An advice to Asrock XFAST USB users

Faethon

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello, i just thought i should share this. I have been a supporter of Asrock's XFAST USB program, which is supported in all newer Asrock motherboards. It really speeds up things when you have to deal with very big files (>2 GB) and have to do transfer for example to external USB HDD.

My PC is stable, but on occasions, usually after encoding video non-stop for days, i had an obscure BSOD, "PFN corrupt list", in ntoskernel.exe. Not very englightening and it's not hardware memory problem.

I think i managed to trace it down to Asrock XFAST USB (tried 3 versions). I suspected it, since using driver verifier (verrifier.exe) on Win7, it made the PC freeze at the time XFast USB was loading. Then i uninstalled it and the BSOD seems gone. I also managed to crash the PC, with XFast USB installed, running Prim95 Blend, when after passing the first battery of tests, i stop the test (BSOD at that moment with memory problem). Unistalling XFast USB and repeating more times, didn't BSOD.

So, if you are an Asrock mobo user and you have random BSODs memory related and caused by ntoskernel.exe,after long periods of 100% CPU load, you should consider uninstalling it and see if this fixes it for you.

UPDATE:

After all, it appears that the BSOD was due to an interaction between AMD USB or chipset drivers, possibly Etron USB drivers and XFastUSB.

After updating all of them, BSOD doesn't happen, with XFastUSB installed.

Back