AMD takes yet another market share blow

nVidia's stock took a hit today despite record GPU sales. I wonder what they are doing wrong.

nVidia's stock took a hit today despite record GPU sales. I wonder what they are doing wrong.

apoErQz.png

OMG NVIDIA is done for!!!!

Seriously though, who the hell cares about stock prices and not gaming potential, personally I don't use my high end cards to create stock charts (well ok, in this case it did render the graph from google)

Prepare yourselves for $1200 entry-level CPUs and $2000 mid-range GPUs people.
This is all that will come of this.

It would be nice if Samsung, evil as they are, to buy up AMD and its resources to keep the prices down.
But if not, prepare to have your wallets bend over, and take [H]ard. :eek:

Why do you (not singling you out, this is commonly mentioned, but I don't understand the rationale behind it) assume someone like Samsung would buy AMD just to pour additonal resources in the desktop discrete GPU market? This is by most accounts a declining market and surely not one with high growth potential. AMD itself is already transitioning to other segments.

Prepare yourselves for $1200 entry-level CPUs and $2000 mid-range GPUs people.

Unlikely. Despite a lot of papering-over of the situation, these markets (PCs, dGPUs, etc.) are hemorrhaging. It's going to be harder and harder to sell these things to begin with, and raising prices isn't going to help.

Though it is possible that the highest end will go up in price to try to make up for lost sales, since people in that market stratum will be willing to pay.

Why do you (not singling you out, this is commonly mentioned, but I don't understand the rationale behind it) assume someone like Samsung would buy AMD just to pour additonal resources in the desktop discrete GPU market? This is by most accounts a declining market and surely not one with high growth potential. AMD itself is already transitioning to other segments.

According to Yahoo AMD has a market cap of $1.32B

Microsoft bought Minecraft for $2.5B

If someone wanted to buy AMD they would have done it by now.

Unlikely. Despite a lot of papering-over of the situation, these markets (PCs, dGPUs, etc.) are hemorrhaging. It's going to be harder and harder to sell these things to begin with, and raising prices isn't going to help.

Though it is possible that the highest end will go up in price to try to make up for lost sales, since people in that market stratum will be willing to pay.

Apparently you forget when AMD was on top circa 2005, and a low-end 3800+ X2 CPU was nearly $400, with their FX-60 being $1200.
Also, do you not remember the 1980s and 1990s when CPUs were easily $800-1000+?

If they charge too much people will not upgrade and/or another company will see the gross margins and jump in.

AMD drastically cut their R&D, but gave huge bonuses to their executives.

Pretty much explains everything that's been going on.

Computer were not commodities in the 80s and 90s, they are now.

Exactly, when Intel gave into pressure and released Bay Trail they forever cemented the reality: people will never again pay more than this for a USABLE low-end PC compatible.

Four out-of-order cores, 2+ GHz turbo, and passable tablet-level gaming, found in products priced under $200. That price can never go up, if they want to continue to move units (or expand sales in tablets).

Discrete GPU purchases are a luxury item that people have to justify. For mass-market parts, has to be significantly faster than integrated graphics (which is always improving), and it has to be reasonably priced (compared to used, as well as consoles) or have new features / lower power to entice new buyers, AND there have to be new games that are desirable, and require more horsepower.

For high-end parts, there's more pricing flexibility, and that magic number keeps changing. But it's usually capped at $1000. The lower the price, the more units you will sell, but the less profit you will make on each, so it's a tough thing to make such a call. But I doubt you'll see the ceiling go up much. You go up much higher in price, and you're starting to compete in the "big toys for big boys" category.

If Nvidia raises prices much higher than they already are, they're in danger of suffocating the PC gaming community before it's actually dead. I'm sure they're smarter than that :D

Last edited:
According to Yahoo AMD has a market cap of $1.32B

Microsoft bought Minecraft for $2.5B

If someone wanted to buy AMD they would have done it by now.

People keep forgetting that a buyout of AMD = bye-bye x86 license.

The live in some sort of warped reality, where facts don't matter :(

And also, bye bye x86-64 for Intel?

No.
I take you, like most others never read the actual agreement, sad states of forums these days.

If AMD gets taken over, the lose the rights to x86, game over for AMD's x86.
It will mean nothing for Intel, they will still get to cross-license, even if AMD violates the agrement.

Make sense....why should Intel suffer because AMD violated the terms?

That x86 should have died a long time ago and that AMD is responsible for us still being stuck on x86 is another talk...but not one suited for these forums sadly.

I haven't looked at AMD CPUs for past 8 years.
I haven't looked at AMD graphics cards for past 4 years.

Whether AMD exists or not, I will continue to pay top dollar for my PC when there is a need. If AMD dies tomorrow, nvidia will not magically start charging 2000 for desktop graphics as long as there are consoles to keep the price point in check. Also with tons of people growing up and giving up gaming and tons of new generation being very happy with console gaming, mobile gaming etc. there will be about 200k-300k people purchasing high end video cards. The rest of us will have our 500, 300 and 150 graphics cards.

A tech company like nvidia will die if it does not have a mass market customer. Just like a universal bank will die if it does not have mass market retail customers. As an analogy.

AMD graphics died 3+ years ago when nvidia charged 1000 for desktop graphics and was sold out for months. Same with the 980 ti cards. If you see the poll I made here recently there are almost as many people with 980 ti cards as they are with all other AMD cards outside of Fury and 390 series. Also total of Fury and 390 series owners were less than 10% and overall share of AMD was 35% on a hardware enthusiast site. Average customer doesn't even know if AMD exists in the graphics cards business since they changed their name.

I have gotten to the point before Fury where I was indifferent to AMD. After Fury series and now with pricing of Nano, I actually want AMD to fail as it is a decadent company deceiving its shareholders and creditors. A business practice that has been going on since 2008/09 bailouts and hasn't changed. Any company that cannot avert their financial crisis for 5+ years needs to die a swift death.

I am sure AMD can continue to be a shell company with 5-10 people managing the manufacturing of console chips till life of console.

Also will ensure next time around we actually get hardware in console that at least matches what you get on PC rather than consoles still looking like running on last gen architecture and can't even keep 60 fps at 1080p. Yes they may cost 600 or so but at least we would have moved on in terms of better hardware rather than the crap AMD designed for both Sony and MS which is so 2008 in terms of performance.

its all about the thermal envelope.

Consoles will NEVER have desktop class parts.

They cant.

No.
I take you, like most others never read the actual agreement, sad states of forums these days.

If AMD gets taken over, the lose the rights to x86, game over for AMD's x86.
It will mean nothing for Intel, they will still get to cross-license, even if AMD violates the agrement.

Make sense....why should Intel suffer because AMD violated the terms?

That x86 should have died a long time ago and that AMD is responsible for us still being stuck on x86 is another talk...but not one suited for these forums sadly.

Screw Intel, it has more then enough money to deal with whatever fallout happens should AMD get bought out by Samsung or another tech giant.

i think you missed the point.

Whoever buys AMD loses the ability to make CPUs/APUs unless intel decides to licence x86 to the new owner.

Thats a very large chunk of their business.

Which means they would ONLY be buying the GPU division.

I am sure AMD can continue to be a shell company with 5-10 people managing the manufacturing of console chips till life of console.

Also will ensure next time around we actually get hardware in console that at least matches what you get on PC rather than consoles still looking like running on last gen architecture and can't even keep 60 fps at 1080p. Yes they may cost 600 or so but at least we would have moved on in terms of better hardware rather than the crap AMD designed for both Sony and MS which is so 2008 in terms of performance.

What sort of world do you live in? The world I live in says people will never pay that much for a console now or at anytime in the future. Sony sold the PS3 for $600 and looked how they turned out for them at the time. Then look how the $500 price on the XBox One caused a big stir.

Ah, Hell NO! I will not buy a console with a ARM based weak ass processor. What is in the consoles now is much better than that in my opinion.

What about Project Denver?

It's got competitive performance compared to the Apple A8, depending on load (even with the overhead of translation). And they can avoid the overhead of translation by exposing the VLIW architecture directly. There's nothing stopping them offering 8 cores at 2.5 GHz.

It's in shipping products. The only reason it's only on one product is because Android makes surprisingly good use of 3-4 cores:

http://anandtech.com/show/9518/the-mobile-cpu-corecount-debate/18

And as Mediatek will tell you, it's painfully easy to throw more ARM-designed cores on a chip. Denver will be saved for those special cases that need it :D

Last edited:
What sort of world do you live in? The world I live in says people will never pay that much for a console now or at anytime in the future. Sony sold the PS3 for $600 and looked how they turned out for them at the time. Then look how the $500 price on the XBox One caused a big stir.
If both consoles were 500, there wouldnt be any stir and sales would be the exact same.
When both consoles were 400 (briefly) sales were similar. MS gained the lead by undercutting itself.

Also in all other markets outside of US consoles still sell for 500+ and there were stock outs till beginning of this year.

There is a world outside of US.

Did any of us consider the pricing on the 970 cards to be way out of line when they launched? Bit spendy like any new shiny card but they performed well. They still do. I just can't justify changing mine yet.

Where the bummer come in is what is the pricing still like right now? Prices are holding very steady on the 970 and the 980 Ti simply because there isn't anything that pushes Nvidia to lower the pricing much.

AMD can't deliver good tech. I'd rather see them go AWAY and another company come up to take a run at providing competition than have a slow two decade bleed where they just can't compete and just won't die either.

Yes, I like Nvidia and their tech and am biased toward them but I also understand business. If Nvidia slows the pace of innovation too much another company will sweep them away.

It's like crying over the loss of Diamond, Rendition, or 3Dfx. Even Matrox took a stab at 3D for a while. They all had their day. There is nothing to say another may not crop up one of these days with something innovative that will make Nvidia scramble and play catch-up.

Lets see, I bought my first mainstream quad core cpu 8 years ago for less than Intel is selling mainstream quad core cpus for now........

i think you missed the point.

Whoever buys AMD loses the ability to make CPUs/APUs unless intel decides to licence x86 to the new owner.

Thats a very large chunk of their business.

Which means they would ONLY be buying the GPU division.

People get hung up on Video Cards, they are missing the bigger pic. AMD going tits up would be bad for all of us.

Back