• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD X4 - random BSOD,what to do next

Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
7
Some days it just sucks to be me.

about 6 months ago I built up a AMD X4 II 955 with a Gigabyte MA786GMT motherboard. 8gb Gskill ram and a Corseair 750w power supply.

I had problems getting windows 7 to install but that turned out to be a defective DVD drive. It worked fine for 5 weeks then started to give random BSOD errors. Since it was outside of direct replacement warranty, I started to look into what components could be causing the problem.

Tried moving around the ram, going down to pairs and single stick. Still got the random errors. I found that if I re-installed Win7 clean, the problem would go away for 3-5 weeks.

Replaced the power supply as I could do that without much cost. Problem still persists.

The errors started to be mostly around the ATI drivers, so I disabled the onboard video and put in a new video card. Problem went away for 6 weeks, then came back again.

So bought a new motherboard last week, (ASUS M4A88TD-V evo) and it worked for 1 week before more BSOD errors.

The only thing left that hasn't been replaced is the CPU. Am I just burning money and my sanity, or is it worth seing if I can return the ASUS motherboard with restocking and try a new CPU on the old Gigabyte motherboard?

What would you do?

Matt
 
should I eat the $140 for the Asus motherboard as it has USB3 and SATA6 and just buy a new CPU

as I still don't know if the Gigabyte board works or not. chances are slim that both the CPU and the original motherboard are both defective. But I know my luck
 
should I eat the $140 for the Asus motherboard as it has USB3 and SATA6 and just buy a new CPU

No. Also, you didn't mention testing or replacing the hard drive. Might want to look into that.
 
I have tried it with 4 different hard drives in both IDE, RAID and ASIC modes. So I know it's not that. Also, tried it with Win7 64bit and WinXP Pro.

it's funny in that you get a whole string of BSOD errors. like 0x8e, 0x0a and 0x24 from today.

Now all these if taken in common point to some sort of failure of a controler driver that has gone funky. I am trying to use the RAID drivers to get mirroring as I have had a hard drive go corrupt on my once.

I have had many computers that I have built, but this is the first one that has caused this many problems.
 
Back
Top