AMD Says No More M2's...

Oh Damnn..they are still going to release M2 or AM2 or whatever. I want them to support Socket 939 with new processers for a couple of more years :D
Why not just build a new Socket 939 mobo that can support the current processers and support DDR2 :confused: Is it a memory controller limitation?

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
Why not just build a new Socket 939 mobo that can support the current processers and support DDR2 :confused: Is it a memory controller limitation?

It's a memory controller limitation. The memory controller on current Socket 939 processors supports only DDR1.

Also, had there been Socket 939 processor that supports DDR2, then that would create a bad compatibility situation between processor and mobo: In this case, Socket 939 mobos supporting DDR2 (if they ever come out) would not support the current Socket 939 processors, and the new DDR2-supporting Socket 939 processors (if any of them would ever be made) would not work on current mobos.

Not to be an ass... but... dont people that read the inquirer realize that half of it is bogus garbage? I know this is real, but I cant imagine checking the inquirer for stories on a daily basis.

Everyone says that the Inquirer is pretty bogus but from what I've seen, they have always been pretty close to the truth... maybe its me? :confused:

I know thered be some straggler cpu's on teh market. Why not make a 939 rev 2 cpu that can do both ddr 1 and 2.

Only problem I see is old cpus on a newer rev2 board that had ddr2. Hell I could even see them putting both ddr and ddr 2 slots on the same motherboards. Anyone remember that when ddr first was comming out? Hell I can remember when dimms came out and we still had simm sockets on the board as well. I'm 23 and I feel old.

the inq is usually the first with something. Its usually the first to misreport something also. Comes with the territory:p

The Inquirer has a tendency to post all kinds of rumors they get hold off, so you get the sort of stuff like s939 Opterons being canceled. I'm sure this is exactly what they were told by their source(s), but you can never be 100% about anything until it is official. You just have to keep that in mind when you read it. And add a hefty sprinkling of salt whenever you read Fuad's video card meanderings. All in all I find the Inq to be a good read, their CPU articles get my approval.

defuseme2k said:
I know thered be some straggler cpu's on teh market. Why not make a 939 rev 2 cpu that can do both ddr 1 and 2.

Only problem I see is old cpus on a newer rev2 board that had ddr2. Hell I could even see them putting both ddr and ddr 2 slots on the same motherboards. Anyone remember that when ddr first was comming out? Hell I can remember when dimms came out and we still had simm sockets on the board as well. I'm 23 and I feel old.

What you have to remember is that the memory controllers were in the northbridge. So yeah, you can support multiple RAM types. I remember when they had old SIMM with DIMM slots on the same board. Because the memory controller is built into the chip on A64's, we have no such luck. I don't think they will make modular CPU's where we can swap out mem controllers anytime soon either. If Intel wanted, they could have made a chipset that was backwards compatible with DDR1 and DDR2, but they didn't. Although, didn't someone come out with a board that could?

covertclocker said:
What you have to remember is that the memory controllers were in the northbridge. So yeah, you can support multiple RAM types. I remember when they had old SIMM with DIMM slots on the same board. Because the memory controller is built into the chip on A64's, we have no such luck. I don't think they will make modular CPU's where we can swap out mem controllers anytime soon either. If Intel wanted, they could have made a chipset that was backwards compatible with DDR1 and DDR2, but they didn't. Although, didn't someone come out with a board that could?

Have you heard of the Intel 915 chipset ??

There are many boards based on it which have both DDR1 and DDR2...

With IMC you shrink latency but you lose in flexibility...

What was most interesting in that article to me was that the HTT is gonna be moved from 200 to 333. That seems unlikely for some reason to me. This is the first time I have heard such a rumor. Anyone else catch this? Anyone heard of this before now?

metallicafan said:
What was most interesting in that article to me was that the HTT is gonna be moved from 200 to 333. That seems unlikely for some reason to me. This is the first time I have heard such a rumor. Anyone else catch this? Anyone heard of this before now?

No, the "base for the HTT" is moving to 333.
HTT will continue to be a 1ghz bus, just at 3 x 333 instead of 5 x 200.

Araanor said:
The Inquirer has a tendency to post all kinds of rumors they get hold off, so you get the sort of stuff like s939 Opterons being canceled. I'm sure this is exactly what they were told by their source(s), but you can never be 100% about anything until it is official. You just have to keep that in mind when you read it. And add a hefty sprinkling of salt whenever you read Fuad's video card meanderings. All in all I find the Inq to be a good read, their CPU articles get my approval.

32 Pipe R580 running 1Ghz/1.8Ghz that gets 50k in 3dmark01 :p

FreiDOg said:

In what way would this be an improvement? I guess i'm not sure why they'd even bother if it generates the same approximate result. Would it be a reduced latency?

savantu said:
Have you heard of the Intel 915 chipset ??

There are many boards based on it which have both DDR1 and DDR2...

With IMC you shrink latency but you lose in flexibility...

He was only trying to explain why you can't use DDR/DDR2 with AMD.

Socket upgrades are a great way to ensure your revenue stream continues. Be interesting to see how DDR2 works out with AMD. Given the fact that AMD doesn't change sockets as much as Intel, I don't have an issue with an IMC.

pduan87 said:
Everyone says that the Inquirer is pretty bogus but from what I've seen, they have always been pretty close to the truth... maybe its me? :confused:

Look how many articles they come out with. Some of them are wrong and some are right. I have never seen anyone analyze what percentage of them is right or wrong.

SamuraiInBlack said:
In what way would this be an improvement? I guess i'm not sure why they'd even bother if it generates the same approximate result. Would it be a reduced latency?

It's not an improvement for HTT.
It's just a fact of life since AMD is using a 333mhz system base with the DDR II chips.

FreiDOg said:
i appreciate your effort, but HTT is the base clock, contrary to what many people think. the HT link is the thing that runs at ~1000mhz ;)

tazdevl said:
He was only trying to explain why you can't use DDR/DDR2 with AMD.

Socket upgrades are a great way to ensure your revenue stream continues. Be interesting to see how DDR2 works out with AMD. Given the fact that AMD doesn't change sockets as much as Intel, I don't have an issue with an IMC.
Intel has been pretty good with Socket lately, LGA775 will be stable and support Conroe which is Late 2006.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i appreciate your effort, but HTT is the base clock, contrary to what many people think. the HT link is the thing that runs at ~1000mhz ;)

hmmm . . . Well I hadnt heard that. This will result in lower CPU multipliers, will it not? :(

I mean I guess now that I think about it, it makes since. The current HTT is 200mhz so that our DDR "runs" at an effective 400Mhz. So with DDR2 they will need a 333 HTT so that the DDR2 runs at an effective 666. Isn't that what DDR2 is running at nowdays?

(cf)Eclipse said:

good to know. I had it backwards too ;). I always said FSB still b/c "HT Link" is too cumbersome to use all the time. HTT ftw.

------

The 333mhz base makes sense, since DDR2 run at speeds on this scale. I don't think they meant for it to be a big change in CPU operations, it's more because of the memory change. So, do we know if DDR2 667 or that lower one (500 seomthing) will be the base speed yet?

I tihkn 533 was the first gen, PC2-4200 i believe. very slow. The latencies are crazy high so first gen ddr2 sticks didn't sell all that well.

Back