Android O Officially Named Android Oreo

monkeymagick

[H]News
Continuing the trend of naming their Android OS updates after snack foods, Google is calling Android 8.0 aka Android O as Android Oreo. Apparently, this latest version of the operating system comes with superpowers. Notable features include picture-in-picture "letting you see two apps at once" and background limits "limiting what apps and services are allowed to do in the background of the OS." Unlike a certain candy company, I presume Google made sure to get permission from Nabisco.

Check out the announcement.

Android Oreo has arrived. Safer, smarter, more powerful & sweeter than ever.

I've been running O for a couple months now in the beta program for my Pixel XL. It's kind of buggy still, but really I see no difference between it and N.

I have no idea how "picture in picture" works. I've been through the settings and can't find any mention of it.

Doesn't look like my Pixel is finding an OTA update to O yet.

Doesn't look like my Pixel is finding an OTA update to O yet.

You won't. It's not officially released yet. Go to the following website if you want to run the beta version. Be forewarned though once you upgrade there is no going back without losing all your data. So, backup everything first.

www.android.com/beta

Saw an oreo [cookie] commercial about it already. They plan to whore that product placement

Last edited:
https://developer.android.com/about/versions/o/download.html#flashable-images

Is the beta different than these? According to other android websites, it was officially released yesterday.

I guess they did move from beta. I had an update last night and my phone info no longer says 8.0.0 Beta.

Either way, it's still buggy. I get app crashes frequently. Using bluetooth with the Uconnect app in my truck causes the phone to reboot sometimes.

OTA updates are rolled out in waves. Your market might take a week or months to see the update. Of course you can go to android's site and download the update manually.

Yeah, I never played around with flashing the image myself (at least not in the past 2 years with my Nexus 5X and Pixel). I should probably get back into it.

Initial waves are set for folks already in beta but you can still join the beta and get the release early.

They already had to pull the Pixel/Pixel XL OTAs as they were failing to install. Its been fixed. Waiting a little while is not a bad idea. Thats what the beta testers are for.

I wonder when I will see O, or if that will be another I skip. Still on Lollipop with my LG G4, hopefully for at least another year. Aiming for three years of use with it at least. Wish Google would just say fu to the manufacturers and release a master key to allow any version of android on any hardware.

They should show you the "O face" gif when you tap the Android version a bunch in the settings (where they usually put an Easter egg).

JLQp6.gif

I wonder when I will see O, or if that will be another I skip. Still on Lollipop with my LG G4, hopefully for at least another year. Aiming for three years of use with it at least. Wish Google would just say fu to the manufacturers and release a master key to allow any version of android on any hardware.

You know it would work because it's essentially the same hardware as the Nexus 5x.

You most likely won't see it unless you root and flash it yourself. LG and your carrier don't care about yesterdays phones.

You most likely won't see it unless you root and flash it yourself. LG and your carrier don't care about yesterdays phones.

Oh I know it. There was an update for my phone to Marashmallow and I never took it. No root exploit was ever found for it, and of course there are no further updates for it. I got my Galaxy S4 up to Kitkat I think, and I just remember every single update to that phone making it worse than the last. I have every intention of staying put. I guess what I meant was I wonder how long I can make my current one last. I don't plan on doing constant updates with any phone, the plan is get it working and leave it alone like I have now.

Did they get permission or will Nabisco be suing Google like Atari is suing Nestlé?

Initial waves are set for folks already in beta but you can still join the beta and get the release early.

They already had to pull the Pixel/Pixel XL OTAs as they were failing to install. Its been fixed. Waiting a little while is not a bad idea. Thats what the beta testers are for.

I had that problem. In the end you will have to reset your phone entirely, otherwise no matter how many time you reboot your phone, you will stuck with a loading bar.

Ended up just using the Android O final release image and installed it myself.

Back