AMD Tech Tour Bundles

Status
Not open for further replies.
S1nF1xx said:
Why are you crying over not being able to score this deal if the company "sucks ass"? :rolleyes:

Think before you post.
/lecture


Wish I would have known they weren't coming my way before I saw the awesome deal. :)

I think it has something to do with them not goin to the PHX area, which they should, hell when I was driving for the HP "HPU" reseller training tour and the "NPI" (New Product Introduction) tour we made it a point to hit PHX every time we went out, it was one of the gigs where the most ppl showed up, the other big ones were the "reasearch triangle" in NC, silicon valley of course, SoCal, and believe it or not, Birmingham....

So I can see why ppl are dismayed at them ignoring these areas, whoever planned this tour needs a serious boot to the head....
 
So is anybody that's not a "professional" of some kind going? And if I did go, would they be ok with it or do they check somehow?
 
I could drive down there... but is there a price to actually go to the conference thingy? I didnt see a price anywhere..
 
quiksilverx181 said:
I could drive down there... but is there a price to actually go to the conference thingy? I didnt see a price anywhere..


It seems to be free.
 
icthus13 said:
So is anybody that's not a "professional" of some kind going? And if I did go, would they be ok with it or do they check somehow?

If it's anything like their past tours or like the tours I used to work they dont really check, if you're worried make up some biz cards, can be done hella cheap :D

The last time I made up a fake one I used "SDF Inc" which stood for "Some Dumb F**k Inc"

Now I use a real biz name, I love working from home 4 days a week :D
 
Arg, when will all these events start going to Phoenix Arizona!? The State is growing very rapidly :(
 
Dark_Seph said:
Arg, when will all these events start going to Phoenix Arizona!? The State is growing very rapidly :(

Like I said b4, I think whoever did this sched need to get a boot to the head, PHX was one of our best shows on the HP tours I did...

I also used to live right around the corner from ASU on East Lemon :D

Sin City at its finest :D

I'll never forget the massive New Years Eve parties thrown down there. Is Edsels and Longs still in downtown Tempe? Had tons of fun there. And who can forget Minder Binders, they still there? It's been a few years since I was thru there last.....
 
One of the options they ask under "Who are you?" is "system builder" which most [H]ard members are. :) I'm sure it would be easy to make up a company name and throw up a crappy web site as a freelance in-home system builder or something.

Another option would be "National Retail Sales Associate". Just fill in Best Buy's info. :D Surely they don't bother to check every registrant. If you ordered one of the bundles I'm sure they would want you to pick it up. They are probably making a nice profit on them too. I don't need a server but that Opteron deal looks mighty sweet.

I'm not 100% sure I can get off work yet and drive that far from NC, but anyone going to Atlanta let's get together for a [H]ard party if I can make it. If you're in NC, maybe we could even meet up somewhere and share the gas costs.


Anyone know where, exactly, these are being held?
Check this link for all the specific addresses.
 
Nice!

The one in Tampa is at the Hard Rock Casino and it's while my wife is out of town!

What a great excuse to spend $250 on hardware and hang out at a casino.

Maybe this year I'll actually win something during the drawings. Everytime ASI, AMD, Intel or Microsoft puts on one of these events I end up going, but I never win in the drawings. :(
 
StarWolf said:
Check this link for all the specific addresses.


Thanks!

I spent an hour looking for that, and never saw it. I had my girlfriend look around their site as well, and she didn't see anything.



icthus13 said:
So is anybody that's not a "professional" of some kind going? And if I did go, would they be ok with it or do they check somehow?

I don't know how exactly I would qualify. I just took a job where I'll be repairing and building computers during my internship.

When I went back in 02, I was just a lowly self-employed(sorta) system builder.

I'm still a system builder on the side (although it's been my bread & butter during the past 2 semesters), and an admin for a LAN Gaming site. We're looking at building a small fleet of servers (4-8)...so I figure that might help as well.

But, no, in the past no one cared about credentials. Most people show up in business casual clothing...but I'll be there(Chicago) in a pair of jean shorts and my LANExtreme staff t-shirt.
 
hot DAMN.

I love this bundle:
# 2 - AMD Opteron™ 246 CPUs
# — Tyan Thunder K8SD Pro (S2882-D) motherboard
# — Microsoft Server 2003 x64 Edition

bummer no pci x16 slot, otherwise I'd use it for my desktop rig. Be a nice speed boost for my 2 scsi drives too.

Plus, they have one within driving distance. (toronto)
 
NecessaryEvil said:
Thanks! I spent an hour looking for that, and never saw it.

:) It was on the 2nd page where you have to fill in the register info under "For venue information and address: Click Here (Yellow Button) "
 
2 - AMD Opteron™ 246 CPUs
— Tyan Thunder K8SD Pro (S2882-D) motherboard
— Microsoft Server 2003 x64 Edition

What am I looking at in terms of performance over my current system in my sig? I'll be using it for a desktop right. Would it have any problems with running WoW, Visual Studio, and Macromedia software, and then problems like trillian and itunes?
 
vodEVIL said:
2 - AMD Opteron™ 246 CPUs
— Tyan Thunder K8SD Pro (S2882-D) motherboard
— Microsoft Server 2003 x64 Edition

What am I looking at in terms of performance over my current system in my sig? I'll be using it for a desktop right. Would it have any problems with running WoW, Visual Studio, and Macromedia software, and then problems like trillian and itunes?

No AGP or PCIe slot on it, so you would have to resell it and get another mobo.
 
EnderXC said:
No AGP or PCIe slot on it, so you would have to resell it and get another mobo.

What would be a good motherboard to get? I don't need a SLI capable system as I would never fork out that kind of money...And speaking of money, what kind of PSU would be needed to power such a beast(the dual opterons)?
 
I'm selling the mobo I get (or trading it for ECC/Registered DDR). I'm going to get the Tyan K8W.

They have a K8SE which is SLI capable as well, but it has only 4 USB 2.0 instead of 8, and the K8W has 2 x16 slots that run at full speed, vs the K8SE's 1 x16 and 1 x4.

Unfortunately, the K8W only has 1 IDE slot...and I'd prefer to have 2. But, I think I can probably work around this.
 
EnderXC said:
Do they have the discounted bundles every year?

They do "something" every year. It's not always bundles, though.

I remember one time, they had you sit and build your own PC and then you could buy that PC for a really cheap price. Intel did the same thing once.

Usually I go for the potential freebees, but this is a good bundle for the money. ;)
 
any ideas whether those CPUs are retail or OEM?


I know when I initially placed the order on the server, it said "Tray", but now it doesn't.


I'm curious if it'll come with the heatsinks I'll need or not....
 
EnderXC said:
No AGP or PCIe slot on it, so you would have to resell it and get another mobo.
Does it have onboard graphics then or is it just reg PCI graphics cards that would work in it? Also on the page listing the bundle it says its not for resale, so if I do get it that bored is going on the FS forums. Another things, no one really answered it, but am I going to have any problems with the dually setup? Such as games running slower or anything? Hum, I am going to have to buy new ram too aint I...... :confused: Damn me for not knowing about dually setups. Thanks everyone
 
karrock said:
Yeah, I feel deprived! 210 mile road trip to NJ? No thanks!! :(
That's an awfully huge geographical hole between East Brunswick and Atlanta...

Ouch drizzt, it's only an hour longer for you to go to Chicago :p
dang! you are right. I might be going to chicago that weekend anyway for Dj Rush (www.djrush.net), maybe i can leave 2 days early ... *thinks*
 
Thanks for that link! now I can see a review of the mobo I was thinking about getting, and the mobo I had looked at before.



(And, I just found out that the Chicago one is being held 15 miles away from my Aunt & Uncle, so now I don't have to drive 3.5 hours home late at night!)
 
I just registered...is the bundle purchase link broken for anyone else?

Rob
 
holy hell.. why is this in New Brunswick instead of NYC? grr... i don't have a car
 
Doh and I just received my 3000+ and MSI Neo4 from Newegg. Too late to return now but maybe I could pick it up in Chicago and sell my 3000+ and Neo4 on eBay or something... Oh the choices..
 
considering buying both bundles... i have a client that needs a server in a month
and I could always use/resell parts from the other bundle..
maybe upgrade my 3000+ to 3200 :)

I'll def be in the ATL tour
 
cobalt said:
Doh and I just received my 3000+ and MSI Neo4 from Newegg. Too late to return now but maybe I could pick it up in Chicago and sell my 3000+ and Neo4 on eBay or something... Oh the choices..

bummer for you.

hope you didn't get a winchester.
 
Damn, they are coming to Dallas, but I reckon the cost of gas alone wouldn't justify the trip. I hate living in this crappy ass town.
 
the chicago one is gonna be in arlington heights.
why even say chicago on the website?
:rolleyes:

killa deals though, regardless of location
 
I'd think about it I doubt I'd pickup one of the bundles as by the time the tour gets here to Tampa (June 14th) the prices will be low enough anyways...is the Tech Tour free itself? I might just go to check some stuff out...
 
This should be well worth the trip to one of my favorite cities the big T DOT.
 
Ruffy said:
considering buying both bundles... i have a client that needs a server in a month
and I could always use/resell parts from the other bundle..
maybe upgrade my 3000+ to 3200 :)

I'll def be in the ATL tour
One bundle per person :(
 
I just signed up for the Atlanta show and ordered the $250 bundle. Like I need it. :rolleyes: I want that copy of the 64 bit version of Windows though. I will probably trade the rest off more than likely.
 
Fawk it, I bought both, the server bundle was too good to pass up. I'm going to drive up from DC to NJ probably on Wednesday night.

I registered my "business name" as Sole Propriator. In VA, you can have a Sole Propriatorship as your First & Last name, using your ssn as your business licence number.
 
ok people stop BUYING THEM!

They better still have stock by the time I have the money (Next week)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top