AMD vrs INTEL!!!

amd or intel in the long run?

• amd

Votes: 91 85.0%
  • intel

Votes: 16 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
amd will give you less of an overclock but more power. that fact that it supports 64 bit windows seems more like marketing than anything but the a64's own the p4's. just look at any cpu review.

The poll has us voting between companies, when I think the OP wanted us to vote on processors. If it's between an Athlon 64 and a Pentium 4, the A64 gets my vote ("home office stuff" is not heavy multitasking :rolleyes: ), because they are more efficient processors. If Intel releases an affordable desktop Pentium M with a more modern chipset / featureset, I'd vote for that, because I think it would beat everything else out there hands down. But just "AMD vrs INTEL!!!" is silly.

P.S. Use the money you save by buying an A64 to get a bit more RAM. That will help you out a lot more with general multitasking than a processor with SMT tacked on at the end of its design.

This is the reason I choose AMD....
sandracpuid3700.jpg

wow, I wish I had the balls to overclock. What did you oc it on? cooling wise I mean.

when you over clock is it safe to run it at that speed for ever............like if i oc a 3500+ 90nm 2.2ghz to 2.4ghz is it safe to run it like that for the rest of its life..which i hope is 2-3 yrs.

ok .. enough with the 64 bit .. Intel is releasing a 64-bit proc. next year ...

If you want a computer now .. and ur gonna play lots of games .. get the AMD ....(edit: previously Intel... my bad .. didn't notice it until homeboy down there called me a fool) :eek:

If you're not a hardcore gamer get the Intel .. if you can afford it ...

If you like o/c .. i would suggest the AMD .. because it o/cs better and because it's cheaper incase you burn the cpu it won't be expensive to replace :D

mohammedtaha said:
ok .. enough with the 64 bit .. Intel is releasing a 64-bit proc. next year ...

If you want a computer now .. and ur gonna play lots of games .. get the Intel ..

If you're not a hardcore gamer get the Intel .. if you can afford it ...

If you like o/c .. i would suggest the AMD .. because it o/cs better and because it's cheaper incase you burn the cpu it won't be expensive to replace :D

You're a fool, don't listen to him, AMD is the best choice, for everything

Dallows said:
wow, I wish I had the balls to overclock. What did you oc it on? cooling wise I mean.
Vapochill LS. It is impossible to reach that oc with air or water cooling for cpu.

mohammedtaha said:

From the OP, he originally stated that he wanted to do "some gaming" while doing lot of other work, which my original opinion was to get an Pentium 4 with HT, because it does handle multiple programs much better than an A64 in my experiences.

But after reading through most of the posts once again, I will also suggets looking into an A64, as for pure gaming it can not be matched.

As for the post above, it is very hard to burn up an intel processor because it throttles back once it gets too hot. I was hoping AMD was going to implement something like this, if they haven't already.

UltimaParadox said:
From the OP, he originally stated that he wanted to do "some gaming" while doing lot of other work, which my original opinion was to get an Pentium 4 with HT, because it does handle multiple programs much better than an A64 in my experiences.

But after reading through most of the posts once again, I will also suggets looking into an A64, as for pure gaming it can not be matched.

As for the post above, it is very hard to burn up an intel processor because it throttles back once it gets too hot. I was hoping AMD was going to implement something like this, if they haven't already.

They have implemented thermal throttling.

lopoetve said:
They have implemented thermal throttling.

Ah thank you for clarifying that. Is this something that they implemented on the entire A64 line of processors?

UltimaParadox said:
Ah thank you for clarifying that. Is this something that they implemented on the entire A64 line of processors?

IIRC, the Barton and Barton mobiles had it first, but it is on the entire A64 line in some form. It's not as good as Intel's, but it works.

I'm pretty sure my Soltek Atlon XP motherboard had that feature....thermal throttling or something like that.

i've had my P4 2.4 and is7 since a week or two before their official release. They have served me well for almost 2 years now. Fastest by far back in the day. Now is another story and AMD is obviously the champ.

GaNGrENe said:
I'm pretty sure my Soltek Atlon XP motherboard had that feature....thermal throttling or something like that.

I was refferring to the chip itself. I know Athlon XPs did not have this feature, and if your fan died you were SOL.

I am glad AMD decided to implement this feature as it could save a lot of headaches.

I went from a P4 3.2E to an A64 3500+. Granted, the latter is a more expensive CPU, but the supposed wonderful difference that Hyperthreading makes when running several apps wasn't evident to me at all. I think Hyperthreading is nice, and helps you run a few somewhat-but-not-too-demanding applications more smoothly, but at the end of the day the size of the computational power pie is still the same with or without Hyperthreading...

Back