AMD Stacked V-Cache

You need to display sarcasm, yeah.....?
Do better please.
Wow, I thought the smiley face at the end of the first sentence showed the obvious sarcasm, and didn't realize my posts had to live up to your high standards.
Welcome to the ignore list.

Also, nice contribution to this thread. /s

Would also be interesting if AMD put what's in the PS5 into laptops and desktop motherboards but obviously AMD doesn't want to disrupt it's own market.

They can't, the PS5 belongs to Sony. Likewise, the Xboxes belong to Microsoft.

But Microsoft is absolutely putting Xbox dies into other hardware, not just gaming consoles.

Seems apple is the most likely to build systems like that. Similar to consoles.
I don't want a console, I want a motherboard or laptop with powerful graphics that doesn't cost $1k+. What's in the PS5 is cheap and very cost effective. If you want what's in the PS5 then you need to spend $1.5K without scalper prices. Also, Apple laptop wouldn't be my first choice for gaming.

They can't, the PS5 belongs to Sony. Likewise, the Xboxes belong to Microsoft.

But Microsoft is absolutely putting Xbox dies into other hardware, not just gaming consoles.
I don't expect AMD to copy what they put in consoles 100%. I was expecting them to go chiplet with APU's. One part CPU and one part GPU. This would be cheaper and not exactly the same thing as in the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

I don't expect AMD to copy what they put in consoles 100%. I was expecting them to go chiplet with APU's.

I had high hopes for that until AMD unveiled the RX 6000M series, and it's looking more and more like APUs are going to still remain segmented toward the lower end.

Now, if they can leverage some of their chiplet magic to bring back discrete graphics+APU then they're absolutely golden, even if that's a generation out or more.

I had high hopes for that until AMD unveiled the RX 6000M series, and it's looking more and more like APUs are going to still remain segmented toward the lower end.

Now, if they can leverage some of their chiplet magic to bring back discrete graphics+APU then they're absolutely golden, even if that's a generation out or more.

Well, the thing is, Sony and MS can sell those consoles with a little to no margin because console gaming market generates money on software sales and license fees, as well as the volume to support lower price. Similarly specced APU for PC market would be priced lot higher than it would be possible on consoles and It wouldn't look so attractive compared to traditional CPU+dGPU PCs pricewise.

Reactions: Axman
like this
I'd happily spend $1,000 or more for a laptop powered by an Xbox S-tier APU. Even with the added BOM, I guarantee you all across [H], if there was an Xbox-grade mobile gaming, it would be all of our de-facto on the go rigs, and be the most recommended PC by a wide margin.

A $10K desk holding up a $3K Xbox X lappy would be on every page of No Talking Allowed, and no two alike.

I think they're running into problems with power and packaging, TBH. Microsoft can shunt OK dies into their server parts, and Sony was very clever in how they worked with AMD to do as much or more with less. Both have the luxury of sticking the parts into larger enclosures with more aggressive cooling systems.

It just doesn't seem to be in the cards for this generation, as cool as it would have been.

I'd happily spend $1,000 or more for a laptop powered by an Xbox S-tier APU. Even with the added BOM, I guarantee you all across [H], if there was an Xbox-grade mobile gaming, it would be all of our de-facto on the go rigs, and be the most recommended PC by a wide margin.

A $10K desk holding up a $3K Xbox X lappy would be on every page of No Talking Allowed, and no two alike.

I think they're running into problems with power and packaging, TBH. Microsoft can shunt OK dies into their server parts, and Sony was very clever in how they worked with AMD to do as much or more with less. Both have the luxury of sticking the parts into larger enclosures with more aggressive cooling systems.

It just doesn't seem to be in the cards for this generation, as cool as it would have been.
I could see that happening once there's been further process shrinks or chip optimization... but of course, by that point Xbox Series X/PS5-level performance wouldn't be quite so spectacular.

Well, the thing is, Sony and MS can sell those consoles with a little to no margin because console gaming market generates money on software sales and license fees, as well as the volume to support lower price. Similarly specced APU for PC market would be priced lot higher than it would be possible on consoles and It wouldn't look so attractive compared to traditional CPU+dGPU PCs pricewise.
It would be if you were to buy a complete Desktop or laptop. I'm interested in a motherboard with their APU. I understand it'll cost more when I put in my SSD, RAM, case, PSU, and etc. I just want the option. While AMD's V-Cache sounds interesting, I'm sure it'll be for $500+ CPU's with no integrated graphics, which is where this V-Cache would come in extremely handy. This V-Cache sounds like something more for the server market that will cost a substantial amount for the desktop and laptop market. I doubt the laptop market will get it. AMD is adding more silicon to a chip while we have a silicon shortage, so it won't be cheap.

there was an update to the anandtech article. My impression is this will be on AM4 and that means Zen 4 + AM5 will be pushed back to late 2022
This is what I'm thinking. I was going to upgrade from a 3700x to a 5900x or 5950x but I'm just going to wait and see if they release these on AM4.

Back