AMD Threadripper 3970X Successor

That's what TR Pro is for, which is basically an Epyc that is binned for desktop level clock frequencies.

So, strx4/TRX40 is here and I'm eyeing the Asus Prime TRX40 board now. Should I wait getting the MB closer to Zen3-Threadripper launch. From what I can tell It's about 100$ cheaper on black friday.

Does anyone have any indication that TRX80 will be released to board partners or consumers next year? That would be the sole reason for me to wait getting a mobo.

You assume people only run art programs on TR. I run a giant pile of VMs, encoding/transcoding, a couple of storage workloads, and a workstation doing normal tasks all at the same time. I could easily use all 64 cores if I had them - I've got a 3960X instead, as I don't have issues with CPU contention most of the time on my threaded workloads.

Two slightly different markets with overlap. Lots of folks who buy TR (like me) who wouldn't buy TR Pro (because I have to buy a pre-built, for one thing, and most of them aren't building for my use case), and Epyc isn't something I particularly care about either (compatibility with the workstation parts I run). I need PCIE lanes, quad channel ram is a plus, and more than 16 cores - but I don't need RDIMMs with their lower performance, nor do I want ECC, and I don't want the cost of Epyc or TRPro either.

Parts give you options and flexibility - There are actually 4 different markets here, just with overlap. There was justification to enter all 4 markets (I'm ignoring laptops and low-power APUs), I don't see any reason that would change at the moment, unless TR sales fall significantly due to 5950x sales and/or the drop-off in revenue for gaming people buying HEDT is significant enough to reduce the value.

We also don't know the true variable cost / opportunity cost (complexity, yields, etc) across TR/TRPro/Epyc to really know what the margins are between them, or how they get planned. The financial analysts and AMD sure do though. And Intel agreed, which is why you can get Intel HEDT chips, TRPro equivalent (W-class Xeons), and Xeon Scalable - all up to what you need. Conceding any of those markets is a bad idea - because your competitor will promptly go into that market to try and exploit it.
As more and more people realize that the AM4 socket is starved for cpu lanes, TR may make a serious comeback. Well, only if utube tells them they want it. "Asus Hyper M.2 PCIe card is no good because it didn't work on my X570 board." hahahahahahaha

Reactions: tived
like this
That's what TR Pro is for, which is basically an Epyc that is binned for desktop level clock frequencies.
TR Pro is a higher clock speed like a TR but with the 8 channel memory that only Epyc had. And we got our 12/16 core TR back. Down side: It's a locked cpu and not for the diy builder.

So, strx4/TRX40 is here and I'm eyeing the Asus Prime TRX40 board now. Should I wait getting the MB closer to Zen3-Threadripper launch. From what I can tell It's about 100$ cheaper on black friday.

Does anyone have any indication that TRX80 will be released to board partners or consumers next year? That would be the sole reason for me to wait getting a mobo.
I'm waiting for ZEN3 TRs. I've been buying stuff for my first gen 1900X/Zenith Extreme for three years.

Happy with my 3970X performance and temps. It's living under a German made solid copper Watercool block that I've been using since the original 1950X came out.
I did test a 3990X and wanted to keep it, however the OS issues with NUMA (showing dual sockets with two 32 core CPU installed) was hindering performance. Tried all OS variants including Intel Clear Linux Project too.
Performance wasn't bad, mind you but not exactly $4k good either! ;) And when power limits were raised to allow fully loaded 4.2GHz across the board, you definitely need lots of radiator area or a supply of chilled water (I have both) as the amount of power this part can use is rather scary. Also 256GB RAM seems a bit stingy for 64 cores. IMHO if I *needed* that many I'd probably be using Epyc anyhow. Just turned up a 7502P VMHOST today and it's quite nice TBH.

I must say things haven't been this exciting for AMD since the Athlon 64 days!
YES. Watercool Heatkiller copper CPU blocks, VRM blocks and res/pump combos are just great.

I actually know. I probably didn't make it clear but the box I'm building will actually be for bragging rights and to show off (I'm an enthusiastic) + some virtualization work ( I tend to run about 10-15 VMs ) in Vmware and virtualbox and they eat up resources very quickly. I know the 3990x is a monster of a CPU. I read many benchmarks but the issue with windows and the price kinda of fueled me into thinking more about the 3970x. I thought I will never be able to fully utilize 64 cores all the time plus saving 2000 USD is nice. I also read somewhere that it is harder to overclock like cpufrost said. Additionally, I thought single threaded performance will actually be better with the 3970x because of the higher boost frequency. Anyways I'll be waiting for zen 3 threadrippers and see. Hopefully they are coming soon.

This is my reddit thread if you are interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/jmsn8u/new_extreme_build_based_on_amd_threadripper_3970x/
I like that Thermaltake coreX9, but you can keep that old Intel and Nvidia junk.

The Thermaltake coreX9 is actually very nice, but its problem is that it needs space. If you have a small office I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise, it is good.

The Thermaltake coreX9 is actually very nice, but its problem is that it needs space. If you have a small office I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise, it is good.
BIG. Yes it is. Dual loops, cpu and gpu are easy and twin 420 rads in the top with two 200mm fans in the front ( up to six 120mm fans in the bottom). In the 90's everything came in a big box with short cables and I needed a big desk. Today I use 15 foot DP, USB, Audio cables and have my PC across the room from my Monitor/Amp/Speakers. Wireless keyboard/mouse. No SATA ports in use and the only Chip Set use is USB jacks on the front of my case.

Relax, it's not that big of a case small office or not. It just requires a little more width than a tower and any case that would house a threadripper needs space for rads anyways.

Honestly I will be buying whatever the next successor is immediately. I have the 3990x and it is a beast, but I need more IPC and MHZ. My workload can easily peg all 64 cores at 100% at 4.2ghz (watercooled) for hours and hours. If there is a 20% ipc increase that means I can run 20% more simulations in the same amount of time, which is worth a lot of money to me.

Honestly I will be buying whatever the next successor is immediately. I have the 3990x and it is a beast, but I need more IPC and MHZ. My workload can easily peg all 64 cores at 100% at 4.2ghz (watercooled) for hours and hours. If there is a 20% ipc increase that means I can run 20% more simulations in the same amount of time, which is worth a lot of money to me.
So run 2 or move to Epyc in multiprocessor configuration

unless that is in some way not possible?

what exactly are you doing to max it out? Sounds interesting

Sounds like a physics sim of some kind

Reactions: tived
like this

RF simulations. Sadly frequency matters too, so the 3990x is actually better than an epyc in certain ways. Epyc MIGHT have an advantage in memory bandwidth, but I am not sure since comprehensive benchmarks don't exist for this type of software and I don't want to risk $40k only to find out it's slower.

The program scales very well with more cores but not 100% linearly, so the combination of 64 cores plus 4.2ghz is very, very appealing. It's a weird use case which runs lots of different types of solvers.....some are GPU accelerated, some are not, some frequency matters more, some cores matter more, etc. And they all run in sequential order queued. I think the best all-around solution I have found for a somewhat reasonable price is 3990x with a RTX 3090.

RF simulations. Sadly frequency matters too, so the 3990x is actually better than an epyc in certain ways. Epyc MIGHT have an advantage in memory bandwidth, but I am not sure since comprehensive benchmarks don't exist for this type of software and I don't want to risk $40k only to find out it's slower.

The program scales very well with more cores but not 100% linearly, so the combination of 64 cores plus 4.2ghz is very, very appealing. It's a weird use case which runs lots of different types of solvers.....some are GPU accelerated, some are not, some frequency matters more, some cores matter more, etc. And they all run in sequential order queued. I think the best all-around solution I have found for a somewhat reasonable price is 3990x with a RTX 3090.
Neat as hell!

Interesting! The 16-core one will be the HEDT version of the 5950X. I'm waiting for CES 2021.
Figures that now that I have my 5950x, a threadripper variant will come out. Oh well, maybe the 6000 series will have a 16 core threadripper with quad channel ddr5. I could be in for that.

Hopefully they'll actually make a 16-core. The 3xxx series starting at $1400 is costing them sales, or at least one (me). Some people buy HEDT for the cores, but for others it's the memory or PCI-e lanes. I went X299 mostly for the lanes. Extra ram capacity is nice too if I need it. CPU wasn't really a concern. An i9-10920X or 10940X would have been fine, though I ended up with a 10980XE after Microcenter put them on sale for $810 last October. Had there been a Threadripper 3950X I probably would have bought one if it was ~$1k or under.

I agree with those who have stepped up to the Threadripper platform due to the extra pcie lanes, until I start to do rendering the CPU isn’t the key to this. Hopefully in years to come the 64 core will drop as my need goes up.

sure it would have been nice to have had a lower price entry point eg. a 16 or less core count.

Interesting! The 16-core one will be the HEDT version of the 5950X. I'm waiting for CES 2021.

Quad channel ddr4 should be the best of oth latency and bandwidth, even against upcoming ddr5 dual channel setups.

8 cores (1900x) seemed wasteful and 24 cores (3960x) is out of reach for the vast majority. 16 cores is a great starting point for TR.

ddr5 dual channel setups.
With DDR5 having a single stick of ram being able to run in dual channel, will quad channel make is entry on regular personal computer desktop (with 8 channel becoming the norm on the HEDT) ?

With DDR5 having a single stick of ram being able to run in dual channel, will quad channel make is entry on regular personal computer desktop (with 8 channel becoming the norm on the HEDT) ?
Dual channel, quad channel, Octo-channel... the important thing is bandwidth and latency. Each module for ddr5 is rated at 3200-6400 MT/s which is 'double' that of ddr4. However, we all know that ddr4 has exceeded 3200 MT/s long ago. Also, it is likely to have more latency. Dual channel per module does not effectively double data rate against, it is just splitting the signal from what I understand.

Many are 'holding off' for ddr5, but they will likely be disappointed in the same way as many were in the early days of ddr4.

Dual channel, quad channel, Octo-channel... the important thing is bandwidth and latency. Each module for ddr5 is rated at 3200-6400 MT/s which is 'double' that of ddr4. However, we all know that ddr4 has exceeded 3200 MT/s long ago. Also, it is likely to have more latency. Dual channel per module does not effectively double data rate against, it is just splitting the signal from what I understand.

Many are 'holding off' for ddr5, but they will likely be disappointed in the same way as many were in the early days of ddr4.
Doubtful that it will be disappointing. DDR5 has sooo many advantages besides density and speed, it has built in ECC. ECC for everyone!

It’ll be DDR4 and SP3, roadmap has always been that. Hope it’s trx40 but I think it’s a reasonable bet as well

I'm mighty curious what those will cost, and the chips too - being only in the P620 so far... it's almost impossible to guess. I like that at least a few of them have BMC boards though - could be a cheaper "almost epyc" than buying an actual epyc board/chip.

My one disappointment with TR3 is the lack of expansion on most (all?) of the motherboards. All this bandwidth and most boards only have ~4 slots.

So it looks like CES had no announcements on Threadrippers.

Are you guys thinking it would be a year or more from now that one would be able to buy either a TR 4000 or 5000 ??

Back