AMD vs INTEL

YOHAN14344

Weaksauce
Which one is better? I know this topic is highly opinionated... but I just need some views.

Im an Intel guy eversince... but after doing some research on benchmarks and a computer wizard friend of mine, I think AMD is better... pricewise and performance wise.

But I hear these scary strories of AMD setups getting fried real easily. My friend said the reason they get fried is because they are so fast that the other components just can't keep up (eg. motherboards).

I'm gonna buy a new rig this week... and I really want AMD this time... any advice before I take the plunge?

FYI, I'm gonna get:

AMD Athlon64 3500+ E3
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
Enermax 480W Noisetaker AX :)

Actually, VIA makes the best CPU's. The EPIA Nehemiah 1GHz will outdo even the Transmeta Efficieon!

I dont see how an AMD64 system can get fried, since they run a lot cooler than P4's and consume way less power. To each their own.

robberbaron said:
Actually, VIA makes the best CPU's. The EPIA Nehemiah 1GHz will outdo even the Transmeta Efficieon!

I dont see how an AMD64 system can get fried, since they run a lot cooler than P4's and consume way less power. To each their own.
jesus, if you would have read his post you would have found out why they fry, it's some real good info that deserves a read,
"My friend said the reason they get fried is because they are so fast that the other components just can't keep up "

There isn't anything wrong with an AMD chip, they are just as stable as any Intel chip.

YOHAN14344 said:
But I hear these scary strories of AMD setups getting fried real easily. My friend said the reason they get fried is because they are so fast that the other components just can't keep up (eg. motherboards).
Your friend clearly did not know what he was talking about. Early Athlon's had no themal protection and could get fried if the fan stop working or was not installed properly. That's no longer a problem nowadays. Besides, A64 runs a lot cooler than P4.

I see. I see.

Yeah, I know the chip itself doesn't fry... it's just the M/B. I just hope the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe is a good motherboard. Because I read in some forums that it's riddled with problems. :confused:

YOHAN14344 said:
I see. I see.

Yeah, I know the chip itself doesn't fry... it's just the M/B. I just hope the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe is a good motherboard. Because I read in some forums that it's riddled with problems. :confused:

ugh, neither one of them fry, nothing fucking dies. The system is a great one, built it right, and try not to drop it in the bathtub. That's all you need to do to prevent frying.

mikelz85 said:
jesus, if you would have read his post you would have found out why they fry, it's some real good info that deserves a read,
"My friend said the reason they get fried is because they are so fast that the other components just can't keep up "

He made an Intel vs AMD thread which is about as stomachable as an ATi vs nVidia thread.

Before you make the plunge I'd suggest getting a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR motherboard instead. IMO its the best socket 939 motherboard.

for someone with no amd experience? He probably doesn't want to overclock. If you don't, then DON'T get the DFI, get the Asus because it will be much more stable.

Go with Amd you will love it i know i do. I use to be a Intel guy until i swaped over to Amd and i will never go back. For a Motherboard go with the Asus A8N-SLI its the one i have and i havent been able to use it because my bios is to old for a Dual Core Processor so i had to order a new Bios Chip go figure... lol but this mobo is bad ass and did you notice almost every review ive seen they use this mobo HOLLA!

Get the dfi ultra board.Iv had 3 amd boards and the dfi is by far the most stable and overclocking is by far a breeze onthat board.Why not spend 15 bucks more and have the best board out????

buy some tccd ram some gskill 512x2 and get a 3200 venice and have a blast @ 2700 mhz

then later get an x2 when the prices drop.

Get the dfi ultra board.Iv had 3 amd boards and the dfi is by far the most stable and overclocking is by far a breeze onthat board.Why not spend 15 bucks more and have the best board out????

buy some tccd ram some gskill 512x2 and get a 3200 venice and have a blast @ 2700 mhz

then later get an x2 when the prices drop.

Because someone who says:

Is going to be able to just stick this stuff together in the dfi board and run at 270*10 right off the bat. If he follows your advice, he will have a $1400 headache for 2 months.

Start off with the board that is stable off the bat. If you want to really get into overclocking later, think about the DFI at that point. It takes 2 weeks of tweaking minimum to get the settings on the DFI perfect for a particular setup. This is assuming you don't have any other outstanding problems... ugh.

last time I checked it didn't take 2 weeks to set up any mobo, let alone my DFI. Regardless, I would seriously consider learning more about computers before making any decision. Read reviews of motherboards, processors, etc. Then come back and ask for help.

Roguer said:
Because someone who says:

Is going to be able to just stick this stuff together in the dfi board and run at 270*10 right off the bat. If he follows your advice, he will have a $1400 headache for 2 months.

Start off with the board that is stable off the bat. If you want to really get into overclocking later, think about the DFI at that point. It takes 2 weeks of tweaking minimum to get the settings on the DFI perfect for a particular setup. This is assuming you don't have any other outstanding problems... ugh.

You have to be kidding me right....

have you ever used the dfi board.Its so stable right off the bat its a joke.You cant mess up with this board.Dude im sorry but you have no clue.

I first put this system together and ran auto everything in the bios and ran it at 300x9.This board is a breeze to use and has given me no problems with stability what soever.

It is by far the easyest board to use and overclock.If it takes you 2 weeks to twaek a board you should get a dell.

I had the asus board and abit.both gave me minor problems off that bat but with tweaking(volt modding) they worked great but no even close to as stable as my dfi boards(I have 2 running)

I'd reccomend the asus board, i have a p4g8x deluxe, never had any trouble with it... Not the most stable overclocker though... (I got the 3.06 up to ~3.4, but it was not stable, even though it didn't overheat...)

seriously though, if you want room to upgrade/ decide to overclock, you might want the DFI...

I bought the DFI SLI-DR board for my switch to AMD and all I have to say is worst board ever!! That thing was so unstable out of the box that I couldn't even get it to the start the window setup. I RMA'ed this board and got a replacement same issues. Got the Asus A8N-SLI premium, ran perfectly. (with all the same components as the DFI) Not only was it a ton more stable, it ran much cooler and quieter with the NB heatpipe. If you want to get the quality and stability you have come to expect from using Intel, go with Asus. If you want to mess around with high overclocks and screw around a lot, go with DFI.

brom42 said:
I bought the DFI SLI-DR board for my switch to AMD and all I have to say is worst board ever!! That thing was so unstable out of the box that I couldn't even get it to the start the window setup. I RMA'ed this board and got a replacement same issues. Got the Asus A8N-SLI premium, ran perfectly. (with all the same components as the DFI) Not only was it a ton more stable, it ran much cooler and quieter with the NB heatpipe. If you want to get the quality and stability you have come to expect from using Intel, go with Asus. If you want to mess around with high overclocks and screw around a lot, go with DFI.

thats messed up im sorry to hear about your board but both mine were rock stable right out the box.My asus to this day hates my bh5 it wont even boot with them with out clearing the bios and using custom setting.Auto wont boot

skratch said:
thats messed up im sorry to hear about your board but both mine were rock stable right out the box.My asus to this day hates my bh5 it wont even boot with them with out clearing the bios and using custom setting.Auto wont boot

I later found out that the DFI boards are extremely picky about their ram. The SLI-DR doesn't like Corsair ram. I have 4 sets of Corsair XMS ram that I tested with, it didn't like any of them!! DFI needs to get their act together. That board should take whatever I give it.

Coming from Intel, this wasn't the AMD welcome I wanted. I don't like to recommend the DFI to first time AMD people because of this. I was cursing AMD up and down until I figured out it was the board. I almost went back to Intel becuase of it, but the draw of X2 was too much.

brom42 said:
I later found out that the DFI boards are extremely picky about their ram. The SLI-DR doesn't like Corsair ram. I have 4 sets of Corsair XMS ram that I tested with, it didn't like any of them!! DFI needs to get their act together. That board should take whatever I give it.

Coming from Intel, this wasn't the AMD welcome I wanted. I don't like to recommend the DFI to first time AMD people because of this. I was cursing AMD up and down until I figured out it was the board. I almost went back to Intel becuase of it, but the draw of X2 was too much.

thats weird maybe you just had a bad board or didnt use the right bios with a mem table for bh5/utt

my dfi is running cosair pc2700 bh6 @290x9Ram @ 240 2.2.2 5 1t with no problems for months now.Stock cooling and nothing crazzy on the volts either.

skratch said:
thats weird maybe you just had a bad board or didnt use the right bios with a mem table for bh5/utt

my dfi is running cosair pc2700 bh6 @290x9Ram @ 240 2.2.2 5 1t with no problems for months now.Stock cooling and nothing crazzy on the volts either.

Well then I hate you. ;)

This thead needs its title changed to DFI vs Asus. :cool:

brom42 said:
Well then I hate you. ;)

This thead needs its title changed to DFI vs Asus. :cool:

My heart isn't broken since Corsair is really some of the worst memory for the money to use with an Athlon 64. Gskill TCCD, Winbond CH/BH, or Crucial Ballistix are definately better for the money.

robberbaron said:
My heart isn't broken since Corsair is really some of the worst memory for the money to use with an Athlon 64. Gskill TCCD, Winbond CH/BH, or Crucial Ballistix are definately better for the money.

corsair uses bh/ch utt and tccd buddy :D

find me some 4 year old ram other than corsair that can do 245 2.2.2.5 1t good old corsair pc2700 lol

robberbaron said:

I got it for my 3.0ghz Northwood P4, and it was an excellent choice back when I got it. I wasn't going to throw away some perfectly good ram, especially since it was low latency 2-2-2-5 1T ram that I paid an arm and leg for right when it came out.

skratch said:
corsair uses bh/ch utt and tccd buddy :D

find me some 4 year old ram other than corsair that can do 245 2.2.2.5 1t good old corsair pc2700 lol

The companies I mentioned provide better TCCD and BH/CH solutions than Corsair and for less money, such as Gskill GH.
Corsair still rates some of their ram at higher for AMD systems which is silly. This practice was stopped long ago by the other major players.

brom42 said:
I got it for my 3.0ghz Northwood P4, and it was an excellent choice back when I got it. I wasn't going to throw away some perfectly good ram, especially since it was low latency 2-2-2-5 1T ram that I paid an arm and leg for right when it came out.

Yeah, I understand. I just prefer my DDR500 1.5-2-2 ram that cost $120 for a gig, that's all.

robberbaron said:
The companies I mentioned provide better TCCD and BH/CH solutions than Corsair and for less money, such as Gskill GH.
Corsair still rates some of their ram at higher for AMD systems which is silly. This practice was stopped long ago by the other major players.

So lets say I want to upgrade to 2X1gig ram, because all the cool kids are doing it. What should I get?? You seem to be more up to date than me on ram. I haven't gotten any in over a year and my conversion.

brom42 said:
So lets say I want to upgrade to 2X1gig ram, because all the cool kids are doing it. What should I get?? You seem to be more up to date than me on ram. I haven't gotten any in over a year and my conversion.

Crucial value or Crucial Ballistix. Both have the same IC's, Ballistix is just speed binned higher. They have the best performance for 1 gig sticks.

I have always been an Intel fan, even when I owned a 1.0 athlon way back that overclocked to 1.6 on air. It was cheaper (friend gave it to me basically) and it did the job). I switched back over to Intel when the 2.4c came out. I got very good benchmark scores. And then I got the 2.8c and got even better marks (overclocked to 3.4ghz) I had a x800pro with this setup.

I recently switched over to AMD. 3200+ Venice (at 2.5ghz) with DFI SLI-D and x800xl.

There is virtually no difference in marks. I got pretty much the same. However, I find that I cant multitask like I could with Intel. Over all, it was an ok "upgrade" Nothing spectacular at all.

If price werent an issue, I'd get a Intel setup. If price were an issue, I'd get a AMD setup (but even high end AMD setups cost about as much as a Intel setup)

jokerx225 said:
Go with Amd you will love it i know i do. I use to be a Intel guy until i swaped over to Amd and i will never go back. For a Motherboard go with the Asus A8N-SLI its the one i have and i havent been able to use it because my bios is to old for a Dual Core Processor so i had to order a new Bios Chip go figure... lol but this mobo is bad ass and did you notice almost every review ive seen they use this mobo HOLLA!

You don't have to order a new BIOS chip. The board will POST far enough to let you use the Asus EZ Flash utility, even with a X2 chip in it. Just have the updated BIOS ready on a floppy. I've heard bad things about the 1014 version, so I stuck with the 1013.

How to do it is in your user's manual, and in a couple threads on this forum.

YourPaceOrMine said:
I have always been an Intel fan, even when I owned a 1.0 athlon way back that overclocked to 1.6 on air. It was cheaper (friend gave it to me basically) and it did the job). I switched back over to Intel when the 2.4c came out. I got very good benchmark scores. And then I got the 2.8c and got even better marks (overclocked to 3.4ghz) I had a x800pro with this setup.

I recently switched over to AMD. 3200+ Venice (at 2.5ghz) with DFI SLI-D and x800xl.

There is virtually no difference in marks. I got pretty much the same. However, I find that I cant multitask like I could with Intel. Over all, it was an ok "upgrade" Nothing spectacular at all.

If price werent an issue, I'd get a Intel setup. If price were an issue, I'd get a AMD setup (but even high end AMD setups cost about as much as a Intel setup)

I upgraded from a 3ghz northwoods to a 3500+ Venice and had the same issues as you, it had faster raw power, but was clunker and choppier during everyday usage. Not impressed at all.

Then I went X2.

A whole crap load faster than either previous chip, and it makes HT look like a complete joke. If price wasn't an issue you should get X2.

i went from a P4 3.0 @3.3 to a ATHLON 64 X2 4400@ 2.6. i have to say after my experience with AMD i will NEVER go back to INTEL. not that the intel had anything wrong with, it just seems the the X2 is SO MUCH better for Gaming AND multitasking. i had a hard time O/Cing my P4. IREALLY had to tweak this and that and it was still unstable some of the time. i had a SP-94 with a panaflo fan so heat was not an issue. this X2 has been nothing short of spectacular! of course the ASUS A8N-SLI-Premium deserves a good share of the credit as well. it seems to me that ATHLON has got better gaming CPU's all around. that is their niche market and they are depending on that market to pay their wages. they are doing EVERYTHING RIGHT. i doubt seriously if i will ever go back to intel. and i say this as a former intel DIE HARD. i did ALOT of research before i bought my latest equipment. everything pointed to ATHLON, and then to the new dual core cpu's. i think in the future, i will be very glad i went this route.
Athlon 64 X2 4400@ 2.6
Asus A8N-SLI Prem
BFG 7800GTX OC
2X 1 gig Crucial Ballistix PC 4000
Silverstone ZEUS 650 Watt PSU (SLI/SATA ready)
WD Raptor 74 Gb
WD Caviar 200 Gb SATA II (storage)
Plextor SATA DVD burner +/-R
SONY DVD-ROM
AUDIGY 2 Zs
ThermalTake SHARK Case
Zalman 7700Cu 120mm/ Arctic Ceramique
3Dmark05=8092

YOHAN14344 said:
Which one is better? I know this topic is highly opinionated... but I just need some views.

Im an Intel guy eversince... but after doing some research on benchmarks and a computer wizard friend of mine, I think AMD is better... pricewise and performance wise.

I'm gonna buy a new rig this week... and I really want AMD this time... any advice before I take the plunge?

FYI, I'm gonna get:

AMD Athlon64 3500+ E3
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
Enermax 480W Noisetaker AX :)
Here we go again. The dreaded Intel vrs. Athlon topic. It is really a matter of opinion. I believe that if you want a gaming system, you should go with the Athlon. I have an Intel and I am very pleased with it for gaming and working. You will have to decide on which one you want. Athlons are less expensive too. But again, it's a matter of opinion.
Good Luck.....

YOHAN shell out the extra $25 and get the A8N-SLI PREMIUM! it is more stable and has a heat pipe to help cool the northbridge. you will be gald you did, i SWEAR IT!

Athlon 64 X2 4400@ 2.6
Asus A8N-SLI Prem
BFG 7800GTX OC
2X 1 gig Crucial Ballistix PC 4000
Silverstone ZEUS 650 Watt PSU (SLI/SATA ready)
WD Raptor 74 Gb
WD Caviar 200 Gb SATA II (storage)
Plextor SATA DVD burner +/-R
SONY DVD-ROM
AUDIGY 2 Zs
ThermalTake SHARK Case
Zalman 7700Cu 120mm/ Arctic Ceramique

robberbaron said:

i've built 7 systems with corsair memory and by far it has been the best memory i have ever sold to my customers outside of crucial, stability, and reliability, when i turned in a mem stick that burnt out they sent me a replacement no questions asked. what you pay for with corsiar is their name grant you but you are also buying quality service.

and your comment bout corsair being expensive... ure gonna pay pretty close to the same price for the corsair as u are for the EQUIVILANT Gskill or Crucial...

as for the Asus Vs. DFI thing, my thought is ASUS all the way, Solid, Reliable, Stable systems from scratch, DFI has a great reputation for OC'in but if ure not gonna do it i have heard some very nasty horror stories bout DFI boards not working well with certain types of brands of memory, as well as some of those horror stories bout some not being stable from Non-OC'ed Build. every board has their horror story, asus's board has been out there the longest tho, and they have had 3 different boards with the same technology made for increased performance and reliablility. go A8N-SLI Premium as long as your not gonna have the board upside down and running.

dasaint said:
ure gonna pay pretty close to the same price for the corsair as u are for the EQUIVILANT Gskill or Crucial...
just out of curiosity, please give an example of what you mean. i have found very little ram with the same performance/oc'ing ability for the price as crucial ;)

im talking about stability in non-oc'ed systems...

edit: the creator of the thread really never specified if he/she was going to overclock the system at all and im speaking on a non-oc'ed level.

dasaint said:
im talking about stability in non-oc'ed systems...
i would DEFINITLY trust crucial for stability at stock before corsair, any day, for any rig... but that's just imho

i would agree crucial also has stability if u read in my earlier comment i built those systems with corsair and crucial memory.. those are the only two brands i would trust in a customers computer. rock solid and stable

my earlier comment was about how the guy was dissin' corsair memory. saying it was "Corsair is really some of the worst memory for the money to use with an Athlon 64."

Simple fact both make good cpus in general the amd is 5% faster in games and Intel is faster in just about every other application and multi programs running same time with the ht enabled intel cpus. However, the new amd x2 chips have improved greatly in the above area mentioned. Either way you go its a no loose situation... however, I advise at the current moment to get a amd x2 setup over intel. And forget about that old wise tale amd is cheaper thats old news the new news is they charge just as much if not more than intel does for the flagship cpus

Back