And expect Memory prices to explode

The thing about tech is that it always advances - becomes cheaper/faster/more capable as time marches on. These price “scares” and supply doom and gloom write-ups always seem to go no where. If it gets bad, manufacturing capacity goes into overdrive and self corrects… may take a little time (6-12 months), but everything always seems to work itself out.

The big mannies have been cutting production on nand and memory for 6 or 8 months now. Prices have been steadily creeping back up on storage and memory unfortunately for those that missed the train.

Either load up when prices bottom out or get shafted when they go through the roof again.

It's always the same greedy game and the players never change.

And always remember:

Attachments

• Greed is eternal.jpg
    Greed is eternal.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
The thing about tech is that it always advances - becomes cheaper/faster/more capable as time marches on. These price “scares” and supply doom and gloom write-ups always seem to go no where. If it gets bad, manufacturing capacity goes into overdrive and self corrects… may take a little time (6-12 months), but everything always seems to work itself out.
Capacity can be shifted at the expense of something else but the factories to make this stuff take years and dozens of billions to build so while production on this memory can be sorted in 6-12 months it will come at the direct expense of a different memory to take its place unless some new fab plants come online dedicated to memory manufacturing in the near future

If capacity can be shifted it could be direct, but maybe it cannot ?

If it cannot there will be again not enough supply of the HMB nivida card and the lesser with regular ram will sales and that extra demand will be the price pressure ?

If capacity can be shifted it could be direct, but maybe it cannot ?

If it cannot there will be again not enough supply of the HMB nivida card and the lesser with regular ram will sales and that extra demand will be the price pressure ?
All of the big 3 are playing catch up to fill demand in regards to building fab space etc for HBM3 iirc. Their will almost assuredly be shortages due to the insane demand for it currently.
Dram and NAND? It will only be a matter of them bringing back their laid off workers and firing up the glut of lines they shut down. But only if they fail to fill corporate orders. There's lots of capacity sitting around. Who knows how long they'll continue the artificial shortages. No one knows what price points they're shooting for.

All of the big 3

So who are some of the other foundries that can produce DDR5? Are they all shut down now?
are playing catch up to fill demand in regards to building fab space etc for HBM3 iirc. Their will almost assuredly be shortages due to the insane demand for it currently.
Dram and NAND? It will only be a matter of them bringing back their laid off workers and firing up the glut of lines they shut down.

Has foundry shutdown been a thing?
But only if they fail to fill corporate orders. There's lots of capacity sitting around.
As I asked above. Any idea of just how much capacity is unused now?

Who knows how long they'll continue the artificial shortages. No one knows what price points they're shooting for.
Does this amount to collusion to fix prices? Is this something the US DOJ should look into?

So who are some of the other foundries that can produce DDR5? Are they all shut down now?

Has foundry shutdown been a thing?

As I asked above. Any idea of just how much capacity is unused now?

Does this amount to collusion to fix prices? Is this something the US DOJ should look into?
Nanya, Winbond, Powerchip, are smaller companies. They haven't shut entire foundries down iirc. Only what they need to, I don't know what percentage each is running currently.

Yes, for as long as supply and demand has been around tbh.

Not off the top of my head. There are estimates out there but it's been quite a while since the last article I read about it.

I couldn't say.

Nanya, Winbond, Powerchip,
I looked up these companies. Winbond does not even list DDR5. Nanya does list DDR5, but it's hard to see if they have/had any product here.

Powerchip doesn't list any products. Here is what they say about themselves: PSMC owns two 8-inch and three 12-inch wafer fabs with 8,000 employees; with a brand new 12-inch wafer fab under construction. So it's not exactly a small company.

I looked up these companies. Winbond does not even list DDR5. Nanya does list DDR5, but it's hard to see if they have/had any product here.

Powerchip doesn't list any products. Here is what they say about themselves: PSMC owns two 8-inch and three 12-inch wafer fabs with 8,000 employees; with a brand new 12-inch wafer fab under construction. So it's not exactly a small company.
I was just going off of my poor memory (there are several more small manufacturers not including China). I know Nanya (SKorean iirc) makes ddr4 and 5. None of those are NA companies but they sell worldwide. They're all tiny in comparison to SKHynix, Micron and Samsung. The best info/articles are behind trendforces paywall. Once in a while, usually quarterly they will release dram/nand updates for public consumption.

Back