AMD, Where Are You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd happily run Matrox or 3dFX or whatever comes around thats competitive and not NV.

Marketing wank to try and get people hyped for your product isn't the same as straight out lying. Not gonna get much excitement if you launch with "It's not as good as these guys' stuff, BUT WE TRIED REALLY HARD!"

The last NV card I owned was in 2003, which is when I found this website, when Kyle uncovered the 3dmark cheat in the drivers.
Follow that with Agea, and the lies on what they were going to do with PhysX
The 970 scandal
Gameworks fucking everyone
G-Sync
Driver gimping accusations
$1500 video card because fuck you.
Patent infringements, then try to sue the people who's patent you're infringing on.

Not someone I want to give my money to.

LOL yeah

So you won't even go with AMD then,

They did 3dmark cheats too

They also did AA/AF cheats (nV did as well)

$1500 card don't remember the the 1500 x2 AMD made? yeah it was less then what nV had but still.... Both rediculous prices for dual GPU cards. Single gpu cards $1500 bucks isn't bad when there is no competition and its performance is warranted. Its not like someone is making you buy that card.

Driver gimp accusations: that is all it was accusations (you need to read up more on that one)

Game works, can be turned off, so not sure where you are going with that one.......

The only thing that can hold up there is the 970, and they got sued and they have to pay out.....

Go back to VIA or Intel IGP, cause those are the only companies that are available for you for, Matrox is using AMD GPU's now.

So that is all you are left with.

And the marketing wank that AMD has been doing, just hurts them at the end, they deserve what they get when they over hype products and they fall flat on their face. It is happening.

No they lied about the rx480 power draw, they obscured its performance/watt many many times over. They lied about it when showing P11 vs the gtx 950 in a simulated test for power usage. They gave expectations that weren't realistic at all.

http://blog.clientheartbeat.com/customer-expectations/

This is what has been happening to AMD for years now!

If a customer feels like you did not deliver a service that was expected, they won’t come back and buy from you again

This is why they have been loosing marketshare, both CPU and GPU, they keep saying things that they don't deliver on. This also makes it much harder when they do have a good product (competitive) for people to switch back to them. If OEM's are the major seller for these companies (which they are, they sell the lion's share of product) those companies that buy in volume want a steady partner that delivers on their promises, once burned its hard to remake that bridge.

Now to all the people that expect AMD to out perform nV in graphics stop expecting that, because that will increase the hype to a crazy level which AMD can't possible attain, and if they do get to above and beyond nV, Great! competition is back and we can have great discussions at that point!

Manage promises – to manage expectations, companies can first start managing their promises. The study found that some observers recommended deliberately under-promising the service to increase the likelihood of exceeding customer expectations. This is something I regularly recommend to our customers all the time. There’s nothing worse than over-promising and under-delivering! Keep in mind that there are some risks with under promising as it can reduce your competitive appeal, so make sure you are aware of your competitive environment.

Just a cursory look at Polaris's launch and you can see AMD fell short of this, granted they did try to, but fanboy hype and online websites for click bait really did a number on them. But added to AMD's marketing people as well.

And lets not even get into what they talked about nV without even knowing what nV was capable of, if anything they should very well know nV's capabilities and they should have just kept their mouth shut (marketing and technical marketing from AMD) They shouldn't make things up because it makes them look better in the short term because when reality hits, its going to hit like a hammer, those people loose credibility.

Last edited:
I'd happily run Matrox or 3dFX or whatever comes around thats competitive and not NV...................................

One small tip: For the love of God, DON'T buy 3dFX GPUs since 3dFX has been bought from NVidia since 2000, so probably you wouldn't like to... indirectly-enhance NV's cause!! :ROFLMAO:

It's funny how you try to pass yourself as unbiased though...

Well tell me something that is wrong with what I stated, then we can talk about it........

Do you see anywhere that AMD has changed since the Fiji launch? Anything from their marketing, to BS they have been spewing in the financial calls?

Is there any change in their hardware, are they any more competitive then they were last gen or the gen before?

The only thing I see so far is they are milking as much as they can get out of GCN with a lower node. Yeah front end changes are there for Polaris, but those front end changes don't even catch up to what nV has been doing for the past 3 generations! the rx480 polygon through put finally catches up to the gtx 960, which is a gen older and a tier lower!

How can you compare power consumption when an rx480 uses as much as a 1070 but performance is 50% lower? Perf/watt AMD has been behind for 3 gens now!

This are problems that should have been overcome within a generation because they were so easy to see, reviewers even talked about them on initial reviews of those cards. Its not as if AMD didn't see these issues. Not only that, ever generation AMD has stretched out the same tech these problems have been getting more pronounced. Now with Maxwell 2 to Pascal, nV did not change its pipelines or core architecture. What is going to happen with Volta, Volta's projections are quite apparent going to give nV even more then what we saw with Keplar to Maxwell if they hit their projections. From AMD's own time lines and projections, they don't seem to be getting to where Volta is because their projections Vega won't match Pascal.

Did we ever see this much trouble in catching up in tech in GPU companies?

Look at any screwed up architecture (relative to the competition so there are varying degrees here), we have never seen this much trouble in catching up. The longer a company doesn't fix their issues to compete in this type of marketplace the farther they fall behind. One generation hit, in financial terms is much more then one generation even if the problems are fixed quickly. But at least the bleeding will stop if fixed that quickly, When things are not fixed, that bleeding becomes systemic, and hurts much more to the fact of what we are seeing what is going on with AMD graphics division right now. Why you think Raja stated, they are in not such a good position when it comes to talent? Is it really talent? IP is a deficit here. Where nV in the past 3 gens have changed their architecture, built on their IP, introducing IP from Tegra into their desktop line up, AMD has done none of that, not even that they weren't even capable of introducing mobile tech into their GPU's because they sold off their mobile division! Instead of building on their own IP they helped other companies create HBM, which gave them nothing at the end but a product that barely matched a year old architecture (fiji vs. maxwell 2, not the chips themselves).

AMD caused their own shortcomings thinking of immediate monetary gains. What do you think they have been doing with watering down their stock by issues more shares? I think its a good way of getting rid of their debt, but this is short term stuff here. Cause if Zen comes out, and Intel's response (Coffee Lake/Cannon Lake (10nm from Intel will come out about 1 year before GF or any other foundry will be ready to make large complex chips on 10nm so pricing for Intel will be back on their side when you look at the total scale of manufacturing) is more then just their 15% increase, AMD will be back to square one). Right now the most we have seen Zen is being competitive with Broadwell right? Skylake is already faster then Broadwell, and we already know Kaby has a clock speed advantage over Skylake at the same power usage. So Best case scenario if we take AMD's word for it, they are still behind by 15% as of what we see today, so if we factor in just the normal increases Intel has been doing, we are looking at a 30% disparity.

What is the turn around with that, when they do make changes to their IP, the nuances of what is going to bottleneck the chip can be seen and more fixes can be done. Its a natural progression of tech, small changes that are evolutionary till you are ready to make a great leap with a new architecture. This is how Intel and nV have been working for ever, ATI did the same thing too! AMD because they don't have the cash, stepped away from this. They are sitting here and milking for all that their tech is worth, and everyone can see it and that is why they aren't selling. Now Zen is supposed to be a break through architecture but if it doesn't catch up with what Intel has already on the market, you can't expect it to go above and beyond that cause AMD will be stuck with that architecture for 5 years, this goes for GCN too, their architectural time frame for GCN was 5 years, much too long on the graphics side. While Intel and nV have increased their iterations cycles for architecture, AMD has slowed down. All I can 100% say from Zen's point of view right now because there is no visibility in what Intel is doing is they "might" have a reprieve from what has been going on for the past decade in the tune of 3 years, 2 generation from Intel if Intel hasn't been planning for Zen.

On the GPU side, Polaris killed expectations for Vega, because again they are going to use HBM to cut down the perf/watt advantage that nV has. The 6 extra months Vega's design vs Polaris's design just doesn't give much confidence of the low level changes that would be necessary to remain competitive.

There are more then one way to skin a cat, but when you look at what has been going on, and the possibilities of what AMD has shown thus far form their GPU's and CPU's, the best we can hope for realistically is keeping things close, because AMD hasn't shown us anything above and beyond what is already out there. And we all know Marketing, PR, the spin doctors try to show their best because that is what they get paid to do. Added to this if they are coming out later, which they are what 3 quarters to 4 quarters later, GPU and CPU, guess what, close isn't good enough. Fiji kept it close right? But they were 9 months late, and it didn't help in any way or form from marketshare or margins? Vega is going to be more then that.... So you think keeping it close will do the trick?

Last edited:
In case you missed one of [H]'s latest reviews, let me recap for you:

How about that. Sure looks like [H] agrees with my assessment that the RX480 is "plenty good" for 1080P and "decent" for 1440P.

Yep.

Decent assuming you are willing to lower settings.

You really are trying too hard.

Yep.

Decent assuming you are willing to lower settings.
The RX480 can run games at the same settings at 1080P as the GTX 1070. At 1440P the RX480 is at High while the 1070 can do Very High. So for half the cost of a GTX1070 I will have to lower settings one notch should I ever move to 1440P? I think I can live with that.

You really are trying too hard.

Looks like you and the other diehard Nvidia hardware elitists are the ones trying too hard here.

Looks like you and the other diehard Nvidia hardware elitists are the ones trying too hard here.

Bookmarked for when JPR and Mercury numbers are published.
Only one trying too hard here is you...

JPR, Mercury, both showed this last quarter, volume was down 20% nV took the entire brunt of the seasonal weakness, Q2 for many years has been week for GPU sales.

nV's quarterly sales Q2 2016 went from ~9 million sales down to ~6 million sales. AMD quarter sales went from ~2.7 went up to ~2.8, pretty much flat.

Now with a 3% increase in margins which is what nV stated this quarter, its easy to figure out, they gained that 3 million lost volume back this quarter. We have two variables in a single formula, all that needs to be done is a little bit of calculus to figure them out (it won't be exact but it will come out close)

PS there are one assumption that I have taken is total sales volume for the entire discrete graphics sales (peak) is level, which going by history has been level, there has been no growth in total graphics sales in years.

Does that account for sales % for that Quarter( Share) or overall GPU Market share?

GPU sales drop for NV and Flat for AMD, does not equal people waiting for Nvidia cards, it equals less % of people buying NV cards, and EVEN more people than usual, buying AMD cards, since their numbers stayed flat, and did not drop, it's actually an increase in the market.

Again, that doesn't necessarily mean people were WAITING for pascal, the only way for that to make sense, is for both camps to drop in % sales that quarter, not just 1.

Does that account for sales % for that Quarter( Share) or overall GPU Market share?

GPU sales drop for NV and Flat for AMD, does not equal people waiting for Nvidia cards, it equals less % of people buying NV cards, and EVEN more people than usual, buying AMD cards, since their numbers stayed flat, and did not drop, it's actually an increase in the market.

Again, that doesn't necessarily mean people were WAITING for pascal, the only way for that to make sense, is for both camps to drop in % sales that quarter, not just 1.

The numbers are based on a single quarter.

if you actually read the report you know why. And no, people didn't wait for Pascal as the reason. Also AMD didn't sell more cards than usual.

The numbers are based on a single quarter.

if you actually read the report you know why. And no, people didn't wait for Pascal as the reason. Also AMD didn't sell more cards than usual.

They did, based on market share %, not actual volume.

(And also according to Razors post)

Razor1 said:
nV's quarterly sales Q2 2016 went from ~9 million sales down to ~6 million sales. AMD quarter sales went from ~2.7 went up to ~2.8, pretty much flat.

The volume went up slightly, and the % of sales for the quarter went up considerably.

Last edited:
I was waiting for Pascal / Polaris to come out before buying. It's why we gamed on the iGPU for over a year after building our computers. I really wanted to get the RX 480 but when I realized that both the power draw and the performance wasn't where I wanted it, Pascal became the only legitimate path. Which was a pity considering that we were a red household for about a decade (on the GPU side).

Seasonal weakness is more due to OEM, during Q2 OEM sales drop, this is normal, we see this in Intel CPU's too. We can still nV having left over inventory of maxwell 2 cards, Dell and HP are still selling them, even though they were EOL'ed end of 1st quarter this year. We also know Pascal's supply issues were there for 1 quarter after launch for what ever reasons. So OEM's no longer really want Maxwell once Pascal was launched but they the supply was too low, added to this OEM's weren't selling systems with Maxwell either. This is where the drop in sales came from.

Well yeah % of marketshare did go up from AMD but that didn't show us the entire picture and this is why I stated something was fishy when the CEO of AMD stated what they did in the q2 conference call. It just didn't all add up unless they mixed JPR and Mercury numbers and that is just a no no.

Seasonal weakness will hit nV because they had many more OEM deals if not almost all of them.

Last edited:
Seasonal weakness is more due to OEM, during Q2 OEM sales drop, this is normal, we see this in Intel CPU's too. We can still nV having left over inventory of maxwell 2 cards, Dell and HP are still selling them, even though they were EOL'ed end of 1st quarter this year. We also know Pascal's supply issues were there for 1 quarter after launch for what ever reasons. So OEM's no longer really want Maxwell once Pascal was launched but they the supply was too low, added to this OEM's weren't selling systems with Maxwell either. This is where the drop in sales came from.

Well yeah % of marketshare did go up from AMD but that didn't show us the entire picture and this is why I stated something was fishy when the CEO of AMD stated what they did in the q2 conference call. It just didn't all add up unless they mixed JPR and Mercury numbers and that is just a no no.

Seasonal weakness will hit nV because they had many more OEM deals if not almost all of them.

My point is, even in a weak season, AMD managing to keep their sales numbers flat (7% increase actually), is actually a gain. That's all.

My point is, even in a weak season, AMD managing to keep their sales numbers flat (7% increase actually), is actually a gain. That's all.

Because Nvidia couldn't supply chips, since they had lowered production of older chips too soon. What do you think Q3 numbers will show and Q4? 80/20, 85/15?

Again, people should read the report instead of dealing in headlines. Or you could simply dig up the old threads about it.

Because Nvidia couldn't supply chips, since they had lowered production of older chips too soon. What do you think Q3 numbers will show and Q4? 80/20, 85/15?

Again, people should read the report instead of dealing in headlines.

lol, well, you and razor, are on 2 completely different approaches, he is talking about low demand, you are talking about low supply.

regardless of what reason you feel like blaming it on, AMD SOLD MORE CARDS THAN THEIR USUAL % or THEIR USUAL VOLUME.

I put it in caps for you, maybe it will be easier to see, If it was low supply, well that's NV's fault, and AMDs benefit, if it was low demand, then AMD hit the right market.

Looking for the silver lining and ignoring the big picture again. They clearly don't sell much through OEM channels and are therefor less susceptible in overall volume to seasonal headwinds that that particular market faces. They gained share by keeping volume flat and still got outsold by more than 2 to 1. When the share numbers include Pascal they'll be right back where they were, maybe even worse. 1 quarter of share growth is not a real success if you give it all back the next quarter. IF they manage to maintain that share into Q3/Q4, or even stay flat year on year, I'll be impressed

regardless of what reason you feel like blaming it on, AMD SOLD MORE CARDS THAN THEIR USUAL % or THEIR USUAL VOLUME.

No, they didn't. They sold the same volume.

Unlike its rival, NVIDIA was affected by seasonality in the second quarter, and likely anticipation of its Q2/Q3 product launches. Moreover, the company decided to clear out some of the inventory of older model cards amid the launch of Pascal-based GeForce 1070 and 1080 graphics cards, according to JPR. This greatly affected actual shipments and market share of NVIDIA: unit sales decreased by 14% YoY and by 28% QoQ, whereas market share declined to 70%.

In short, Nvidia and its AIBs got rid of their inventories of older chips, but more than they had expected.

Looking for the silver lining and ignoring the big picture again. They clearly don't sell much through OEM channels and are therefor less susceptible in overall volume to seasonal headwinds that that particular market faces. They gained share by keeping volume flat and still got outsold by more than 2 to 1. When the share numbers include Pascal they'll be right back where they were, maybe even worse. 1 quarter of share growth is not a real success if you give it all back the next quarter. IF they manage to maintain that share into Q3/Q4, or even stay flat year on year, I'll be impressed

No, they didn't. They sold the same volume.

You guys all look at it as "NV Vs AMD", when it comes to sales, instead, look it as AMD vs AMD, are they doing better than last quarter? yes, then its' a win for the company, as long as they're increasing sales & profit, then it's a win.

2.7Million to 2.8 Million ... Math says that's 4% increase, that's the same, in what Razor calls, a slow quarter for GPU sales?

You guys all look at it as "NV Vs AMD", when it comes to sales, instead, look it as AMD vs AMD, are they doing better than last quarter? yes, then its' a win for the company, as long as they're increasing sales & profit, then it's a win.

2.7Million to 2.8 Million ... Math says that's 4% increase, that's the same, in what Razor calls, a slow quarter for GPU sales?

Did they actually increase revenue? And profit? Now AMD hides the GPUs together with CPUs, and that's just a loss division.

Selling 100,000 more cards, I assume is a revenue stream. :)

Hard to say if they're actually doing better. Just saying they sold more units doesn't mean they made any money on them. 390's were being heavily discounted in the run up to polaris and pascal. Selling 4% more units at 4% lower prices nets you exactly nothing in terms of revenue. When you look at how much money AMD actually made in a quarter where they added a bunch of share its clear that they didn't exactly hit a home run.

Bookmarked for when JPR and Mercury numbers are published.
Is that a video game? If not, what do I care about JPR or Mercury numbers? I don't own AMD or Nvidia stock.

Only one trying too hard here is you...
Well, I guess you can tell that to Brent Justice as I was only quoting what he wrote in his latest review.

Last edited:
lol, well, you and razor, are on 2 completely different approaches, he is talking about low demand, you are talking about low supply.

I put it in caps for you, maybe it will be easier to see, If it was low supply, well that's NV's fault, and AMDs benefit, if it was low demand, then AMD hit the right market.

Its a combination of both, Q3, you will see once you factor in the 3% increased margins, the 3 million in volume sales drop in the previous quarter is making up for the increase in revenue this quarter.

(its not total increase in demand, but its increased demand comparative to what Maxwell sales would have been) Its kinda tricky cause what we are talking about is possibilities outside of the numbers we have from the financial call

Last edited:
Is that a video game? If not, what do I care about JPR or Mercury numbers? I don't own AMD or Nvidia stock.

Well, I guess you can tell that to Brent Justice as I was only quoting what he wrote in his latest review.

Good then you should not be posting in this thread about gaming because so far everything we have talked about is because of AMD apparent lack of cards higher then mid range. The title of this thread is AMD, Where are you? It has nothing to do with gaming, it has everything to do with AMD and what is going on at a corporate level.

Well tell me something that is wrong with what I stated, then we can talk about it........

Do you see anywhere that AMD has changed since the Fiji launch? Anything from their marketing, to BS they have been spewing in the financial calls?

Is there any change in their hardware, are they any more competitive then they were last gen or the gen before?

The RX 480 trades blows with the 1060 6GB, and the RX 470 trades blows with the 3GB model, despite all these deficiencies. They have similar minimum frame times, and AMD's efforts in backing a whole slew of recent games gives them a real platform for release.

bestfps.png

http://techreport.com/review/30812/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-graphics-card-reviewed/16

It's a much better effort than the days of the R9 285, where it took AMD a year to release a part that could outperform the GTX 960, and there really were not many games that took advantage of GCN. They "made due" with shit releases like Ashes.

Yeah, power consumption is higher, but they've closed the huge gap they had with Tonga.

The RX 480 trades blows with the 1060 6GB, and the RX 470 trades blows with the 3GB model, despite all these deficiencies. They have similar minimum frame times, and AMD's efforts in backing a whole slew of recent games gives them a real platform for release.

bestfps.png

http://techreport.com/review/30812/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-graphics-card-reviewed/16

It's a much better effort than the days of the R9 285, where it took AMD a year to release a part that could outperform the GTX 960.

And what about its power consumption? We aren't just talking about performance here or how much they cost.

Backing games only works when ya have a product that is fully competitive in every metric, because OEM's don't care about games, they want to get sales, and if possible cut down on costs of other components, which the 1060 because of this lower power consumption and for the most part identical performance to the rx 480 achieves that.

This is the problem AMD hasn't changed the way they are designing their chips even though it was well know with the release of the Maxwell 1 and even Keplar they were behind in a very important metric.

AMD should have know from their 4xxx, 5xxx, 6xxx, and from nV's g70, its not all about end performance, as long you are close in performance and power consumption is substantially lower, you can get the OEM market because it reduces the cost of overall system components. This is what nV is doing, they are maintaining their margins *increasing* because the rest of the system doesn't need to be as expensive for their cards.

Last edited:
Yeah, the lack of the availability of the RX 470 Alienware laptops (announced September) is a telling sign that AMD gets mutilated on perf/watt. Even though you can buy models right now with GTX 1060/1070.

Even with the improvements in Polaris 10, they still are only getting OEM wins in desktops.

It's better than Tonga, but still way behind.

I was just saying, they're at least making a better effort on desktop side.

Last edited:
that is true they are getting wins, but let me go back a year, last year I bought a HP system for my niece, she plays video games, so I got her one with a 970, now to get that 970 option for the system I was getting the power supply had to be upgraded to a 500 watt power supply, which yeah I know is kinda stupid, but that was one of the requirements HP put down going from a 960 to a 970, which was 50 bucks. HP did introduce the same system with the rx480 with the same requirements for its power supply when going from the 960 to the rx 480. Since then they removed the rx 480 and put in the 1070 (increased price of course), HP is still selling rx480 in their gaming systems but those are much more expensive system.

that is true they are getting wins, but let me go back a year, last year I bought a HP system for my niece, she plays video games, so I got her one with a 970, now to get that 970 option for the system I was getting the power supply had to be upgraded to a 500 watt power supply, which yeah I know is kinda stupid, but that was one of the requirements HP put down going from a 960 to a 970, which was 50 bucks. HP did introduce the same system with the rx480 with the same requirements for its power supply when going from the 960 to the rx 480. Since then they removed the rx 480 and put in the 1070 (increased price of course), HP is still selling rx480 in their gaming systems but those are much more expensive system.

Bit of a tangent, but a reminder in general, the GTX 970 lawsuit, the period for claims is ending 11/30, and you get $30, so anyone who hasn't submitted a claim, you have 15 days left.

...snip...

When you answer to a small comment with that wall of text, it's probably true. And btw, I thought Nvidia fanboys couldn't be bothered by a small company like AMD.

We get it. Tell the truth about AMD and dismal sales = biased against your team.

Bottom line:

AMD is the best free advertising Nvidia ever received.

Did I talk to you? I made a very specific comment about a specific person.

Good then you should not be posting in this thread about gaming because so far everything we have talked about is because of AMD apparent lack of cards higher then mid range. The title of this thread is AMD, Where are you? It has nothing to do with gaming, it has everything to do with AMD and what is going on at a corporate level.
Then why are you going on about gaming systems for your niece?

Then why are you going on about gaming systems for your niece?

Because of the context of why AMD OEM sales are lower, can't understand context? Maybe you need to go back to school for that then?

When you answer to a small comment with that wall of text, it's probably true. And btw, I thought Nvidia fanboys couldn't be bothered by a small company like AMD.

Apparently you are bothered by this talk, which is all true, why is that, are you invested in AMD, do you work for them? Are you getting PAID by them? Are you in bed with with of their employees? Do you get favors from them?

Did I talk to you? I made a very specific comment about a specific person.

He is talking to you though, because you made a rediculous statement which you can't back up nor can you even comment on.

Do you know what ad hominem is? If you can't talk about the point at hand you go after the person's credibility. Do you know who do things like that? Its linked for you FYI, so I suggest you click it and see what kind of person argues in that manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back