Another Build Thread

Gillette

[H]ard|Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming/Productivity
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? ~$1500, tax/shipping included
3) Where do you live? Vermont
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? Everything except optical drives
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? DVD-ROM
6) Will you be overclocking? Absolutely
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? 24"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Next few weeks - waiting on tax return
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? Nothing in particular... the more flexibility/control in OC'ing the better.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? Yes

The proposed build:

i7 920
ASUS P6T Deluxe v2
6GB G.Skill PC3-12800
BFG GTX 285
Antec P180
Xigmatek Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooler
WD6400AAKS 640GB HD
Corsair TX750 750W PSU

Any and all recommendations are welcome!

Last edited:
get a WD6401aals or wd6400aaks. amazing speed for the price. The Xigamatek 120mm works wonders for the price.

Remove the StealthXStream. Go for the Corsair TX650 or TX750. NewEgg also has the Antec EA650 on sale, which is more than enough for the GTX 285.

I agree with both Rydawg and tiraides. If the SXS700 is based on the infamous FSP Epsilon, it has out of spec ripple at high loads, which kills your components over time. Granted, you may never load the system high enough to invoke such ripple, but why pay for something you can't use to its full potential?

Switched it :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, anything else you'd change on the build given the budget?

You don't need that exact mobo. Just buy a cheap compatible socket 775 mATX motherboard and replace it yourself or have another computer technician do it.

EDIT: IGNORE THIS!

Last edited:
Hmmm, thinking I may get 2HDs and RAID-0. Unfortunately I'm at work so trolling around through benchmark sites isn't too practical...

Can anyone link me to a decent benchmark showing performance of RAID-0 vs standalone HD? I know it's faster, but by how much?

For starters, check out this thread of various HD Tune scores. It covers a wide range of both individual drives and multiple drives in RAID.

The overall RAID 0 speed depends on the particular hard drives being used, but in most cases, they're often faster than a single Western Digital VelociRaptor. However, RAID 0 guarantees no uptime protection -- if one drive fails, your entire RAID array is lost. (Keep in mind that RAID is not a backup solution.)

Unless you've used RAID before, my advice to you is to not worry about it.

Last edited:
Back