if the failures are on the primary side. And if there's a problem is with the power going into the PSU, it's going to fail on the primary side.

A UPS is not necessarily a power line conditioner, many are not, many that say they are do not do a good job of it.

What UPS ?

Maybe poor airflow. What is temperature of your case?

Back