Android Wifi Question

dvsman

2[H]4U
So I've got a Samsung S7 (regular version Android 6.01 on Verizon) and for the most part, I'm really digging it. Great camera, small nicely portable size - great for pockets and one handed operation, just enough power to do everything I need / keep the screen / app response snappy.

The one thing that still niggles me though is that it attempts to (or seems to try to ) connect to any and all public wifi hotspots (Xfinity / At&t/etc.). Even if the signal strength is absolute garbage, it still tries to connect which I'm guessing wastes battery power in doing so.

What I would like it to do (and not sure if this is even possible), is to only automatically turn on wifi at only certain places (i.e. work / home) and at all other places in between rely solely on the mobile network, unless I specifically go into settings and manually override it to force a connection.

Right now I'm manually turning wifi on and off and of course I sometimes forget to switch it back on, meaning it uses mobile data even at home or work, which I would like to prevent.

Any android experts ever seen this? Is it even possible?

There's normally a setting in the advanced WiFi options to avoid poor WiFi connections and to disable WiFi scanning. Have you tried disabling those?

Use IFTTT or other thing like it such as smart wifi toggler. But IFTTT is useful in so many other ways for automation etc.

Thanks, man.

I've found "Advanced Network Switching" - the description which seems to match what you're saying. I also found Wifi Hot Spot 2.0, which sounds like a good candidate.

I'll give turning off both a shot and see if that improved / stops the random wifi connections.

Search for "IFTTT" for IFTTT, which stands for if this then that

Tasker can be used to do Wi-Fi enabling/disabling based on location data as well, it's a very useful app and worth the cost to get the full "unlocked" version. That "Smart Wifi Toggle" one above could probably work just as well and isn't as complicated in terms of setting things up - Tasker is very powerful once you get into it but on the surface it leaves some people bewildered for use.

Back