AMD to Drop ATi Name

so its gonna be AMD X2000XT vs. Nvidia 8800 GTX?
I can't wait :eek:

Maybe I'll buy an AMD card to fit on my intel conroe board :)

i would have to say im thinking changing the name wouldnt effect my purchase anytime soon. i could care less if its AMD, ATi, jhsdfjhshfsduifyrheoukjberkj, or some other nonsense. if it runs nice, doesnt cost more than im willing to spend then i would consider it. anyone who would stop buying them simply because of the name is being sily.

as for losing market share, or not having the name recognition, i dont see that happening. more likely people will buy more AMD video cards than would buy ATi. think about it. how many people do you know that want to buy all matching equipment(say dell monitor, co0mputer,keyboard,mouse, and whatnot). if people were to step up a bit and found they can get a AMD system(aside from case, drives, and most likely motherboard), they would snap it up thinking it was the best they could ask for.

lmao, this would be hillarious..

nvidia = green
amd = green

GREEN VS GREEN!!!!! rawr! Then people couldn't say "zomg you made the switch from red to green?/?? ooohs nooesssss!!?"

But.. I could really care less what they call it. :) I actually hope they do use the AMD name, then start integrating cool stuff like Infiniband Crossfire directly to the graphics cards or something, lol. :p

CEREAL_KILLER said:
i would have to say im thinking changing the name wouldnt effect my purchase anytime soon. i could care less if its AMD, ATi, jhsdfjhshfsduifyrheoukjberkj, or some other nonsense. if it runs nice, doesnt cost more than im willing to spend then i would consider it. anyone who would stop buying them simply because of the name is being sily.

as for losing market share, or not having the name recognition, i dont see that happening. more likely people will buy more AMD video cards than would buy ATi. think about it. how many people do you know that want to buy all matching equipment(say dell monitor, co0mputer,keyboard,mouse, and whatnot). if people were to step up a bit and found they can get a AMD system(aside from case, drives, and most likely motherboard), they would snap it up thinking it was the best they could ask for.

Have a great point, but i think people by pc's from dell or gateway or whoever is because of the warrenty. You know you have a warrenty and building your own its hard to deal with RMA and crap. With computer company's usually you have no trouble's with the warrenty department and they get it repalced asap instead of waiting and waiting for rma's

They should keep the name for a while just like HP did when the bought Compaq. E.g. HP Compaq NC8000 is the name of my former laptop.

roflcopter said:
They should keep the name for a while just like HP did when the bought Compaq. E.g. HP Compaq NC8000 is the name of my former laptop.

Introducing the new graphics King! the ASUS AMD ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X2800XTX GTO Crossfire Edition.

And that really isn't to much of a stretch of what could happen....

Trimlock said:
Honestly the name change will only affect those who rely on name recognition for their purchasing and people who really like the company

I could care less if the name changed, as long as their cards continue to kick ass (*hugs* X1900XT) i'll continue to buy them and read their product reviews.

Oh so you mean about out of 5 people I know who buy ATi Cards, about 3 of them fit that description, 2 friends and my dad, thery are all brand reconition, my dad would never buy an AMD (he still makes fun of my AMD Computer) but loves ati and his Intel, he hates AMD and nVidia... instantly there they lose 1 customer, the one of the other friends are "canadian companys ftw" and think amd is a canadian company, so he *might* still buy "AMD" branded cards, but my 3rd friend is clueless about computers and an uber fan***boy and would never buy from AMD, but loves his intel and ATi (simalar to my DAD), thats 2 out of 5 sales lost, with a 1 maybe.

Personally thou I don't care if the Cardss called the Billy Bob Redneck X8000XL XXX OC XTX Uber Edition because I'll just call it the BBR X8000XL OC XTX

If AMD does this, they should make the PCB's Black :cool:

Chilly said:
Oh so you mean about out of 5 people I know who buy ATi Cards, about 3 of them fit that description, 2 friends and my dad, thery are all brand reconition, my dad would never buy an AMD (he still makes fun of my AMD Computer) but loves ati and his Intel, he hates AMD and nVidia... instantly there they lose 1 customer, the one of the other friends are "canadian companys ftw" and think amd is a canadian company, so he *might* still buy "AMD" branded cards, but my 3rd friend is clueless about computers and an uber fan***boy and would never buy from AMD, but loves his intel and ATi (simalar to my DAD), thats 2 out of 5 sales lost, with a 1 maybe.
Big loss there. :rolleyes:
Ockie said:
If AMD does this, they should make the PCB's Black :cool:
Yes, yes they should. :D

-(Xyphox)- said:
idk, found it on digg :p

lmfao. digg is a noob place to find computer information. The guys at digg think Intel's P4 and PD naming series was confusing (520, 530, 540, 560, 630, 631, 640, 641, 650, 660, 670// 805, 820, 830, 840, 920, 930, 940, 950, 955, 960, 965). You gotta be retarded to tell me you can't figure out which processor is better.

AMD's marketing department may be retarded, but they went to school for their degrees, so I'm guessing that's bullshit and AMD is keeping ATi's name. Even a retard could figure out that keeping ATI's name is a smarter move than replacing it with AMD's.

Also realize that ATI doesn't own their own fab plants. If they're part of AMD, a company who can't risk giving a fab plant away without losing EVEN MORE of the processor market than they are already losing...... what do you think will happen? To address the quote above of the guy talking about losing customers, if you guys have noticed, every forum i've been to (except that retarded amd forum) has had more people browsing the intel forum than the AMD forum now.

Wait...so before we had Red vs. Green in videocard market....now we are going to have Green vs. Green =(

What would be neat! is for nVidia to buy off IBM or Motorola's CPU devision and jump into the x86 market as a strong contender. Though...this would take alot of time, couple of years, and money. But would be interesting.

Menelmarar said:
What would be neat! is for nVidia to buy off IBM or Motorola's CPU devision and jump into the x86 market as a strong contender.
interesting, but incredibly unlikely.

I don't think we will see any more drastic changes by Intel, AMD, or nVidia anytime in the near future. The only change we will likely see over the next couple years is more cooperation between Intel and nVidia, which we all know is beginning already.

-(Xyphox)- said:
idk, found it on digg :p
I dont know what it is about that sentence, but I believe thats a line worthy enough to become the de facto response to digg articles. ;o)

I'm still not seeing an official annoucement..

I'm not saying its not going to happen, but I AM a sceptic and there hasn't been much news except from some shitty tech forum and the inq (I fucking hate the inq).

i hope AMD does drop the ATI name,

ati has too many bad things associated with it ,

pisspoor open source support ,

pisspoor warranty

pisspoor customer support

pisspoor ...pretty much everything , except the hardware

so maybe amd will make some good changes while droping the ati name

AMD not eliminating ATI brand, reports false

8/8/2006 12:11:06 PM, by Ken Fisher
Click this Mojo Ad

One of the unforeseen ramifications of the AMD-ATI hookup is the new hyper-rumor-transport bus, a new technology whereby unsubstantiated rumors become fact at an alarming rate. I lamented this sad state of affairs a few weeks ago when patently false information regarding motherboard licensing was making its way around the 'net, and now we get to do it again.

Yesterday CustomPC claimed that AMD was going to scrap the ATI brand, inferring this in a most dubious manner. AMD's Gareth Cater had told them that AMD would, in fact, retain its name after the buyout was finished, meaning that AMD would remain AMD for the foreseeable future. CustomPC then assumed that this would mean that ATI as a brand was going to be dropped, reported it as such. The echo-chamber did the rest. For our part, we contacted AMD public relations folks yesterday, assuming that the story was bogus.

And alas, it is. AMD is now responding to the story, saying "AMD has no plans to drop the ATi brand name or ATi's product brands. The ATi name will live on at AMD as our leading consumer brand, and so will the Radeon brand and other ATi product brands. AMD's executive management knows very well the power and value of branding, and ATi's branding is some of the most valued in the global technology industry."

The ATI brand isn't going anywhere.

Open Source support was gimp, but so few gamers are looking for that it was never a big deal.

Software and Hardware was top notch.

Warranty was not pisspoor. I have had to replace a card and one of my friends did. They have your serial number tied into their database. You just key it in and get an RMA and mail it off. Comes back a few days later. Cake.

Not as easy as Dell or IBM where they send you a shipping box and cover 100% of cost, but I don't know of any add-in component manufacturer that does that.

Lord of Shadows said:
I dont know what it is about that sentence, but I believe thats a line worthy enough to become the de facto response to digg articles. ;o)

read my article i posted, it too came from digg :rolleyes:

bobrownik said:
i hope AMD does drop the ATI name,

ati has too many bad things associated with it ,

pisspoor open source support ,

pisspoor warranty

pisspoor customer support

pisspoor ...pretty much everything , except the hardware

so maybe amd will make some good changes while droping the ati name
Try not ignorantly inserting your experience, we don't need flamewars.

Chilly said:

Personally thou I don't care if the Cardss called the Billy Bob Redneck X8000XL XXX OC XTX Uber Edition because I'll just call it the BBR X8000XL OC XTX

If I were AMD I wouldn't want them buying my shit either, probably lose more money through rma's :p

Back