• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Another few questions

Calum

n00b
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
41
I posted a while back asking for some help with overclocking, my issue was actually faulty RAM - it passed memtest but became unstable in Windows at higher speeds. I exchanged it for some new RAM, but I'm still having some issues.
First my relevant specs: Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R, BIOS F3, Intel E8200, 8800GT, 2x2Gb OCZ ReaperX PC2-8000 HPC, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro w/ MX2 paste. If any more info is needed I can provide it.

Basically, I got my system stable at 3.4GHz, then I went on holiday. When I came back it wouldn't boot at that speed, so I took it down to 3GHz. It's now stable with an FSB of 375, RAM at 2:1 so 750MHz, VCore 1.275V and VDIMM at 2.1V. I can't push it any further without it becoming unstable in Orthos, even if I increase the VCore to near 1.4, the VDIMM to 2.2, and up the FSB and NB voltages a little too.
Have I just hit a total wall? I haven't seen any other E8200s topping out this early, most seem to be getting 3.4 at least. My temps are good, >30 idle and around 44 under Orthos load.
 
My ffirst suggestion would be to cool the MCH/Northbridge with a small fan. Rig something up to test and see if it helps and if so then decide what to do long term. Try 8 x 400 with the fan and see if you can stabilize that.

You did not mention what video card and power supply you are using. However in 2d runing Orthos the video card should not be pulling as much as in 3D but still its good additional info to know in trying to help you. A complete list of your MIT settings would also be helpful.
 
My system is now once again stable at 3.4GHz, it won't stay stable at 3.6 though even with increased voltages on the NB, FSB and VCore.
The NB is not overheating, it maxes at around 40C. However, when I get hold of a fan I'll try cooling it to see if that does help, thanks..
My video card is an EVGA 8800GT, clocked at 650 core/950 mem stable (not a manufacturer OC, my own), and my PSU is an OCZ StealthXStream 600W.

Complete MIT settings: Robust graphics Booster: Auto
CPU Clock Ratio: 8x
Fine CPU Clock Ratio: +0.0
CPU Host Clock Control: Enabled
PCI Express Frequency: 100
CIA: Disabled
Performance Enhance: Standard
System memory Multiplier: 2.00
DRAM Timing Selectable: Auto
System Voltage Control: Manual
DDR2 Overvoltage: +0.3V
CPU Voltage: 1.3V
All other voltages Normal.


Thank you for your reply.
 
Press Ctrl + F1 to reveal the 'hidden' mamory settings as with all GA boards. Do that in the main BIOS screen and it will blink for a split second. Then you will see all the options under the same MIT panel.
 
Ah right, you confused me there for a second, sorry.
I have set the timings manually and loosened them a little to no avail.
I don't actually see any more memory settings with Ctrl + F1 anyway, although it does unlock some options for IRQs, PCI latency etc.
 
OK, I'd like to know how to best attach a fan to my heatsink.
Below are some pictures to show that space is a little tight due to my CPU cooler.
My options seem to be a huge replacement HS, which won't fit very well, a fan to attach to the current HS (in which case how should I do it and which fan?) or a replacement HS/fan combo.
For a fan, would something like this work? Or a p3 heatsink, of which I have several? How should I attach it?
Or, should I get this for a replacement HS/fan?
Something else that's not exactly on the same topic, but related to my computer - is it worth replacing my current case fans (1 stock from the Coolermaster Elite 330, drawing air in, and 1 Akasa Amber 120mm at the back) with these Scythe fans? They're louder than the Amber but push more air, and I think my CPU cooler is louder than those fans anyway.

Thanks in advance.




 
Back
Top