Anonymous VPN Services?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
I'd be interested to hear what users of these services think of them.

Which one do you use? How much does it cost? What is performance like?

Would I be able to find one that can keep up with my 150/150mbps connection? Will my pings suffer much?

If I set it up so my router connects to the VPN so that everything on the LAN automatically uses it, is it easy to create rules such that certain applications (games, certain latency dependent services, etc.) bypass the VPN?

Appreciate any input!

--Matt

I'm sorry about hijacking the thread, Zarathustra.
Should I be looking for VPN on just the desktop, or for my router?
I want VPN for my HTPC/NAS for sure, but I don't know if everything else (gaming rig, laptops and lots other mobile devices) should be on it. I would be concerned about network speed and performance for my gaming rig.

I currently use ExpressVPN, basically it just remasks your IP address and 256 bit encryption.....I don't need to explain why people would use it. LOL On a serious note, its great for vpn services if you want privacy. It will not stop the NSA or national security stuff, if they want to see your stuff....they WILL!

Yeah, what I am interested in hearing about are peoples testimonials about how using a VPN impacts their pings and bandwidth.

I'd be looking for a VPN that can keep up with my 150/150 connection, without hurting my latency too much.

It's gonna hurt your ping. Any vpn worth using is gonna be in Denmark or similar place. Download your torrents and find hit men on the vpn. Every day traffic normally

it really depends on your location relative to the vpn server. i am in socal and have tried express vpn, ipvanish, strong vpn, and many others. the only one that allows me to use the majority of my 200mbit connection is airvpn. i can get around 170mbit throughput. they are also the only one i've found that is fully transparent with their server status and loads. Status - AirVPN

as for whether to configure your router to use the vpn, that will all depend on your hardware. i tried my asus rt-n66u and it was only capable of about 10mbit throughput. if you have the patience to configure a pfsense box to route through a vpn, you are awesome!!!

I use PIA myself, they somewhat recently upgraded and enabled the use of AES-256 with RSA 4096 so I've happily been rocking that for a few months. I believe it's $40/year and I've been rather pleased, speeds are superb (ping times as well) as I'm able to max out my 50Mbps FiOS connection through the tunnel

Mine is currently configured inside a transmission jail on my FreeNAS box using OpenVPN (I'm personally not a fan of their platform application). When I want to browse through it, I create an SSH tunnel from a given device or box and do SOCKS proxy'ing. PIA has dozens of connection points all over the globe and all at least use 100Mbps connections but they also have a bunch connected at 1Gbps. I'd just need a faster connection at home to really open it up to see what it's capable of (but so far the 1230v2 w/ AES-NI hasn't even broken a sweat).

Last edited:
Back