Another Game, Another Used-Game Penalty

Expressing your opinion on a discussion forum is foolish? Oh wow, lotta fools around here I guess...

And to specifically address the issue involved here. They are removing a core of the gameplay, multiplayer.

No, don't try to make it into what it is not. Expressing your opinion is one thing..spouting off nonsense is an entirely different matter.

Go back and read what I said about core gameplay mechanics vs bonus and make sure you are assessing each game on an individual basis.

It was so much simpler before the internet came along and messed thing up. Back then you bought a game and it had to both be complete and work out of the box or it crashed and burned. Now developers can sell a game that is half finished and/or is full of bugs yet they just keep fixing it a little at a time with downloaded fixes and people seem ok with that just so they can be the first to have the shiny new game.

Back then you could sell the used game and there was nothing they could do to lock you out. Funny how the developers made money back then just as easily as they do now, if not more.

Zarathustra[H];1037144368 said:
A used game does have diminished value.

Only perceived. It's not a tangible value. The content you are buying hasn't changed a bit since it was new, what has changed is demand.

Zarathustra[H];1037144368 said:
If it came in retail packaging, it may no longer have a manual, new box, etc. The disc may be scratched or reduced in lifespan.

When you buy a used game, you get infinite play time (if you take care of it), the same as you get from a brand new retail box game. When you buy a used car, you get reduced drive time out of it. It's not a valid comparison, and it's getting old watching people keep trying to do so.

as the consumer gamer... one thing I'm concerned in the resalable value... allot of my friends are able to buy new games because of the trade in value of used games... if this becomes the standard used game values will drop...

these company's are using this as a subsidy to cover loss in other areas... aka piracy...advertising... ect...

without used console games... gamers might not be exposed to certain game franchise when done in a series...

Anyone else think it's freaking insane that we have to fork out almost $60 for a new release that has the playtime interest lifespan of a day?

Games have been doing this for 10+ years..no one is standing around pissing and moaning they didn't get the pre order bonus..This is no different. It is an incentive to buy new (Provided they do not remove core content, some have and I don't support that), the same as the pre order bonus is an incentive to pre order.

Bitching about this is silly and makes one look foolish. :rolleyes:

Ah, no, they haven't. Oblivion is the first real example of DLC as we know it today, and that game was released in 2006. And there was no such thing as a 'preorder bonus' or a 'new game bonus' on that. The first bit of extra content was the infamous horse armor, released weeks after the game was on shelves.

That was 5 years ago. So no, games have not been doing this for "10+ years".

Now, if you want to talk expansion packs, then yes, those have been around for a very long time. And I'll gladly pay for an expansion pack that is of good quality/content. But the nickle-and-diming of the modern video game industry is a large reason why they don't get anywhere near as much of my money anymore. I categorically refuse to purchase any game that has day-one DLC, or DLC that unlocks content that was already on the disk.

Only perceived. It's not a tangible value. The content you are buying hasn't changed a bit since it was new, what has changed is demand.

When you buy a used game, you get infinite play time (if you take care of it), the same as you get from a brand new retail box game. When you buy a used car, you get reduced drive time out of it. It's not a valid comparison, and it's getting old watching people keep trying to do so.

Your line of reasoning does not account for the fact that a new, sealed copy of Xenogears goes for $100+ while a used copy that is missing the manual and original casing can be had for under $20.

Used games do lose value over new ones. The bits on the disc are only a portion of the total value of the product.

I hate to be the one to bring this up because it sounds like I'm playing devil's advocate, but, I'm surprised no one has brought up production values of games or cost of maintenance for online servers. Games typically take longer and are more expensive to make today then 10+ years ago. Granted, it doesn't give the developer the right to make a shitty game then complain about used game sales. But I can see why the developer complains about it. AAA games are more expensive to make and market, especially if you have a multi-platform, multi-year development cycle. That said, I'll buy a game brand new if its worth it. But if it doesn't satisfy me just short of getting a blow job, i'll rent or buy used and feel no sympathy for the developer.

Excellent. I love it when companies argue over who gets the bigger pile of money!

Now my opinion:
I would prefer that the people who created and published the games get more money than the useless, non-contributing middlemen like Gamestop. But as others have said, digital distribution will make the whole argument void in the next console generation.

Personally, I like the physical disk in my hand. I hate Windows Live, though I do like Steam. As a single player not online too often, I like maximum control over the product. DLC that I have to pay for is totally bogus. It's not much better than the idea of paying for a patch. Sell it as an olds fashioned add on pack and make it avaliable on disk. As for used games, you got your money when the game sold for $50-60 that they go for new. Additional content has no relationship to that used game other than on your egos and money hungry wallets. Record companies don't get a share of resale, and they don't charge a used disk buyer more for the next record they produce. Get real. Security will always get broken. If nothing else, be upfront and jack the price of new to say, $100, then let it go. And God I hope windows live dies a rapid death.

Let's just hope the auto makers don't catch on to this.

This whole line of bullshit will eventually end up in court somewhere. When it does, I do believe the game pushers will have their assess handed to them.

The law system has been coddling media groups for a long time, and eventually they will see they have been played, and enough will be enough.

LOL! Serves people right for supporting Sony, and letting them get away with all their past behavior.

Within 10 years everything will be digitally downloaded with online IDs.
This is an issue caused by an aged distribution system. The trick is not to patch the broken model, but to update it.

Just need to get the bandwidth usage cap removed or at the very least increased then, as games will be massive in ten years time, they are already hogging 10GB per installation on average at the moment.

Back