AMD Super HOT Coupons!!

uhm, what is so great about these processors? I have an AMD 3700+ (1mb l2), which one would be comparable? Which one would be the equivilant of a 3800X2? Is it worth it to go to one of these over my 3700?

Well....lets see a FX60 which is a dual core 2.6ghz cpu, costs $1000.

Almost every single opty 165 or 170 does at least 2.5ghz. The 165 was just $280 shipped(just expired). So $280 for the speed of an $1000 processor.

Your amd 3700 is 2.2ghz with 1mb cache? Or is 3700 2.4ghz? 2.2 would would be equal to the single core opteron 148.

v6maro said:
uhm, what is so great about these processors? I have an AMD 3700+ (1mb l2), which one would be comparable? Which one would be the equivilant of a 3800X2? Is it worth it to go to one of these over my 3700?

v6maro said:

the breakdown can kind of go like this:
clock speed is 1.8 = C+ or B-
1mb cache x2 (dual core) = A
Dual cores at 1.8 each = B+
OC potential = A+

Basically, the value is huge since you can OC it to virtually FX-60 levels fairly easy and even if you can only get it up to 2.2 or 2.4 its still got the additional cache and dual cores. At stock, its really just got the dual core and cache going for it. The Opterons are made of some stern stuff that almost guarantees you a very high OC at stock or a little higher voltage (low temps :) )

Yup the 165 coupon is used up. Either killed the monarch because they are running low on stock or because actually 200 people used it up, which would be amazing.....

In for a 170. I had been thinking of waiting until the fall but if it gets any cheaper than this, I will just upgrade again if I have to. ;) I got a 7800GT and one of the SATA II HDs as well. If only Monarch had the mATX board I wanted, it could have been one stop shopping. Thanks for the great deals.

Rhino

Retsam said:
Yup the 165 coupon is used up. Either killed the monarch because they are running low on stock or because actually 200 people used it up, which would be amazing.....
Why would it be amazing? This deal has been posted on all sorts of other forums. Heck, I even saw it on FatWallet today.

too little too late........... :( I was going to order the Opteron 175 since i found a buyer for my processor. Sucks :(

Mr. Monarch... you have answered the first of my requests. Now if you will just come through and not take this down until Saturday at the earliest, I would be so thankful. I really want one of these bad!

Awesome deals. Do you guys still have 165's in stock? My order from a while ago hasnt even been processed yet. I emailed monarch so hopefully itll get going. :p

I am really hesitant on spending $250 to $300 on a limited (60 day) warranty item (EOM)...

Why jump at this offer on an EOM?

Is it because if the CPU is bad, it's bad right out of the box... after burn or after 60 days, most likely the CPU will last? Is this the thought here?

Im assuming you meant OEM not EOM? lol

Most cpus dont go bad in their lifetime. And since opterons are better made anyways....who cares if its OEM. Not to mention this is the cheapest price you are gonna find anywhere...Warranty is void as soon as you overclock it anyways. So retail/oem doesnt really matter.

Most of them do fx60 speeds. $280 for the speed of an $1000 cpu. Need I say more? :p

BlizzofOZ said:
I am really hesitant on spending $250 to $300 on a limited (60 day) warranty item (EOM)...

Why jump at this offer on an EOM?

Is it because if the CPU is bad, it's bad right out of the box... after burn or after 60 days, most likely the CPU will last? Is this the thought here?

I got my 170 from monarch and i dont think its the greatest of the opterons as far as overclocking, but it still does 2.7 dual prime stable at 1.57v which puts it ahead of the FX-60 for a third of the cost. The 165 for $270 seems like an awesome deal, especially with the way some of them have been clocking

well ive got a 144 from Monarch and its over 2.8ghz with memory at 255 3-4-4-8 1T on DDR400 G.skill TCCD. Its fast and a good upgrade from my OC'd Venice!

Its a new stepping btw, CAB2E 0602DPGW

I'm computer programmer (mainframe) by trade and since it's near month-end processing, I had EOM (end of month) on the mind. :D

I definitly understand that these are good deals... but it's not often that I get to spend money on a new computer. I'd be really p****ed off if the CPU died after the warranty was up. Not to say anybody on this board can afford to throw money away...

So bascially, take your chances (however small they may be) to go with an OEM or take the safe route and get a warrented CPU.

right, and we told you how low the chances are of ever having a problem. Its in your court now as to how paranoid or not you choose to be.

Honestly there really is no need for a warranty on a CPU especially if you plan to overclock. If you're hesitating because it's OEM don't worry and go ahead and get one. If it's a bad CPU it'll be bad when it gets to you and you'll have two months to return it. I would be shocked if a CPU just randomly stopped working two months after purchase. Plus if you go retail your also paying for a heatsink and a box which you probably don't need.

Thanks to everyone for their replies!!! You've helped me make a decision... I went for the OEM Opteron 165. :D

The fact that I do want to overclock was the deciding factor, since the warranty would be voided if I OC'd.

Thanks!!!

I got an Opty 148 CABYE doing 2.93 ghz, @ 1.63 v (its that high only because the voltage on my mobo isnt stable and it jumps and dips +/- .06) ... highest temp reached on 24 hour Prime 95 torture test = 47c ... which kicks A$$.

I sooo regret I didnt wait for this deal, but you never know... atleast I can live with the fact that mines is from an excelent pedigree and hits 2.93 ghz with a simple volt boost.

Runing with my (2GB) OCZ Gold PC500 (2x1GB) @ (266 HTT 1:1), 3-4-3-6 1T (2.7v)

I'm going mad-speed on anything I do... Opty 148 highly recomended by me :)

Retsam said:
...Not to mention this is the cheapest price you are gonna find anywhere...
Unfortunately not for everybody. Pesky sales tax and all for those of us who live in Georgia, which tends to kill any savings on big-ticket items over a few hundred dollars. :(

I was going to jump on a 175 the other day when Monarch first posted the coupon deal. With tax, even with the coupon, it was more for the OEM than what I just paid Newegg for a RETAIL boxed 175.

But for the rest of the country these are some pretty hot deals. :)

People actually live in Georgia? Jk :p

I know tax sucks. Now you know how I feel everytime there is a zipzoomfly, Newegg etc etc CA deals. :p

Retsam said:
People actually live in Georgia? Jk :p

I know tax sucks. Now you know how I feel everytime there is a zipzoomfly, Newegg etc etc CA deals. :p
Well, I *am* a transplant thanks to my job. But I won't say where I'm originally from because it's worse than Georgia. ;)

The sad thing is I could drive down to Monarch -- it's only about an hour or so away -- but tax is just enough to offset any savings unless it's a smokin' HOT deal, plus I drive an SUV, so counting gas I'd pay double. :eek:

whats that u say? drugs? no sir.. not me!

my.php

-thebrain

Yes you. Because the coupon still works. It might be because youre trying to be greedy and buy 2 of them. You can only buy one. Or if someone else lives near you with your zipcode / city. Only one of you would be able to get it.

I already checked, the code still works. So youre obviously doing something wrong..

Honestly, everyone scared of the 60 day warranty ask yourselves - how many procs have you ever had to replace in your lifetime? I'm a tech and I've replaced 1 - UNO - in my 2.5 years at my current job. I support 300 or so PCs. I think I replaced one at my last job too... for those 2.5 years I was there.

That said - I'm really REALLY tempted to jump on this. That low interest CC deal I just got in the mail is beckoning to me.

well a programatic block such as that does not make me on drugs!

do you deny my screenshot! was the alert not in red.. was the syntax of the alert not in a way that expressed expiration.. or does the syntax perhaps say used/claimed/out of order.. no sir.. u are wrong in insinuating drug usage...

calm down sir.. take some pills.. chill...

it says what it says.. you said what you said.. i say what i say...

-thebrain

Back