Android on old Nook E-Reader?

98 SNAKE EATER

Weaksauce
So my niece was cleaning out her room yesterday and I noticed a little e-reader/tablet in a trash pile

It's a Nook Color exactly like this one

olor_Showing_Wikipedia_Index_On_Dolphin_Browser_HD.jpg

She said she hasn't used it in years and it wouldn't turn on, but I charged it overnight and it powered up just fine this morning

Connects to my wifi, but it keeps saying there's a network problem when I try to search anything on the net

After a bit of Googling, I found that she had never updated it, but Barnes/Noble no longer supports it, so I can't even download updates

Figured I'd start fresh, so I did a factory reset as shown in this video:

[video=youtube;_atl79ZcB_I]

Now it's on the setup page, but can't get passed the network error even though says it's connected to my wifi

Found some videos where people are running Android/Linux off of the SD card and figure that would be my next step before frisbeeing it out the window

[video=youtube;cuCLUpydjc4]

Thing is, I'm a total newb when it comes to these things and the majority of the videos I've seen are older and have dead links to downloads

Anyone know where to find a writeup on how to do this with all the functioning links I need to get this done?

I kinda wanna rub it in her face cause shes a bit spoiled when it comes to these things

Last year she tossed a perfectly good laptop cause it was running a little slow :rolleyes:

I dug it up, did a full restore and my nephew now uses it for school without issue :cool:

Thanks

I downloaded the file for the Nook Color, but my laptop doesn't recognize the Nook when I connect it via USB

Tried copying the file onto an SD card and popped it in the Nook, but then it just said it was not recognized and to format it
try another cable or check if there is options for usb storage in its settings. or
format the sd in it and see if windows can still see it.

try another cable or check if there is options for usb storage in its settings. or
format the sd in it and see if windows can still see it.

Ok, we're getting somewhere (sortof)

Swapped cables and it immediately connected (DOH!!)

Copied the files over to the Nook (unzipped file as shown in their video), but when I ejected the USB, the Nook did nothing

Shut it down and restarted, but still went back to the setup page

Tried copying the files individually, but still nothing.

Here's a video of the setup page showing the Network issue even though it's connected to my wifi

Ok, we're getting somewhere (sortof)

Swapped cables and it immediately connected (DOH!!)

Copied the files over to the Nook (unzipped file as shown in their video), but when I ejected the USB, the Nook did nothing

Shut it down and restarted, but still went back to the setup page

Tried copying the files individually, but still nothing.

Here's a video of the setup page showing the Network issue even though it's connected to my wifi

your wifi and/or it's security might be too new for it to connect properly. is it a 5G router, if so can you enable the 2.4? or if its in epa2 security drop it to something lower. you could even try a cellphone hotspot just to get it past setup so you can update.

edit: and theres also these in the instructions. so maybe wipe it and recopy the zip file as is or let it sit longer.

• • Do not download or save multiple copies/versions of the file to your PC or NOOK Device. This will cause the update to fail
  • • Do not modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way.
  • • Do not try to open the file as this will only result in an error.
  • • Do not create a new folder on the MyNOOK device or add the file to any other existing folder.

4. Your NOOK will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes when it goes into sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates. Once the installation is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart and go to the Lock screen.

your wifi and/or it's security might be too new for it to connect properly. is it a 5G router, if so can you enable the 2.4? or if its in epa2 security drop it to something lower. you could even try a cellphone hotspot just to get it past setup so you can update.

Cool Cat is my standard Wifi

FBI Surveillance Van is my cellphone hotspot

Both have the same issue

Cool Cat is my standard Wifi

FBI Surveillance Van is my cellphone hotspot

Both have the same issue
ok, try the rest of what i said. ive seen older devices, like my windows phone, that hate new wifi and will only work with 2.4 or dumbed down password strength(security/epa2)

It's a 5G router (not sure how to go about dropping it if possible)

I did try it on my cousin's older 2.4G router earlier today and it had the same problem

From what I've read, the update from 1.4.1 to 1.4.4 is supposed to take care of the network issue, but how do I get past the setup screen?

Now I'm wishing I didn't do a full restore cause even though it has the same network warning, I was still able to get to the main screen and apps

OK, I was able to get past the setup menu using those links :)

Connected to my laptop and transferred the zip file once again (for some reason, it wasn't in there)

Ejected USB, but it still won't automagically start like the Nook in the B&N video

On a sidenote, does it matter that the file I download shows up as a WinRar instead of a Zip?

About to shut it down and reboot

OK, I was able to get past the setup menu using those links :)

Connected to my laptop and transferred the zip file once again (for some reason, it wasn't in there)

Ejected USB, but it still won't automagically start like the Nook in the B&N video

On a sidenote, does it matter that the file I download shows up as a WinRar instead of a Zip?

About to shut it down and reboot
nice.
i didnt watch the vid but the instructions said that it will auto update when it goes to sleep. so try tapping the power button to see if it sleeps, or let it sit for 10-15min(dont know timeout).
your zip files might be associated to winrar. when i did a test download it showed it was a zip.

nice.
i didnt watch the vid but the instructions said that it will auto update when it goes to sleep. so try tapping the power button to see if it sleeps, or let it sit for 10-15min(dont know timeout).
your zip files might be associated to winrar. when i did a test download it showed it was a zip.

OK, I'll have to try again, but here's the last vid I just made after restarting

I changed the file from a WinRar to a zip and tried again, but it still didn't uppdate after 40 minutes or so of waiting

Is it possible to force the update somehow?

can you tell if the file copied correctly? view it on the nook or via windows explorer. instructions first say to download it directly onto the nook via save as, into the root folder. maybe try that.

OK, as a zip file, I can't open it on my laptop or the Nook (connected as a drive)

I get a pop up that says:

"Windows cannot open the folder"

"The Compressed (zipped) Folder C:\blahblahblah\Desktop\nookcolor 1_4_4_update.zip is invalid"

As a WinRar, I'm able to open it and see all of the files

OK, just downloaded the file directly onto the Nook from the B&N site and it showed up as a zip file (not WinRar)

Ejected, but still nothing

Gunna wait a bit and see if anything happens

OK, as a zip file, I can't open it on my laptop or the Nook (connected as a drive)

I get a pop up that says:

"Windows cannot open the folder"

"The Compressed (zipped) Folder C:\blahblahblah\Desktop\nookcolor 1_4_4_update.zip is invalid"

As a WinRar, I'm able to open it and see all of the files
the instructions say not to do anything with it just copy it to the root of the device and leave it. maybe wipe it, delete the files and try again with a fresh d/l.

ok just saw your update, basically that^^^^

Video of what I did previously with zip file

The latest was downloaded directly from the site to the Nook drive

Ok, I'm a total f@cking idiot

All this time I've been thinking it's a Nook Color

After looking up the model number, it's actually a Nook Tablet

Downloaded the correct update and it loaded up as it should
lol good it loaded though. hopefully that sorts the wifi/internet thing.

It's stillbdoing some kinda update
lol good it loaded though. hopefully that sorts the wifi/internet thing.

I wasn't able to get back to the setup screen again, so I just did another full restore and installed 1.4.4 again

Was able to connect and get past the setup, but when I try to use the web, I'm still limited

Some sites work that didn't work at all before (they first flash a "view certificate" warning that I have to keep tapping continue), but others I get a "Data connectivity problem"

Youtube still doesn't work (says to update to Android 4), but at least we're getting somewhere.

Attachments

• 20211219_222225.jpg
    20211219_222225.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211219_222254.jpg
    20211219_222254.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211219_222321.jpg
    20211219_222321.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211219_222336.jpg
    20211219_222336.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
Jesus Christ. That thing isn't even android 4? Not even worth spending time on. Shame too, because I was enjoying this thread.

Those security errors are probably because early Android shipped with TLS (aka SSL) settings from the turn of the century, and discriminating sites require TLS 1.2, released in 2008 which was only required and enabled by default in Android 5 in 2014. No, I'm not bitter! The certificate authorities installed back then are pretty inconsistent too. I'm definitely not bitter.

If you can, see if you can sideload something like a modern browser on it. But really, if it's not running at least Android 4, you're not going to have a good time. Firefox for Android needs Android 5. Not sure if you can find a Chrome to sideload or what versions are available for Android 4 (or worse).

I loved mine many years ago, it was the best device at its time. But it aged quickly. I'm impressed you're still interested in keeping it alive, but it seems like a struggle that's not really worth the hassle since it's so outdated

Back