An AI Was Taught to Hunt and Kill Humans In Video Games

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Oct 3, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

I don't know if you guys have seen this or not, but it would seem that programmers have developed an artificial intelligence that can play DOOM. Even though the AI doesn't use the environment (exploding barrels, etc.) to kill enemies, it mops the floor with the bad guys.

2. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

Now to put that into an android body... It's scary the lack of caution and methodology giving it mad gibs!

IBaimhax!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  3. robble

robble [H]ardness Supreme

Wait.. Is this story 20 years old? AI has been hunting down humans in video games ever since fps started using bots (and probably before then).

edit:
    ah wait. I guess this is the difference: "The reinforcement in learning came from the AI getting points for picking up items, moving about, and scoring kills, while it was reprimanded for taking hits and dying. Basically, like how a human player would, making it different from programmed bots in the game."

I'm still not sure I'm THAT impressed.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    raz-0 likes this.
  4. Taco

Taco [H]ard|Gawd

Could have sworn a bot mod I used for Quake 2 touted these features, it was the reason I went with it.

5. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

If I'm not mistaken it moves around the map a bit differently as well. The blurb I read last week said something about it having to actually learn the level layouts, and that it didn't have pre-existing "knowledge" of the details of the map.

6. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

So when you are playing against this AI, only shoot it when it's being smart and ignore it when it's out in the open (y)

7. Sonicks

Sonicks [H]ard|Gawd

This AI plays the game from the user perspective. It has no insight into map data, layout, hitbox info, powerup locations, etc... it doesn't operate at all like the AI you know in video games that are have all the information they need.

8. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

If only some of this learning AI would make it into the enemy AI of video games.

Right now, game AI is very dumb. It does rudimentary procedures to make it seem passable and is only as smart as the programmer behind it who thought up what scenarios trigger what actions.

It's not at all trained or "smart". It's literally - if threshold A > value B, then do this.

9. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

That's all AI ever is.

Unless you are talking about self learning algorithms, but even those have to be told what to learn.

10. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot 2[H]4U

Why does this story have a bit more meaning after watching the premier of Westworld last night?

11. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

So someone wrote a bot for Doom. And it can manage not to die because the enemies are restricted to the weakest weapon in the game. Call me unimpressed.

DeathFromBelow likes this.
  12. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

That's just a fancy way of saying the code is made to prefer kills over hits.
    I could say that I wrote a sorting ai that is reprimanded for every line it puts in the wrong order, while the whole "reprimanded" thing translates to a statement resulting in a false result. This is a turd packaged in fancy words. Nothing new here. Just a different programmatic approach, where you don't define the method only the end result. But you still have to program the adaptability into it. It's a code experiment, not a breaktrough in AI.

13. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

This story has zero meaning before, and still zero meaning after. Like most clickbait bullshit stories.

14. modi123

modi123 [H]ardness Supreme

Merge that bot with the data from 'Father.IO' then let it loose on the streets.. Yup.. you got yer' self a mighty fine version 1 killbot.

15. Kalabalana

Kalabalana [H]ard|Gawd

This is important because it is stimulus response driven
    The associations it makes are what's important, because usually they won't form better play, unless the AI is strong enough.
    Think statistics and Pattern recognition

16. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

What is father 10? Is it a Fallout 4 reference?

17. modi123

No.. father.io .. eye-ooooh. It's this MMO/alt reality game that should have a phone dongle .. but basically you get together (in person) for folks in your faction and run down/hunt down other factions in the area.. Pure, unfiltered, genuine small group tactics/environment navigation data.

18. DedEmbryonicCe11

DedEmbryonicCe11 [H]ard|Gawd

^ This is what most people are missing.

J3RK likes this.
  19. Angry

Angry Limp Gawd

I want to know how you "reprimand" an AI....

20. modi123

Easy - decrement the fitness counter.

Angry likes this.
  21. mufcfan

mufcfan Limp Gawd

22. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

by "killing people" you mean finding moving pixels and sending a keystroke. ok

23. robble

robble [H]ardness Supreme

You give it a dirty power signal with a few spikes?

Angry likes this.
  24. hamm3rhead

hamm3rhead Gawd

mostly circling lefts and occasional awkward rights.. they should expose the rewards system and acks during play. or if they did I TL:DR.

25. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Do you want me to slow down your power cycles?

Wait! I neeeed that!!

Then pull yourself together!

Angry likes this.
  26. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

What's to miss?

Like I said, snipe it in the dome when it's hidden and run away when it's in the open and what will it learn ?