AMD Ryzen Threadripper 5970X Socket Comapatibility

Lucky75

Limp Gawd
Hello guys,
I want to know did somebody has some information about next Ryzen Threadripper socket ?
I am planing to buy Tr 3970x but only if next some generations are compatible with that motherboard.
Could you please share with us if you know something.

It is most likely that if the new Threadripper is zen 4 then it will get a new socket.

Per roadmap It’ll be SP3, but whether it works with old boards or not is another thing. I hope so as I’d like a slot in upgrade but I’m wary.

I know some retailers have been pissed off over the Ryzen 5000, one of my suppliers literally has a dedicated line for people on a Saturday morning to get their bios flashed so their new chip works.

Don’t know when we’ll find out though, with Pro going public availability and their current supply issues I think it’ll be a while. Might as well just sell zen 3 epycs.

Hello guys,
I want to know did somebody has some information about next Ryzen Threadripper socket ?
I am planing to buy Tr 3970x but only if next some generations are compatible with that motherboard.
Could you please share with us if you know something.
I'm tired of waiting for those zen 3 threadrippers myself. I might end up getting a 3970x, sell it when zen 3 TR's come and upgrade the cpu but how can I do that without knowing the answer to your question! Somebody needs to hack into AMD and leak something to us:)

I'm tired of waiting for those zen 3 threadrippers myself. I might end up getting a 3970x, sell it when zen 3 TR's come and upgrade the cpu but how can I do that without knowing the answer to your question! Somebody needs to hack into AMD and leak something to us:)
You won't regret a tr if you can make ues of the cores or need the massive increase in expandability
They clock surprisingly well...if you keep them cool my 3960 runs in the 4.3-4.4 all core and 4.5-4.6st. the jump form zen 2-3 tr is likely to be a lot smaller then it was form 1-2 so don't feel bad about picking one up if you need a rig

Also if zen 3 pricing and availability is any indication you might regret waiting

Yes, I am on the same situation here. I can get now 3970x and probably to upgrade after an year.

I am having doubts about whether we'll see a Threadripper 5000 series. Supply is so thin vs demand, it makes more sense to sell the dies as Ryzen or Epyc chips. Threadripper as a middle-SKU just spreads the supply too thin.

dies that would make a 32 core TR can be sold as a 32 core Epyc, which will make FAR more money, if their TDP can be modified and efficiency is in-line

If the efficiency is not in-line: those same dies can be sold as two 16/12 core Ryzens, or FOUR 6/8 core Ryzens, which will help alleviate huge demand from the consumer sector.

TR Pro, from what I can see, is AMD's way of releasing something new to the few consumers wanting in HEDT/Prosumer market. I doubt we'll see any other TR products this year.

If we do see it, it will be nearly vaporware.

I am having doubts about whether we'll see a Threadripper 5000 series. Supply is so thin vs demand, it makes more sense to sell the dies as Ryzen or Epyc chips. Threadripper as a middle-SKU just spreads the supply too thin.

dies that would make a 32 core TR can be sold as a 32 core Epyc, which will make FAR more money, if their TDP can be modified and efficiency is in-line

If the efficiency is not in-line: those same dies can be sold as two 16/12 core Ryzens, or FOUR 6/8 core Ryzens, which will help alleviate huge demand from the consumer sector.

TR Pro, from what I can see, is AMD's way of releasing something new to the few consumers wanting in HEDT/Prosumer market. I doubt we'll see any other TR products this year.

If we do see it, it will be nearly vaporware.

I kind of agree. In a perfect world with good supply, I'm sure there would be a release.

I thought the same, I was so busy last year I had a TR build ready to go except for chip and then by the time I had time it was so late i figured wait to see what happens. Given availability of other zen 3 chips and just general omnishambles I gave up and just got the 3000 I’d intended. I should have done it 4 months earlier but it’d have just sat in the corner anyway.

At the end of the day if it’s a big jump in performance and worth it for zen 3 then I’ll pay the money. If not then yay. Only downside with the HEDT stuff is resale is so bad, with a 3950x or equivalent I’d only take a little hair cut if I upgraded.

TR is traditionally 6 months behind am4, so I'd expect an announcement in March/April timeframe with release May/June. It may be delayed a bit due to demand/covid etc. but I wouldn't be concerned yet.

TR is traditionally 6 months behind am4, so I'd expect an announcement in March/April timeframe with release May/June. It may be delayed a bit due to demand/covid etc. but I wouldn't be concerned yet.
March/April, so right around when TR Pro is said to come to retail?

Back