Android Still Gaining Ground

I have a Touch Pro 2 and its got one thing that I've not seen matched, a speaker phone. Honestly though I like mine and no a lot of people with it. And this is WinMo 6.x anyway. 7 is totally different.

The main complaint of android apps (compared to iphones) is games... there are some damn good, well made, and slick looking games in iOS. Not so many on Android.

hehe, that's funny. It's one of the two things most people use their iPhones for that I don't. (the other being using it as an ipod, I have no music on mine :p )

Had a friend with an iPhone, and that taught me to never touch one. I have a Motorola Droid and have never had a single issue with it. I have yet to try tethering my laptop to the phone's wifi, but one day....

I have a Touch Pro 2 and its got one thing that I've not seen matched, a speaker phone. Honestly though I like mine and no a lot of people with it. And this is WinMo 6.x anyway. 7 is totally different.

The Moto Droid has a really good speakerphone as well. We use it all the time at work to do conference calls, lol

I went from a Touch Pro 2 to an HTC Incredible, and I am VERY happy. I had numerous problems with Touch Pro 2's, and I have to say that the Incredible is the first phone that has been hassle-free. Everything just works the way it should. I don't have VZW reps saying that programs that they advertise work with the phone are causing it to crash twice daily.

Glad you like your Incredible. Don't know what you were running on your phone but in 10 months only two bad apps and a VZW update caused my any issues with my TP2 and I'm running a modified shell on it SBP.

Get it out of your systems folks while you can, you may not like Windows 7 Phone but you'll look as silly calling it crap as Windows 7 desktop. The Live tiles stuff is a VERY elegant UI simply nothing quite like it as part of a standard phone UI.

Windows Phone 7 does look really cool. If they release a really well polished device I will definitely consider it along with a Zune Pass again.

My main gripe with my Touch Pro 2 was that my alarm wouldn't go off until I turned the screen on myself about 1/5 of the time. Obviously, that led to a lot of problems and was a deal breaker.

The main complaint of android apps (compared to iphones) is games... there are some damn good, well made, and slick looking games in iOS. Not so many on Android.

I don't think is because any kind of gaming advantage iOS has and if articles like this continue I don't think that Android is going to have any problem coming out ahead on this front. A much larger percentage of people already have all the tools to start making Android apps and games and Google will take a much smaller part of the pie.

There is also the problem that among other anti-competitive moves Apple has made it progressively harder than it already is to make crossplatform applications that include iOS and so far if someone can only release for one platform the most profitable one would be for Apple. People won't even be able to easily convert there applications, like Flash ones, to iOS even when there are tools to do it.

There will always be more people who have the tools to make Android apps then there are that have the tools to make iOS apps. As far as I know unless you do something hacky like a hackintosh you need to have an Apple computer, all of which would be capable of making Android apps, and many more people have other kinds of computers. Its also easier for businesses to purchase and maintain other types of computer.

While the license for iOS is relatively cheap its still a pretty big barrier to entry, I know I would be much more likely to play with XBLA games if it was free instead of the 100 dollars a year which is pretty close to the iOS cost. Not to mention the greater ease of uploading and patching an Android application. All else being equal creating Android apps is less risky than Apple apps since there is much smaller chance of having it removed from the Market, and even if it is they could sell or give it away in other ways.

yeah thats gonna happen. The OS is on more than 1 phone. Apple is going to go away soon, they cant keep up with this closed, expensive phone only gimmick. Andriod will become the default OS in 2 years. The windows of mobile phones.

yeah thats gonna happen. The OS is on more than 1 phone. Apple is going to go away soon, they cant keep up with this closed, expensive phone only gimmick. Andriod will become the default OS in 2 years. The windows of mobile phones.

Listen if it was set to go away it would have already...iphones are not going anywhere. ever.

On a similar note...I will be switching to android this weekend :)

You're overestimating open platforms. If this were true Linix would have displaced Windows eons ago.

You're overestimating open platforms. If this were true Linix would have displaced Windows eons ago.

your missing the point, one reason why windows is so great is you can install it on any computer build. Whats one reason why mac's arn't that popular? The OS is locked to specific computers.

Whats the difference between android and apple? Android is allowed to run on multiple phones from multiple vendors and carriers unlike the iphone which is locked to just 1 phone. See the similarities? Wouldn't surprised me if android does eventually over come and dominate the iphone.

your missing the point, one reason why windows is so great is you can install it on any computer build. Whats one reason why mac's arn't that popular? The OS is locked to specific computers.

Whats the difference between android and apple? Android is allowed to run on multiple phones from multiple vendors and carriers unlike the iphone which is locked to just 1 phone. See the similarities? Wouldn't surprised me if android does eventually over come and dominate the iphone.

Your point is valid but I guess we need to more specific about what an open platform really is. Windows is a proprietary platform, make no mistake about it. It's just not tied to hardware or much else other than need an x86 compatible processor so it does have some of the benefit of a fully open platform in that respect.

Having a phone of devices and carriers is a good thing and in that regard Windows 7 Phones will be open. But it will be a tightly controlled environment and while the techie Droid fans think that's bad, for the average consumer it has its benefits such as consistency and technical simplicity.

So yes, open in the sense that it adds choices that the average consumer cares about is a superior thing. Open in that you have access to source code, not so much.

Your point is valid but I guess we need to more specific about what an open platform really is. Windows is a proprietary platform, make no mistake about it. It's just not tied to hardware or much else other than need an x86 compatible processor so it does have some of the benefit of a fully open platform in that respect.

Haven't we already had this conversation in this thread?

In what way is Windows proprietary? The word proprietary can be used in different ways and I know some neckbeard like Richard Stallman want to call anything that doesn't meet his personal definition of free and open "proprietary", but if semantics are your point I don't see how it ads to the conversation.

In the way that people have used proprietary when comparing Windows/Mac to Android/iOS the comparison is accurate and proprietary vs non-proprietary is the best description I can think of. Microsoft was successful because they didn't force people to buy hardware only through them like Mainframe manufacturers like IBM did (do) and you could install it on pretty much any hardware your version will work with unlike Macintosh computers. You also don't need a license or pay fees to sell or create software for Windows.

Either way I don't think you would argue against someone saying Windows is more open than Macintosh OS and I don't think you would argue against Android being more open than iOS. I don't think anyone said that openness is the only thing that effects how popular an OS is, only that "more open" can be an advantage.

In what way is Windows proprietary? The word proprietary can be used in different ways and I know some neckbeard like Richard Stallman want to call anything that doesn't meet his personal definition of free and open "proprietary", but if semantics are your point I don't see how it ads to the conversation.

Propreitary isn't a four letter word and it has a VERY specific meaning:

1 : one that possesses, owns, or holds exclusive right to something; specifically : proprietor 1
http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/proprietary

Yes Windows is proprietary. Let's move on. All I am saying and maybe this isn't what was meant by you and others by the term "open" (which has a FAR less specific meaning than proprietary) but open in the sense that "Here's the code for all the world, go for it" isn't all that its cracked up to be that guys like Stallman would have people believe, not a fan of his BTW.

Back