Android nerd, switched to iPhone 6 Plus

It's actually easier on Android with something like Towelroot app then you can make customizations with Wanam Kit (Xposed) app without touching any partitions and you don't even need to connect to a PC. Backup is easy and granular too as you can selectively choose partitions or down to specifics apps. If you blow up Android by accident you can still boot into TWRP/CWM recovery and fully recover without PC. So, the end to end process from rooting to cutomization to recovery from non-working OS state can be PC free unlike iOS.

Bottom line, there's not much one can do with a rooted Android that can't be done with a jailbroken iPhone, or vice versa. Of course, now I fully expect some fanbitch to try to come up with an exhaustive list of amazing, wonderful, and life-affirming things a rooted Android can do that a jailbroken iPhone can't.

I can do everything with a VW I can do with a Mercedes too. :)
Apply that whichever direction is convenient lol.

Bottom line, there's not much one can do with a rooted Android that can't be done with a jailbroken iPhone, or vice versa. Of course, now I fully expect some fanbitch to try to come up with an exhaustive list of amazing, wonderful, and life-affirming things a rooted Android can do that a jailbroken iPhone can't.

Trick hardcore Android fans into thinking that they're enlightened freedom fighters rather than obsessive geeks, and that many more people root their phones than you see in real life?

Also the builtin full backup in iOS, which is actually better than Nandroid, makes it really easy to restore your phone if things go wrong.

I think the whole root/mod process is actually easier on iOS -

- the jailbreak is usually done by visiting an online site or running an app, vs on Android it involves installing drivers, adb, batch files, boot into recovery mode etc

- iTunes backup and restore is really easy (the only good thing in iTunes)

- it's even better if you use iCloud

- install Cydia, add a few custom repo's, and you have a world of content t play with and customize

The main reason its much simpler is on iOS you never really replace the actual rom, bootloader, recovery etc. iOS jailbreak gives you everything you need.

/rant

There isn't any way of saying this without coming off like a dick, but I'm tired of easy.
I'm tired of easy computers, easy phones, easy everything.
I'm tired of any jerkoff being able to drink of the wine that I paid for with so many
hours and days and sleepless nights of effort learning tech.
I'm tired of a world without dip switches or command lines.
It's disappointing, this golden future, in a lot of ways.
I miss the sense of (un)community and accomplishment and a lack of mainstream.
It makes perfect sense that it's easier to root an iphone or mod it, but I don't look upon
that is a positive thing. I don't doubt a bit you can root and modify an iphone just as much and go as far as an android device.
I don't doubt it's so easy with some super polished app that your grandmother could do it.

But I wouldn't brag about the fact.

And it's not just the iphone.
Or just Android.

Doing things that the genpop cannot do is impressive and worthy of note and/or respect, having a shiny app and it being one click easy to do, isn't.
That's just you having been targeted as a market segment.
A wallet to entice with a feature.

The genpop has no interest in root/jb, and in fact has no clue such a thing exists. This is just for the 0.1% of people who are interested in such things, and making it easier is better. Its easier for power users, not for everyone (at least not yet).

I'm a geek and the most counterproductive thing I can think of is to keep some kind of elitist status by deliberately keeping things obtuse and complex.

btw I get what you are saying, making things too simple often leads to reduced features (all of Apple is a good example, but that's a conscious tradeoff).

You might like this essay - http://faculty.georgetown.edu/irvinem/theory/Stephenson-CommandLine-1999.pdf, its old but still a good read.

The biggest differentiator is that much of what iOS couldn't do before jailbreaking could already be done in Android before rooting. A jailbroken iPhone is just as powerful as an Android if not more so due to the underlying OS is probably better written to begin with. But most people don't care as most people don't really customize their phones to begin with. So all this bickering should just stop. Stick with the real issues... iTunes sucks... :p

/rant

There isn't any way of saying this without coming off like a dick, but I'm tired of easy.
I'm tired of any jerkoff being able to drink of the wine that I paid for with so many
It makes perfect sense that it's easier to root an iphone or mod it, but I don't look upon
that is a positive thing. I don't doubt a bit you can root and modify an iphone just as much and go as far as an android device.
I don't doubt it's so easy with some super polished app that your grandmother could do it.

Tinkering is fine, but I always remember that adage someone coined about the value of Linux: "it's only free if your time is worthless." A bit harsh, but it has a point.

The same applies to experimenting with Android customizations, crafting shell scripts and other things of that ilk. They're great if you pursue them as hobbies, but we geeks tend to forget that not everyone wants to (or should) put up with complexity just because it's theoretically more powerful. People get iPhones because they'd rather meet friends or record their kid's first day at school than figure out how to install the latest Cyanogen build. If modding an iPhone is easier, that means people get on with their lives -- that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Trying to find third party Text apps in the Apple App Store, and nothing coming up.

Like Android has some great ones, Textra is my fav, or Handcent, or the new Google Messenger.

Are any of those available for the iPhone, or is it the case of we get iMessage and that's it ? I only ask because Apple has allowed third party keyboards finally like Swype, maybe they also offer other third party apps ?

BiteSMS was the go to 3rd party text app (in Cydia), but it has not been updated for iOS8. From everything I've read on other sites, chances are not good for any further development. Apparently, the lead developer had a major falling out with the company. I'm not aware of any other replacement text apps.

Intelliscreen X has a built-in update to the stock Messages app, called Messages+, which includes some additional functionality. You can buy Messages+ separately, but you might as well pay $2 bucks more for the full Intelliscreen X.

Last edited:
BiteSMS was the go to 3rd party text app (in Cydia), but it has not been updated for iOS8. From everything I've read on other sites, chances are not good for any further development. Apparently, the lead developer had a major falling out with the company. I'm not aware of any other replacement text apps.

Intelliscreen X has a built-in update to the stock Messages app, called Messages+, which includes some additional functionality. You can buy Messages+ separately, but you might as well pay $2 bucks more for the full Intelliscreen X.

Yeah too bad that BiteSMS is gone for iOS8.

I tried Inelliscreen X8 last week, didn't really care for crap ton of info it provided on the lock screen. But I reinstalled again just now, and changed the settings to really streamline what it shows, just the weather and calendar events on the lock screen, and I like it better.

And the best thing is, when I missed text comes in now, I can just click that text in the lock screen, and it gives me an option to reply or phone call that person back. Which is what I wanted.

Thx

Yeah too bad that BiteSMS is gone for iOS8.

I tried Inelliscreen X8 last week, didn't really care for crap ton of info it provided on the lock screen. But I reinstalled again just now, and changed the settings to really streamline what it shows, just the weather and calendar events on the lock screen, and I like it better.

And the best thing is, when I missed text comes in now, I can just click that text in the lock screen, and it gives me an option to reply or phone call that person back. Which is what I wanted.

Thx
I agree that X is a lot better when you knock off some of its excess features. I wasn't aware of that tapping on a lockscreen text notification to bring up an option to reply with a text or call. I always just swipe right on the text to text a response. I need to try that tap feature.

How are you adjusting to your 6+? I'm tempted to just say fuck it and buy a 6+ even though I talked myself into skipping the 6 series. The dreaded bend issue spooked me, but I never carry my phone in a pocket, so no danger of accidentally sitting on it. A good case is a must for any cell phone I use, anyway.

If I were to get an iPhone, I'd get the regular N(+) version rather than the NS(+) version. The reason is that, although the S is better, it still look almost exactly the same as the N. So in-stylistically, you'd be "current" longer... So why wait, Tyler?

P.S. I read that Apple had made the case stronger in the button area so it wouldn't bend as much.

I agree that X is a lot better when you knock off some of its excess features. I wasn't aware of that tapping on a lockscreen text notification to bring up an option to reply with a text or call. I always just swipe right on the text to text a response. I need to try that tap feature.

How are you adjusting to your 6+? I'm tempted to just say fuck it and buy a 6+ even though I talked myself into skipping the 6 series. The dreaded bend issue spooked me, but I never carry my phone in a pocket, so no danger of accidentally sitting on it. A good case is a must for any cell phone I use, anyway.

Yeah with IntelliX, when you have a missed call, show up on the lock screen, just tap that missed call, and a faint little menu option pops up below the missed text, with option to text or call, just clink the one you want, like text, you click that, and it takes you right to Messages app to reply. it's not like Android where a little message box pops up no, it takes you direct to Messages, but when done hit close and your back to the lock screen. It's better than the default option IMO.

Overall I am starting to like this iPhone 6 Plus, with all the different JB Cydia I have experimented with the past week, I think I have found the ones I like, and have the phone setup pretty well now. I have a total of 12 Cydia apps installed, 2 of them really good AdBlockers, which is a must have for me on any smartphone.

As far as bending ? I am not worried about that. I have the official Apple leather case, which feels great in the hand, and doesn't add much bulk, and seems to keep the phone solid enough. I mean suppose the phone could bend with no case, but you would have to go out of your way to purposely try to bend it hard with a lot of pressure to actually bend it. Which I don't see ever happening without forcing it, which you would never do anyways.

Main reason I switched from Android, was just for a different change of pace, something fresh and new to me. I love Android and Lollipop is awesome, but I wanted something different after 5 years straight of Android. If the HTC One M9 is 5.5" I may get that, I really like the 5.5" screen size. The Nexus 6 does intrigue me a lot, but that thing is a beast, heavier than the 6 Plus, a lot wider, thicker, etc... The width being the biggest issue to me on the Nexus 6, just so hard to one hand that thing. The 6 Plus being lighter, thinner and a lot narrower does it make easier to handle, yeah the 6 Plus is actually taller than the Nexus 6, but the height doesn't matter that much to me IMO, while width and weight do.

Battery life on the 6 Plus has been excellent so far. Seems to be on par with my OnePlus One which has AWESOME battery life.

To wrap it up, the only phone that would have me drooling to get other than this 6 Plus, would be the One M9, if the screen is 5.5", otherwise I'll just stick with this, and wait till the Nexus ( 2015 ) phone, or 6S Plus :)

/rant

But I wouldn't brag about the fact.

And it's not just the iphone.
Or just Android.

Doing things that the genpop cannot do is impressive and worthy of note and/or respect, having a shiny app and it being one click easy to do, isn't.
That's just you having been targeted as a market segment.
A wallet to entice with a feature.

This is precisely the type of attitude I would avoid.

Tinkering is fine, but I always remember that adage someone coined about the value of Linux: "it's only free if your time is worthless." A bit harsh, but it has a point.

The same applies to experimenting with Android customizations, crafting shell scripts and other things of that ilk. They're great if you pursue them as hobbies, but we geeks tend to forget that not everyone wants to (or should) put up with complexity just because it's theoretically more powerful. People get iPhones because they'd rather meet friends or record their kid's first day at school than figure out how to install the latest Cyanogen build. If modding an iPhone is easier, that means people get on with their lives -- that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

To tag along with Aurelius here, there was a time in my life in which I grinded for gains. I did every form of PC modding in the early 2000's. OC'ed, watercooled, the lot. Windows was so terrible every time new video card drivers came out it was basically better to format/reinstall (cleaners were just coming into their infancy and even they were dirty. All of this stuff I eventually realized was unnecessary. My brain was a library of computer parts, I knew what I'd buy at any price level. I was a compendium of advice.

But then... for what? If it was for elitism and my ego, it was pointless. It wasn't usable really in any job outside of being the best A+ tech ever (which is also pointless).

At some point I just wanted to get things done. I moved to Macs and OSX in 2008 and haven't looked back. Because spending 15-20 hours a week to 'be elite' is a waste of time. I want everything to move the hell out of my way so I can do the things that actually matter to me.

For point of reference of what you're saying about trying to be "unmainstream" and elite you had damn well be:

Fixing and maintaining your car your self, as well as modding the crap out of it.
Build your own house. Fix your own plumbing, do all the electrical
Build your furniture, fixtures, smelt and mold your own iron

And before you state, well "that's a bunch of stuff I'm not interested in doing" - your suggestion that everything needs to be overly hard on cellphones is something that many other people aren't interested in doing. I honestly couldn't give two shits about how hard something is. My phone is a phone. I want it to do what I want it to do. I don't care how it gets there. I want it to complete my tasks and get out of my way so I can do other things I really care about. Just like I expect my house, furniture, and car to do.

I do enough work, I don't need my phone, computer, or anything else I own to be additional work. So if you want to spend a bunch of time on your phone because it makes you feel special. Go right on ahead. Obviously we need people creating apps, programs, making mods, and the like. But don't expect that everyone else is going to love your specialization.

CHANG3D and Zorachus: Think I'll head over to a T-Mobile store and play with a 6+, tomorrow. ;)

Top 25 Reasons To Jailbreak iOS 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOB4UYpx6ew

Cool video showing all the things that can be tweaked, changed, customize, and stuff a normal stock iPhone was never allowed to do. Sure I guess this makes it like an Android phone, but different too, not better, not worse.

Written text of the above;
http://phonerebel.com/top-25-reasons-jailbreak-ios-8/

Many of those features are really nice additions, but it pains me that every one of those can be done with stock android and a few apps.

However the security features with biolock is very nice

One thing I noticed with the iPhone 6 Plus is that the phone is fluid and smooth as water. Like always just perfectly and consistently the same smoothness opening apps, switching pages, opening multiple Browser tabs, etc... It really is a very smooth flowing OS, with ZERO hiccups and stutters.

Compared to my Android phones, which were flagships, and rooted and ROM'd, I would go into Developer Options, and set the Animations to 0, and use Nova Launcher and set that to Light Speed fastest setting. But even a tweaked Android ROM and set to warp speed, I would still get hiccups or stutters here and there, once in awhile. Majority of the time, apps and pages opened up faster than a blink of an eye, like crazy fast, overall Android was super fast, but other times you could see it trying to open that fast, but would pause or stutter trying to do so. It was very inconsistent in doing that, no specific app or action caused it, just random. Where with the iPhone I just don't seem to get that whatsoever.

Yeah I don't have the warp speed lightning fast settings on the iPhone, the animations are slower, but they are constantly the same always, every app, every movement, fluid as water.

One other thing, is the standby time. I went to bed with the phone at 18%, and forgot to charge it, woke up 7-1/2 hours later, phone still at 18%. It seems when the phone sits idle, it just sips the battery juice ever so lightly. No background apps or tasks draining down the battery.

Don't get me wrong, I am no major iFan now, I still LOVE Android, and Lollipop is awesome, the animations and Material Design in Lollipop IMO are amazing, I just needed a break from Android, I think I got burned out recently due to my OnePlus One, and my crack addict flashing new ROM's. Testing out the CM12 Alpha builds, I flashed a good 20+ different ROM's over the course of 6 weeks, testing and playing around with the different Nightly builds, and different Developer builds. Always doing a fresh clean install, and then reinstalling my apps from scratch, and setting up the phone to my preferences each time. I was doing that every two days or so, for like six weeks straight. I think I just got sick of seeing the Lollipop setup screen 20 different times, and setting up my phone all over again, repeatedly.

The iPhone 6 Plus has stopped my crack addict ROM flashing for now. Yeah I was a Cydia addict for a week, but now that the phone it is setup pretty much the way I want, and no other tweaks I know of or really want, I am content with the phone as is for now :)

Last edited:
Yeah I don't have the warp speed lightning fast settings on the iPhone, the animations are slower, but they are constantly the same always, every app, every movement, fluid as water.

One other thing, is the standby time. I went to bed with the phone at 18%, and forgot to charge it, woke up 7-1/2 hours later, phone still at 18%. It seems when the phone sits idle, it just sips the battery juice ever so lightly. No background apps or tasks draining down the battery.

It'd be nice if the animations were a bit faster, but I can see why Apple has them -- it's to show you where you're going to or coming from, to give newcomers those senses of consistency and space. That's actually a big part of Material Design in Lollipop, the sense that apps and menus are coming from somewhere.

And yeah, iOS' battery conservation is still ridiculously good. I've used Android phones that lost a big chunk of their power overnight... that just doesn't happen on iOS.

It'd be nice if the animations were a bit faster, but I can see why Apple has them -- it's to show you where you're going to or coming from, to give newcomers those senses of consistency and space. That's actually a big part of Material Design in Lollipop, the sense that apps and menus are coming from somewhere.

And yeah, iOS' battery conservation is still ridiculously good. I've used Android phones that lost a big chunk of their power overnight... that just doesn't happen on iOS.

Yeah Lollipop looks better with animations set to default, not warp speed, that way you can see the beautiful Material Design. At lightning speed, you miss all of the gracefulness.

I have a Cydia tweak called "NoSlowAnimations" that helps speed up iOS a bit faster, and even smoother. So the whole OS is super buttery smooth and faster, not warp speed fast, but just extremely fluid and little faster than stock.

And for Android to get that same battery conservation, you need a good custom ROM, with a kernel tweaked to get the same results. A stock Android phone out of the box, no way gets the same standby time as a newer iPhone.

I was tempted to almost try out the Nexus 6 next, return the 6 Plus for the Nexus 6 this week to see if the N6 is the Android beast all claim it to be ? But I am very happy and comfortable with this Jailbreaked iPhone 6 Plus. The Nexus 6 I think would still be more of the same for me, and wouldn't be a night and day difference than my OnePlus One running Lollipop ?

Sure the N6 would be faster, nicer screen, etc... than the OnePlus One, but overall Lollipop on both phones, the overall user experience would feel very similar ? Not like compared to my Jailbreaked iPhone 6 Plus, which is a whole different and fresh new experience to me.

Last edited:
I'd keep the iPhone 6 Plus, cause the a nexus 6 should have a worse battery life than the OnePlus. And since you already got L, it really is more of the same to you. And it sounds like you're willing to purchase or repurchase all the apps that you need. So if you like the iPhone this much, stick to it. Wait for the 64bit Androids to arrive before coming back. I think purchasing an android phone right now is stupid when March/April is right around the corner. The new instruction set will be game changers.

I'd keep the iPhone 6 Plus, cause the a nexus 6 should have a worse battery life than the OnePlus. And since you already got L, it really is more of the same to you. And it sounds like you're willing to purchase or repurchase all the apps that you need. So if you like the iPhone this much, stick to it. Wait for the 64bit Androids to arrive before coming back. I think purchasing an android phone right now is stupid when March/April is right around the corner. The new instruction set will be game changers.

Yeah, I really am interested in the HTC One M9, always been a fan of their phones, owned the EVO 4G, One X, One M8, loved them all. I am hoping the One M9 has a 5.5" screen, or at least a larger than 5.0" screen.

The HTC One M9 is pretty much the only other phone I might be interested in, anything else, right now, just seems cool, but not earth shattering awesome.

This year 2015, only other phones I can see myself owning, would be the One M9 or 6S Plus ( really interested in the 6S Plus, the hardware upgrade should be awesome, with the 14nm smaller chipset being very efficient and battery friendly, a MAJOR camera upgrade coming, said will make it the best camera ever for a smartphone to date, and 2GB RAM will propel iOS a lot, with iOS9 supposedly having sweet changes to compete with Android even more )

Last edited:
So if you like the iPhone this much, stick to it. Wait for the 64bit Androids to arrive before coming back. I think purchasing an android phone right now is stupid when March/April is right around the corner. The new instruction set will be game changers.

C'mon, now.. this is Zorachus. He has a different phone literally every 3-4 months or so. I remember when we all got M8s together when they launched and he's already had like 3 months since then I think, lol. Next thing you know, he's going to have a Lumia phone or BB Passport.

I'm think I'm a pretty big gadget/phone junkie, but if I'm content with a phone, I stick with it for at least a year or so. For me, the M8 is as close to perfect as I can imagine. The only things they need to improve on it are the camera and battery, both of which are more than adequate for me, but could use some improvement to at least keep up with current flagships.

C'mon, now.. this is Zorachus. He has a different phone literally every 3-4 months or so. I remember when we all got M8s together when they launched and he's already had like 3 months since then I think, lol. Next thing you know, he's going to have a Lumia phone or BB Passport.

I'm think I'm a pretty big gadget/phone junkie, but if I'm content with a phone, I stick with it for at least a year or so. For me, the M8 is as close to perfect as I can imagine. The only things they need to improve on it are the camera and battery, both of which are more than adequate for me, but could use some improvement to at least keep up with current flagships.

LOL :) No BB Passport for me.

Yeah HTC to me makes the best Android devices, the One M8 is awesome. I just want a larger screen on the M9 with bigger battery too of course.

Seems like 5.5" screen size is starting to become the new norm in 2015. So for me, the only two phones I have my eyes on this year are the One M9, 6S Plus, and possibly the Nexus phone in the Fall, if it's a bit smaller and thinner.

I think what the Note 4 has proven is that 3GB of higher performance RAM could make even the most laggy, bloated, and gimmicky android ROM run smooth... Whereas Apple's run smooth with 1GB. If Apple does start putting in 2GB of RAM, I don't know how much improvement it has over the android flagships when all rumors show that most android flagships of 2015 will have that 3GB of RAM if not 4. It could be very little, cause all signs also point to the new S810 or the Tegra X1 to be also superior to the A8X. The new A9 would just be incrementally better on the CPU side, that would be my guess. The GPU, I don't know cause Apple somehow nearly matched the Tegra K1 last year. If only that the NVidia got their radios together.

On another note, looks like Intel's SDR are ready this year with integrated Cat6 LTE. That 4GB Asus Atom phone intrigues me. I want to see benchmarks so badly! If only it's also a Windows Phone...

P. S. you're not interested in getting an invite to purchase the OnePlus Two?

Last edited:
I think what the Note 4 has proven is that 3GB of higher performance RAM could make even the most laggy and gimmicky android ROM run smooth... Whereas Apple's run smooth with 1GB. If Apple does start putting in 2GB of RAM, I don't know how much improvement it has over the android flagships when all rumors show that most android flagships of 2015 will have that 3GB of RAM if not 4. It could be very little, cause all signs also point to the new S810 or the Tegra X1 to be also superior to the A8X. The new A9 would just be incrementally better on the CPU side, that would be my guess. The GPU, I don't know cause Apple somehow nearly matched the Tegra K1 last year. If only that the NVidia got their radios together.

On another note, looks like Intel's SDR are ready this year with integrated Cat6 LTE. That 4GB Asus Atom phone intrigues me. I want to see benchmarks so badly! If only it's also a Windows Phone...

Isn't the "S" line of iPhone's always the super speed versions ? Rumors are the 6S is supposed to be a powerhouse, with an amazing camera, and very powerful GPU for gaming, ( which I could care less about IMO ) and iOS9 is rumored to have even more customization options and more third party addons. And the 14nm chip is supposed to be very battery friendly.

But the HTC One M9 will ship with the new 810 Snapdragon, and 3GB RAM, and bigger battery, just please give is a larger screen too :) And Android fan dream would be a 5.5" One M9

I am open to the OnePlus Two as well, but with no Cyanogen involved what it will run ? A more stock AOSP Lollipop ROM ? Or an OPO OS ?

I was kinda surprised that HTC didn't do a One Max in 2014 like they did in the previous gen. I would rather them keep the normal One under 5.2" and have a Max line for 5.5'+.

Regardless of the size though (unless it's something stupid like 6"), I'll probably be getting the M9 as long as it's not QHD. I'd rather have better battery and performance than a barely perceivable PPI bump.

Zorachus, how does your new phone simultaneously juggle navigation, playing YouTube, Gmail, etc.? When driving I often have Google Maps running in the background and it'll momentarily pause foreground YouTube to do voice direction announcement. My iPad doesn't have cellular and GPS so I can't test that aspect of it.

Are you suggesting Zorachus to go drive while watching a video on YouTube? Are you asking him to get himself killed or something? Do you really hate Apple that much?

Because you don't have to watch the video to listen to the audio and sometimes you have passengers in the car and it was directed at Zorachus because he's more open minded.

I was tempted to almost try out the Nexus 6 next, return the 6 Plus for the Nexus 6 this week to see if the N6 is the Android beast all claim it to be ? But I am very happy and comfortable with this Jailbreaked iPhone 6 Plus. The Nexus 6 I think would still be more of the same for me, and wouldn't be a night and day difference than my OnePlus One running Lollipop ?

Sure the N6 would be faster, nicer screen, etc... than the OnePlus One, but overall Lollipop on both phones, the overall user experience would feel very similar ? Not like compared to my Jailbreaked iPhone 6 Plus, which is a whole different and fresh new experience to me.

I've used the Nexus 6. It's a really nice big phone, but I don't know that you'd necessarily like it more. It's wider than the 6 Plus, the battery life is merely "alright" (one day rather than around two) and the camera is good, but not as good as the iPhone's. Its biggest appeals are that quad HD display and the ambient notifications.

That is very true. Geeks are terrible about seeing things from other's perspectives. I will say this though, my wife got a Note Edge for Christmas and spent a little time customizing the screen to her liking. To do what she accomplished on an iPhone she would have had to invest a good deal of time jailbreaking an iPhone. That's not a big deal for us but for someone that doesn't know where to even begin there's a significant amount of time involved.

That's why the thought that you get an iPhone if you want to turn it on and go annoys me. If turning it on and going is all you want both phones function exactly the same. If you want a phone you can customize a little bit Android is the clear time saver. If you're willing to invest a significant amount of time customizing either is a good choice.

Tinkering is only a waste of time if you're not learning something relevant that you can earn an income from. In the case of Android tinkering you're learning Linux which powers the majority of the web plus some so it's pretty relevant.

Tinkering is only a waste of time if you're not learning something relevant that you can earn an income from. In the case of Android tinkering you're learning Linux which powers the majority of the web plus some so it's pretty relevant.

This is a joke, right? You're learning a tiny fraction of an OS, and even if you decide that's worth turning into full-fledged knowledge, it's not going to make many people money unless they switch careers.

Not even close. This is the equivalent of thinking that boiling eggs can get you job as an executive chef in a Michelin starred restaurant.

It's more of an equivalent of microwaving popcorn when your microwave has a popcorn button, and then think you could be an executive chef at a Michelin starred restaurant... Boiling eggs is much too high of a skill level; some people like yolk to be soft, etc.

If all you're doing is running scripts which sounds like the case here then you won't learn much but if you expose yourself to Android shell, partitioning, permissions, services, connectivity, etc. it's equivalent to Linux which is the knowledge foundation for administering Linux.

Tinkering is only a waste of time if you're not learning something relevant

Tinkering with my iphone/android is more fun than ANY game that is on a mobile platform to me. So to me, it's just something I enjoy doing.

There's a new Cydia tweak called AlternateControls that gives iOS8 the ability to have the same back button feature found on Android. I've been hoping for this feature for a long time. :)

There's a new Cydia tweak called AlternateControls that gives iOS8 the ability to have the same back button feature found on Android. I've been hoping for this feature for a long time. :)

Awesome thank you. I paid for this and enabled it, but I don't see the Nexus type software keys ?

Back