Android nerd, switched to iPhone 6 Plus

It's a pretty badass device, the 6+. My mother in law had just got one when she was here over Christmas. Shame you can't put Cyanogenmod on it.
 
I've been an Android person for the past 6 years or so. My current phone is a LG G2. I always told myself if Apple made a phone at least 4.7" I would get one. When they finally came out I still wasn't too impressed with them, so I didn't get one. About a month ago the company I work for gave me an iPhone 6 because I need to do Facetime inspections with the inspectors.

It's a whole different setup, which I didn't want to say much about it till about a week with it, but even then, I felt like I shouldn't critique the phone yet. A month later, I can probably finally say that I don't ever see myself owning an iPhone as my personal cell anytime soon. The 4.7" screen is still too small, and weirdly shaped. I could have gotten the 6+, but I figured it'd be too big for my liking, in which I was correct (friend has one and it's about as big as a Note 2, which I hated to use). Maybe if it was wider instead of taller I wouldn't mind it so much. I can't stand typing on the keyboard, and the autocorrect was horrible to me. No menu/back buttons is a huge turn off. No SD card support, so I'm stuck with whatever is left of the 16gb version.

The few things I do like about it is the camera. It's a very nice camera. The speaker is pretty good compared to some of the cell phones I have used. The finger scan on it is great. I know this one kinda contradicts myself, but it's nice to have a phone that you can hold with 1 hand, but at the same time it's a blessing and a curse.

There may be a few more pro's, but the cons definitely outweigh them for me. I'm not going to bash the iPhone though, because I can see why people like them. They just work and are simple to use, once you figure the phone out. Maybe I need more time, but I think a month with the phone is a decent amount of time to get a good feel of the phone.
 
I can't stand typing on the keyboard, and the autocorrect was horrible to me. No menu/back buttons is a huge turn off. No SD card support, so I'm stuck with whatever is left of the 16gb version.

Tried using a third-party keyboard like SwiftKey or Swype? (Yes, you can.)

Also, remember that in most "normal" apps (typically, everything that isn't a game), you can just swipe in from the left edge to go back a level. I hop between Android and iOS and don't find myself missing the back or menu buttons when on iOS... to some degree, it's a question of habit and training.
 
Exactly, that's what iOS is, a simple to use OS. Ill never understand people who want to jailbreak which hardly adds anything worthwhile to the phone IMO

It adds free apps....
 
With the 10 to 15 Jailbreak Cydia tweaks I have added to my 6+, I have to say I am starting to actually like this phone, more than I expected.

- Screen is gorgeous, very crisp and sharp, and the auto brightness settings works damn near perfectly and quickly changing going from a dark room to bright room.

- Battery life on my third day, this thing seems to last a while, easily a full day so far, but I haven't really hammered hardcore yet, but it seems like it should do the job.

- Kind of a dumb one, but I like how the phone is flat, and lays perfectly flat on a table, so I can easily use it while it's sitting on the counter top. Where my other phones were all curved on the back side, they rock back and forth using them flat on a table.

- Thing is, I still have my OnePlus One, and it has Lollipop on there, so I could swap back and forth on days I feel the need to go back to Android. Not sure just going from my OnePlus One to a Nexus 6 would be radically noticeable ? Compared to trying something different and fresh in a Jailbreaked 6+ ?

But then there are still a ton of things I miss from Android that no JB tweak can add. Like LED Notifications, or Active Display notifications like the Moto X and Nexus 6 have. Or a true software "back" button that's always there, as opposed to the strange and more difficult swipe left or right, and many others...
 
Last edited:
For better control over screen brightness, I use an app called f.lux (include the . in your search). It provides a nice range of brightness settings/colors.

I just ordered a 64GB 1+1 Sandstone phone. I've not used Android since Gingerbread, I'm looking forward to seeing how the OS has evolved. I'm not planning on dumping my iPhone unless the One and Android just blow me away with their awesomeness. I'm also considering a 6+ to add to my collection of phones for the new year.
 
I still can't get why everyone thinks a blinking LED on an Android phone is awesome. It only blinks every couple of seconds, so you have to stare at your phone unless you were lucky enough to glance at it when it blinks.

Otherwise, its probably quicker to turn the screen on for 2 seconds to see if you have a message.

I never have, nor will I ever understand this argument from Android users. And yes, I've had 3 Android phones.
 
The LED is better than nothing, but moto's screen notifications really are awesome.
The super low power usage, actual readable txt on the screen pulsing up now
and again, and if I reach for it or wave my hand over it are really, really cool.
I'd go so far as to say the only real innovation I've seen in android in a long time.
I didn't think much of it till I actually had one.
 
So, when will you be ditching your Android for a Windows phone? ;)

Funny you should mention that, my Father did just this about six months ago and I've been hoping against hope a really, really good Windows phone would come out. I'd really like to try one. If I could ever find an Icon cheap enough used I'd give it a go for a bit. I think I'd get bored with it eventually but learning a new system, a new thing, a new and different something is the big draw in most things to me in life. Once I know it and am comfortable with it, is pretty boring and I want to assimilate another. The multi roms available on android are one of it's absolute best features imo.

This is exactly what I did. iPhone->Android-> Windows Phone. I was all iPhone until the Galaxy Note 2, then stuck with that until I started to find it just a little cumbersome. I bought a Lumia 520 once when they were on sale for 30ish bucks and started setting it up for my son to use as a MP3/GPS/etc and find I really, really enjoyed using it. I bought an Ativ S to use as my day to day phone off of ebay for a song and am still waiting for a Windows Phone flagship that isn't a Verizon exclusive.

Easy way right now if you want an cheap AT&T compatible 4g Windows Phone is to buy used or snag the Lumia 635, which I think was just 60-70 bucks on Amazon. Its not anywhere near flagship but its a nice enough 4G phone for a spare until someone makes something other than the HTC One M8 for Windows, which was recommended here. Not that I minded it at all when I looked at it in the store but I think I am just going to wait until the spring to see what comes out.

My wife wanted a GNote 2 after seeing mine and we ended up getting her one. She is completely inured to the Apple way of Things Just Working, though, so she switched back to a 4s. Just got her a 6 for Christmas and after doing the transfer for her, I'm really impressed with the iPhone this go around. Not that I am going back but its a great time on the OS front.
 
I'm on verizon so there have been a couple tempting windows phones, just not cheap enough.
You'd think if they are struggling so hard for market share they would be cheaper.
Maybe one day. I just got the droid turbo a month or so ago and am waiting to see if L fixes a few things
of if I'm going to ditch it for something else. MS has some good stuff going on but I'm so invested in Google these days it'd be a bit of a pain to switch. Couple work apps are not available on Windows either.
But I still want one. My Father has been thrilled with his.
 
The HTC One M8 Windows version is probably the best Windows phone right now. I almost bought it, but the upcoming M9 is going to have a Windows version. Should be a killer phone.
 
- No LED Notification or new Lollipop "active display" I will admit that is a nice little feature. You can have your phone sitting on the counter top, and just by walking by it, know if you missed a call or text, by the way of the LED flashing or the new active display notification. But walk next to my iPhone, and it looks like it's off and no power. I have no clue if I missed a call or text, without actually picking it up, and turning the screen on.

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> LED Flash for Alerts.

- Double Tap 2 Wake, that is such an easy way to turn the phone on, I miss that. But the thumb print thing is cool too, I guess.

The "thumb print thing" is pretty damn secure.
 
iOS is still way too locked down and restricted and is never ever going to give you the freedom to work your way. My normal workflow in Android - e.g. take a picture, send it to someone using any of the IM apps I have installed, use notifications and widgets to actually get information without opening apps, integrate with my pc today without needing fancy new things like Continuity, use default apps, be able to store and manage data where I like, the list goes on and on.

All of this is without root. All of this is impossible on iOS.

And then there's the great myth - 'iOS has better apps'. Show me what apps today are actually unavailable on Android?

And pretty much every Android app has a free version. With Amazon's frequent sales, Google play credits from various promotions, I have tons of free apps. I'd have to spend a LOT more money to get anywhere close to even stock Android on iOS.

iOS is great. But if you ever get used to what Android brings to the table, you can't really go back.
 
Personally I like that Android flagship hardware is a 6 to 12 months ahead of the iPhone. The 6 doesn't even have a 1080 screen FFS. I also hate the people who buy Apple products. They'll argue you to the death that 1080 screens are stupid and 4.7" is too big blah blah blah until an iPhone comes out with it and then they'll be like "oh my fucking god itz so fucking awesome Jesus just came in my mouth through my iPhone!!!"

I solely root and that's it. Custom ROMs suck donkey dick. Amateur efforts done by assholes who think they're the hottest shit on earth because they changed the color scheme and simultaneously broke half the functionality of the phone or suck your battery life to something from 1994. Stock ROM + disabled bloat = happy life and everything works.
 
Last edited:
You clearly never owned a shitty, abandoned android phone that was turned into something worth a crap by a custom ROM... Hell even my S3 was made bearable by CM for another good year.
 
Keep in mind, this is my first iPhone since the 3G over five years ago. I have never Jailbreak before, I am brand new at this.

Anyways, nothing fancy;



And the lock screen I am using

LockInfo 8;
 
Personally I like that Android flagship hardware is a 6 to 12 months ahead of the iPhone. The 6 doesn't even have a 1080 screen FFS. I also hate the people who buy Apple products. They'll argue you to the death that 1080 screens are stupid and 4.7" is too big blah blah blah until an iPhone comes out with it and then they'll be like "oh my fucking god itz so fucking awesome Jesus just came in my mouth through my iPhone!!!"

You may want to cool it with the Android fanboy tropes.

Having a 1080p display is nice, yes, but it's not absolutely essential. Not at 4.7 inches, anyway. Remember, the Galaxy Alpha and Z3 Compact both have 720p screens at similar sizes, and that's lower-res than the iPhone 6. If you think Apple is behind, then these Samsung and Sony phones are positively ancient. Of course, the truth is that they're not. They're conscious choices to trade resolution for battery life in an easy-to-hold size.

And apart from that, Android hardware isn't usually ahead of the iPhone. It's give-and-take. Android hardware can record 4K video, but there's a surprisingly large number of crappy cameras on high-end Android phones (the Note 4 is the only phone I've seen lately without major imaging compromises). The iPhone is stuck at 8 megapixels, but it's consistently very good. As for performance? It's kind of embarrassing that Apple's dual-core 1.4GHz A8 chip can perform as well or better than the quad-core 2.3-2.5GHz Snapdragon 801 chips in most mid-size Android flagships, and it can even outdo the 2.7GHz 805 in some circumstances.

Don't stereotype. Many iPhone buyers know what they're theoretically missing. They just aren't obsessed with specs for specs' sake. Is the processor fast? Does the display look good? Does the camera take high-quality photos? Is the software easy to use? You can say "yes" to all of those with an iPhone. It isn't the best at everything, but it rarely lets people down.
 
Last edited:
I've used the iPhone 6 for a week and found it easier to use than Samsung GS5, which I gave up on after a day; I don't think there is enough ram in the GS5 to run TouchWiz well. However, I think I would pull the hair out of my head if I had to use iTunes to load my music up on my phone physically. Luckily, my music collection is all digital, all streaming. But I don't think I could use the iPhone 6 as my daily driver due to a lot of the annoyances people already named here and not having an app drawer.
 
I've used the iPhone 6 for a week and found it easier to use than Samsung GS5, which I gave up on after a day; I don't think there is enough ram in the GS5 to run TouchWiz well. However, I think I would pull the hair out of my head if I had to use iTunes to load my music up on my phone physically. Luckily, my music collection is all digital, all streaming. But I don't think I could use the iPhone 6 as my daily driver due to a lot of the annoyances people already named here and not having an app drawer.

Heh, I actually don't mind using iTunes much at all (admittedly, I'm a long-time Mac user, so iTunes is both better-behaved and something I'm familiar with). I'm always a bit baffled by the drag-and-drop music crowd... they're quick to call it easier, but I don't know what's easy about opening file windows and dragging folders versus hitting "sync." iTunes certainly makes more sense if you have local playlists or want an adaptive sync based on what you're playing. For example, I have my iPhone set to sync 6GB of my most recent songs, and 10GB of my most-played; I never have to worry about going beyond 16GB of storage even if I add a new album or want to keep my favourite tracks on hand. You just can't do do that easily with drag-and-drop.

I'll definitely agree that streaming is easier, though. So long as you have a good internet connection with a high-enough cap (or no cap at all), you don't even have to think about what you keep on your phone. I'm hoping that Apple's rumored integration of Beats into iTunes gives a Spotify/Rdio-style freedom to play whatever you want with a minimum of effort.
 
Heh, I actually don't mind using iTunes much at all (admittedly, I'm a long-time Mac user, so iTunes is both better-behaved and something I'm familiar with). I'm always a bit baffled by the drag-and-drop music crowd... they're quick to call it easier, but I don't know what's easy about opening file windows and dragging folders versus hitting "sync." iTunes certainly makes more sense if you have local playlists or want an adaptive sync based on what you're playing. For example, I have my iPhone set to sync 6GB of my most recent songs, and 10GB of my most-played; I never have to worry about going beyond 16GB of storage even if I add a new album or want to keep my favourite tracks on hand. You just can't do do that easily with drag-and-drop.

I'll definitely agree that streaming is easier, though. So long as you have a good internet connection with a high-enough cap (or no cap at all), you don't even have to think about what you keep on your phone. I'm hoping that Apple's rumored integration of Beats into iTunes gives a Spotify/Rdio-style freedom to play whatever you want with a minimum of effort.
I use Amazon Music, mostly.

The thing with dragging and dropping is that everything else we do is dragging and dropping. And, yes, I agree if you already got your iTunes all set up, you're ready to go. But for guys who hate iTunes, because it's a crappy media player and crappy store with UI that they hate, this simply isn't an easy task.
 
Some comparison shots between my other phone the OnePlus One, which is also the same 5.5" screen size, and is using a thin Diztronic case.



 
Last edited:
Nice Jailbreak feature is the ability to drag and drop files onto the iPhone like you can on Android, it is called "iFile".

I have so many JB Cydia tweaks on this iPhone 6 Plus, it performs very close to an Android phone, without all the typical Apple limitations and lock-downs. And the battery life and standby time seem to be pretty amazing so far, and with another tweak "NoSlowAnimations" this phone is fluid as water, no hiccup or slowdown or stutter whatsoever, just super fluid fast and utterly smooth everywhere in the OS, like everywhere, not once does it hiccup or pause for 1/2 second like some of my Android phones did once in awhile.
 
Cydia is really nice. It's fun o browse through the tons of hacks/mods in a nice 'app store' like experience instead of having to browse XDA forums, finding random places to download and read long threads.


It seems even in the root/mod aspect the user experience is more user friendly on Apple :)
 
I wonder if the iphone adoption rate has done much for mac computer sales?
I see a lot about iphones selling more phones (and then another article talking about android dominating the market so I don't really believe either) but I don't see many headlines tooting the apple pc/laptop sales.
All the iphone people I meet seem to have a macbook or something but I figured the lack of a carrier subsidizing the price keeps a lot of them on windows PC's still.
 
Nice Jailbreak feature is the ability to drag and drop files onto the iPhone like you can on Android, it is called "iFile".

I have so many JB Cydia tweaks on this iPhone 6 Plus, it performs very close to an Android phone, without all the typical Apple limitations and lock-downs. And the battery life and standby time seem to be pretty amazing so far, and with another tweak "NoSlowAnimations" this phone is fluid as water, no hiccup or slowdown or stutter whatsoever, just super fluid fast and utterly smooth everywhere in the OS, like everywhere, not once does it hiccup or pause for 1/2 second like some of my Android phones did once in awhile.

So after all the modding and the JB you have... almost... stock android features? Awesome ;)

Just pickin, but seriously that's what 90% of my Apple fan boy friends do. Then I root android and really show them what its like to mod a phone...
 
I wonder if the iphone adoption rate has done much for mac computer sales?
I see a lot about iphones selling more phones (and then another article talking about android dominating the market so I don't really believe either) but I don't see many headlines tooting the apple pc/laptop sales.
All the iphone people I meet seem to have a macbook or something but I figured the lack of a carrier subsidizing the price keeps a lot of them on windows PC's still.

Considering as many iphones are sold as walmart as they are in apple stores, and Apple computers aren't sold at Walmart, I am guessing no.
 
Cydia is really nice. It's fun o browse through the tons of hacks/mods in a nice 'app store' like experience instead of having to browse XDA forums, finding random places to download and read long threads.


It seems even in the root/mod aspect the user experience is more user friendly on Apple :)

You are an old school android user. There is now a simple broswer and repository just like Cydia... called Xposed. Works exactly the same, and keeps everything up to date. Also does full installs, and can change 99.99% of the OS. Also has a peer review process, unlike Cydia which relies on the trust of users. Most of the stuff on Xposed come from trusted XDA and OEM developers who work on it on the side.

Like I said earlier in the thread, many Apple people who did in fact use android, did it so long ago that they have no idea what the OS is even like anymore. It is literally that much different.

But I use a Apple device and the experience, including JB and Cydia, are exactly the same as it was on my iphone 4. And actually most of the customizations are exactly the same. Just my experience.
 
Too bad xposed doesn't work on Lollipop and the developer hasn't said if he'll work on it anytime soon again to see if he can get it to work on Android 5.0. So for now xposed is dead if your on a Nexus device or any good phone running Lollipop, which came out last year already.

Kind of wierd but Google is locking down Android tighter with lollipop and carrier phones from ATT and Verizon also getting locked and harder to modify, and Apple seems to be letting the Jailbreak scene get away with it longer than normal and allowing third party keyboards and stuff finally after all these years.

My point is I couid see them meet in the middle eventually with Google locking down their phones harder and potentially no custom recoveries allowed and Apple maybe freeing up the reins more than before and being a little more open
 
Last edited:
Ummm... There's actually activity on github for xposed... So to say that it isn't being worked on is strange. But with some of his comments, you can tell he and a few other folks are running into roadblocks.
 
Just a different Icon pack I tried out ( Andora ), looks fresh;

 
Last edited:
Seems like a lot of work to make it look like your Android out of box. Thought the attraction of iOS is so that you don't have to customize :p
 
Seems like a lot of work to make it look like your Android out of box. Thought the attraction of iOS is so that you don't have to customize :p
I'll bet over 98% of iOS users agree. They couldn't care less about customizing their iPhones. When all my friends/family who have iPhones, iPads, etc. see my jailbroken phone, they have no clue how to use it.

I'll be the vast majority of Android users don't care about rooting/customizing, either.
 
I'll bet over 98% of iOS users agree. They couldn't care less about customizing their iPhones. When all my friends/family who have iPhones, iPads, etc. see my jailbroken phone, they have no clue how to use it.

I'll be the vast majority of Android users don't care about rooting/customizing, either.

Yep. All my coworkers have Android phones, and it's funny, they all have them setup like the day they took the phone out of the box, with the default wallpaper, same app setup you get when you turn the phone on brand new for the first time, and they didn't change or move a thing. To me I find that mind blowing to be stuck with such a lame default setup, I mean Android is so powerful and great to customize, but the average Joe doesn't give a crap.

Same with the iPhone, my Jailbreak iPhone already looks radically different than the stock way most people run their iPhone.
 
You are an old school android user. There is now a simple broswer and repository just like Cydia... called Xposed. Works exactly the same, and keeps everything up to date. Also does full installs, and can change 99.99% of the OS. Also has a peer review process, unlike Cydia which relies on the trust of users. Most of the stuff on Xposed come from trusted XDA and OEM developers who work on it on the side.

Like I said earlier in the thread, many Apple people who did in fact use android, did it so long ago that they have no idea what the OS is even like anymore. It is literally that much different.

But I use a Apple device and the experience, including JB and Cydia, are exactly the same as it was on my iphone 4. And actually most of the customizations are exactly the same. Just my experience.

I've used Xposed. Bu there are a lot more apps/mods on XDA than there are in the Xposed repository. I haven't owned an iPhone for at least 2 years now but at the time Cydia had a lot more stuff, it was basically the one place where people would add apps. There are many many repositories like Xposed that you can add in Cydia and it becomes the one central place to look. I'm sure now its even more extensive.

Xposed modules only work with it. Apps on Cydia are individual apps like flushable zips or apks on Android, which is why it also has all kinds of other stuff like ringtones, wallpapers, themes.

There is no equivalent on Android, unless you use 3rd party app stores like F-Droid or Amazon, which don't have the same kind of content.
 
Also the builtin full backup in iOS, which is actually better than Nandroid, makes it really easy to restore your phone if things go wrong.

I think the whole root/mod process is actually easier on iOS -

- the jailbreak is usually done by visiting an online site or running an app, vs on Android it involves installing drivers, adb, batch files, boot into recovery mode etc

- iTunes backup and restore is really easy (the only good thing in iTunes)

- it's even better if you use iCloud

- install Cydia, add a few custom repo's, and you have a world of content t play with and customize

The main reason its much simpler is on iOS you never really replace the actual rom, bootloader, recovery etc. iOS jailbreak gives you everything you need.
 
Back
Top