AMD's ATI Eyefinity Technology Review @ [H]

I think one other thing all of us need to remember is if this gains wider acceptance the fact is the game devs will fix the code to display the games correctly and the price on this sort of set up will drop as money is made from volume not just the niche market. I like the idea of this even if only play an mmo. Now i need a bigger desk and and excuse to buy more monitors.

I think one other thing all of us need to remember is if this gains wider acceptance the fact is the game devs will fix the code to display the games correctly and the price on this sort of set up will drop as money is made from volume not just the niche market. I like the idea of this even if only play an mmo. Now i need a bigger desk and and excuse to buy more monitors.

All of that empty and wasted desk space isn't enough of an excuse? :)

I've got an L-Desk that looks naked without at least 3x 22" monitors.. I shouldn't have to look at a naked desk all day.

Kyle,

Since I built my new machine last year, I've been looking for a way to span games across my 2 22"s. Would this technology work to replace XP's span mode that was unceremoniously removed from Vista and 7?

I'd like to be able to spread my games across both monitors. Run it at 3360x1050. Could I accomplish this with a 5870?

[L]imey;1034684888 said:
Kyle,

Since I built my new machine last year, I've been looking for a way to span games across my 2 22"s. Would this technology work to replace XP's span mode that was unceremoniously removed from Vista and 7?

I'd like to be able to spread my games across both monitors. Run it at 3360x1050. Could I accomplish this with a 5870?

Vista or Win7 required.

All of that empty and wasted desk space isn't enough of an excuse? :)

I've got an L-Desk that looks naked without at least 3x 22" monitors.. I shouldn't have to look at a naked desk all day.

Personally, I can currently fit one 22 and a small 19 inch....then again, its an old desk:

dsc0001sg.jpg

the issue with the current multi-screen gaming is that the game is only using a single camera. as the
fov in the perspective projection gets wider, you get increasing artifacts towards the edges. in order to get rid of the artifacts, the game developers will need to use multiple cameras which fit the fov of each
individual screen which are all centered at the same point of projection and tile the results across the
framebuffer in multiple viewports. im not a gamer, but imagine this will take a generation or two of
games to trickle down to most games but ive done similar things for mods. nvidia has similar
technology available only for their quadroplex line of products, and perhaps higher end quadros. its a
damn shame its unavailable in their desktop line, although i bet amd will be convincing them it might
not be a bad idea.

So, how big is the nausea factor? I know when I first went from a 20" to my widescreen 30", that I became a little motion sick for a little while (over it now) having that much of my field of vision taken up. Same for going from a 34" to 50" TV. I can imagine that much screen real estate ups the factor a bit.

Have you heard anything more about the Samsung thin bezel monitors? I'm going to have to buy new monitors for Eyefinity anyway, so I'm wondering how long I should hold out for the thin bezel ones.

Samsung hand carried the thin bezel monitors from Korea you might have recently seen to the 5800 launch event in California. They are early samples. A representative from Samsung told us to expect them in retail before Christmas and to expect them to sell for around $300 each. I will suspect you will see them sold in sets of 3 with a mounting setup for around $1000 from what I was lead to believe.

So, how big is the nausea factor? I know when I first went from a 20" to my widescreen 30", that I became a little motion sick for a little while (over it now) having that much of my field of vision taken up. Same for going from a 34" to 50" TV. I can imagine that much screen real estate ups the factor a bit.

Glad you asked. I had my wife play NSF Shift. She is NOT a gamer, and pretty much never games except for the occasional Frogger excursion on the Xbox360.

She got motion sick almost immediately and was sick for hours. The seasoned gamers that used the 3x1 Eyefinity setup had no issues at all. It can make you feel a bit disoriented for a moment, but never made anyone else sick.

Moral of the story: If you got balls, no problem. :cool:

[L]imey;1034685004 said:
Yeah i'm on 7 64 bit now.

I can't watch the video as I'm at the office right now, but would I be unable to add a 3rd DVI based monitor at a later date using a hdmi to dvi adapter?

This is what I said in another thread:
AMD has made us understand that a 3 DVI Eyefinity configuration can work with an active DP to DVI adapter. You cannot use a simple passthrough connector. This is the only one I could find to test with. I have not been able to get it to work in my testing, and it may be due to my adapter. The current 24" 3x1 Eyefinity setting I am using is using two DVI and one DP.

Also, it is my understanding that in the near future you will NOT need an active adapter to output through DP to DVI or HDMI.

Let me qualify that last sentence because it is confusing now that I re-read it. AMD has NEVER suggested that a triple DVI setup for Eyefinity will not require an active adapter. (And AMD is working on certifying active adapters for triple DVI Eyefinity configurations NOW.) There is however is the ability to put "active adapter" technology on the video card itself so that when you plug a passive DVI into the DP, it recognizes it and adapts the signal. I do NOT know if this is doable on a video due to design issues or cost. I do not know if this is something we will even see on a 5800 either.

I was looking through the screenshots touting this technology (my guess is direct from ATI) and noticed that some of them contained monitors with extremely thin bezels. Those were sexy :). Any other info released concerning those yet that i've missed?

So basically I've got a find a 22" monitor with a Display Port input to match up to my 2 22's with DVI, or wait for the adapter to come available. Got it.

Any idea where I can find a 22" with dp?

Totally agree...I have the Apple 30" Display, and all this time I thought Eyefinity would work with me setting up two 20" 1600x1200res monitors on either side flipped upright in Portrait mode, so all three monitors would then have 1600res vertical height across all three.

They better get that working, it can't be that dificult to have Portrait + Landscape + Portrait ?

20 + 30 + 20 isn't quite as straightforward as it seems. Sure on the face of it you have a consistent resolution, however the side monitors still have to be sent a 1600x1200 resolution (instead of the internally rendered 1200x1600). So there needs to be some logic inbetween that flips the signal. It is not longer a simple divide and conquer of the internally rendered resolution. Depending upon how the output paths and are configured this might be more difficult than it seems.

Kyle the only thing I want to know right now is the prospects of using Crossfire on Eyefinity. As I understand it, it doesn't work right now, which is kind of disappointing. You would think that Crossfire is perfect for Eyefinity to give you that extra processing power. Have you heard anything from AMD on whether they plan to eventually support Crossfire with Eyefinity, or should I sell my second 5870 now and save some money?

Nice info on the Samsung displays Kyle, 300$ doesn't seem too unreasonable for a ... 23" was it? I hope they do offer a 3x1 configuration and not just the 3x2 that we have already seen.

[L]imey;1034685081 said:
So basically I've got a find a 22" monitor with a Display Port input to match up to my 2 22's with DVI, or wait for the adapter to come available. Got it.

Kyle posted a list of DP capable monitors.. one of which is a Dell 22" the P2210H.. 1920x1080 resolution, priced reasonably at $189 currently.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8323

personally, I'll have to go in for 3 of them.. I have a viewsonic 24" that I like at the moment, but the bezel is too thick compared to those 22s.

Kyle posted a list of DP capable monitors.. one of which is a Dell 22" the P2210H.. 1920x1080 resolution, priced reasonably at $189 currently.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8323

personally, I'll have to go in for 3 of them.. I have a viewsonic 24" that I like at the moment, but the bezel is too thick compared to those 22s.

Yeah I need something that does 1680x1050 to match my other 2. Guess I'll have to wait for the DVI adapter.. Oh well, this gives me something to look forward to as a project for next year :)

Great Review
and special thanks for the great song at the begiinning of the video. 311 - large in the margin. I love it. ^^

I was looking through the screenshots touting this technology (my guess is direct from ATI) and noticed that some of them contained monitors with extremely thin bezels. Those were sexy :). Any other info released concerning those yet that i've missed?

A few posts up.

[L]imey;1034685081 said:

There are two of them linked on the review page under the video with a bunch of others.

Kyle the only thing I want to know right now is the prospects of using Crossfire on Eyefinity. As I understand it, it doesn't work right now, which is kind of disappointing. You would think that Crossfire is perfect for Eyefinity to give you that extra processing power. Have you heard anything from AMD on whether they plan to eventually support Crossfire with Eyefinity, or should I sell my second 5870 now and save some money?

Nice info on the Samsung displays Kyle, 300$ doesn't seem too unreasonable for a ... 23" was it? I hope they do offer a 3x1 configuration and not just the 3x2 that we have already seen.

I have addressed this repeatedly and consistently in regards to CrossFireX both in writing and video. Here it is again: Yes, CrossFireX with Eyefinity will be supported in the future. It is currently only a software limitation as told to me by AMD.

As spelled out above, yes, Samsung will offer a 3x1 package of the thin bezel monitors.

I am trying to get a 1280x720 H.264 encode of the video available for you now through our provider. Not sure if it will work or not. About 800MB, but you can see the gameplay very awesomely. :)

It's sooo hard to get everyone to read all the posts and watch the review before they chime in.. We are an excited and (lazy) group apparently..

This technology is pretty cool. I would assert that 3 widescreen monitors in a portrait configuration will be the best way to go for most applications and gaming, especially if you work with graphics and photography.

I am drooling at the prospect of photoshopping in this sort of environment. The extreme length of the 3x1 wide setup offers little advantage because your photographs are going to be 4:3 or 5:4, unless you are merging some panoramas, the extra space is simply wasted, whereas with the vertical orientation you will be able to use the space much more effectively. This also helps eliminate the distortion of the edges issue in-game, meaning you don't have to wait on game developers or AMD to come out with aspect fixes.

Too bad my desk is small :(

I'm greatly awaiting the 5850 review.I've always been a budget gamer and I won't be able to afford more monitors anytime soon, so I don't necessarily want to pay the premium for the eyefinity technology right now, but would like the option in the future. I may force myself to wait for prices to come down...

I think this brings the score between nv and amd to 3-0 over the last 2 weeks. DX11 support, then AMD's Zing! answers to NV's questions... and now Eyefinity in the real world.

NV better come up with something quick... remember, competition is good for the consumer!

Ok, thank you. In your experience did they look like a standard Samsung monitor only with thinner bezels? Or was there a hint of LED backlighting or 120Hz, or some other one of the unique things starting to appear in monitors? Did you happen to see them next to a 20" or 24" that would let you guess at what screen size they are?

I've been planning to use two of these so that I don't have anything sitting directly on my desk: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5560&seq=1&format=2

I'm just trying to decide if it would make more sense for me to go for one of those Dell deals like the recent one that sold 3 Samsung 23"s for $160 each and then get two of those monoprice mounts. If the thin bezel one's only unique feature is a thinner bezel then it would make sense for me to save half the money and go with a model that's already out. If however it includes LED backlighting, or 120Hz then I think waiting and paying the $300 each sounds better. (LED backlighting is suppose to make colors jump out more right? Especially impressive on games I've read.)

A pity that that is backordered :(

Kyle I have to ask do you recommend the Dell U2410's if price is no object? Are they great monitors? They look awesome in the video but in real life are they worth it? I'm really considering it..

Ok, thank you. In your experience did they look like a standard Samsung monitor only with thinner bezels? Or was there a hint of LED backlighting or 120Hz, or some other one of the unique things starting to appear in monitors? Did you happen to see them next to a 20" or 24" that would let you guess at what screen size they are?

Honestly, I do not pay enough attention to that sort of thing to know. The displays were 24" from what I saw, but I did not measure them.

There are a lot of guys here smarter than me when it comes to displays, I would rely on them before myself.

It's sooo hard to get everyone to read all the posts and watch the review before they chime in.. We are an excited and (lazy) group apparently..

Hehe, ain't the first time! :)

Kyle I have to ask do you recommend the Dell U2410's if price is no object? Are they great monitors? They look awesome in the video but in real life are they worth it? I'm really considering it..

I have been happy with them, but again, check the display forum, there is a 12 page thread in there about the U2410.

Did anyone else notice the odd ad placement by google for women's clothing? I thought it was just me but a buddy of mine got the same ads.

Awesome... Eyefinity... let me pick up some clothes as well?

Kyle, great review. I am willing to be you have been waiting for something like this to be properly implemented since the late lamented Matrox Millenium flop.

What a great review Kyle. Just pulled the trigger on a 5870 in hopes that when my wife leaves me for buying it I can sell her wedding ring for 3 monitors and use her bureau as a stand for them.

One question: how long before monitors offer true edge-to-edge display, or is there some reason beyond my ken why that aint never gonna happen?

Wow, really grabs you by the balls seeing it in full motion.

Flight and driving Sims would rock of course, and the advantage in FPSs will be great.

However, how sad is it that the one game that I can't stop imagining this in is EVE.

THAT will be sick.

BTW, removing the bezels and butting the frames together isn't that hard and it makes the gap only about 1/4". Or, if that's scary, you could tuck the side monitors bezel behind the centers bezel from your PoV. Now I just need a desk that can fit 3 across.

Thanks for the peek Kyle, could we get another 30 mins of just game play? In HD? Just to tide me over till I get this rig together? ;)

Hehehe

So 3x1 or 1x3 panels is all good and what not...

Still want to know (cause I haven't been able to find it anywhere) if you can use 3xTH2G to run a total of nine panels.

WHY?

Cause it would be [H]ard.

is an awesome review of all the monitors that sport DVI and DisplayPort so that we can decide just how many monitors we are gonna get ;).

Also, isn't Samsung working on some kind of "special" ultra-thin bezel displays to compliment this new tech?

Keep up the great work guys. Love what you do here!

You know what is neat about the video, Alex sits there and follows Kyle, seriously! Watch the video, at one point (i'll have to go back and note the time) Kyle waves his hand at the side screen, and Alex's eyes immediately follow his hand movement! Now that's realism! Seriously, watch the video again and keep an eye on Alex.

Edit/ at 13:24 in, as soon as Kyle puts his hand at the screen Alex jumps a little bit, then watch, as he moves his right hand to the right side panel, Alex is watching that hand! Then watch from there, she will watch him talking looking directly at him! Then she does it again right after 14 minutes in, she follows his right hand!

Last edited:
Great review as always Kyle. This is a great technology for gaming however I will definitely be waiting until it matures. The images not lining up on either side of the bezels would drive me crazy. Not being able to use 3 DVI ports (why not 3 HDMI ports?) and games not supporting beyond a *x1200 resolution. I think these are something both ATI and game developers can work on in the future to bring PC gaming to whole new level. Can't wait to see what the future of Eyefinity will bring.

is an awesome review of all the monitors that sport DVI and DisplayPort so that we can decide just how many monitors we are gonna get ;).

Also, isn't Samsung working on some kind of "special" ultra-thin bezel displays to compliment this new tech?

Keep up the great work guys. Love what you do here!

Yes, we discussed it back and forth over the past few pages.

I wonder what difference TN vs IPS will make with 3 side by side screens if you didn't want to tilt them (and get that angle problem since the game expects the screens to be side by side).

I always thought the TN vs IPS argument was just people being picky, I never had any problems with my monitor, and I figured it was a TN because when I bought it - it wasn't significantly more expensive than other monitors and I didn't even know about IPS. Well, turns out when I actually look it up my monitor was IPS all this time (Dell 2005FPW), so I guess that explains why I never knew what people were talking about in regards to the complaints about TN.

Very nice review. I just got a 28 inch Hanns-G and I am already thinking of using three of them but I need a lot more space and a lot more money.

You know what is neat about the video, Alex sits there and follows Kyle, seriously! Watch the video, at one point (i'll have to go back and note the time) Kyle waves his hand at the side screen, and Alex's eyes immediately follow his hand movement! Now that's realism! Seriously, watch the video again and keep an eye on Alex.

Edit/ at 13:24 in, as soon as Kyle puts his hand at the screen Alex jumps a little bit, then watch, as he moves his right hand to the right side panel, Alex is watching that hand! Then watch from there, she will watch him talking looking directly at him! Then she does it again right after 14 minutes in, she follows his right hand!

Neat? It's creepy. She's staring at him hardcore, then he turns towards the screen and she looked away. Then he turns back towards the camera and she immediately starts staring at him again. Then when he turns towards the display again just briefly - she repeats that cycle again! Almost as if she can see him.

Kyle, great video review dude. I would rather watch you video reviews then read 6 pages of info.

Very nice review. I just got a 28 inch Hanns-G and I am already thinking of using three of them but I need a lot more space and a lot more money.

I have been thinking this very same thing but I do have the cash at the moment to do it just trying to make sure its the right path to take.

This review begs the question is it better to just get a giant screen rather than spend the money for multiple monitors? I'd rather go the big screen route. Higher resolution, no borders around the multiple displays to piece the image together, and quite possibly cheaper.

Back