AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2000 Packaging

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
It looks as if the new Threadripper packaging has leaked onto the web. Is this real? Who knows. Thanks Videocards.

Check out the pics.

Threadripper 2000 processors will come in a new box, with CPUs hidden behind a translucent window. The CPU emerges from a rocky/polygonal mountain covered in fire. The front opens and uncovers the CPU and a small shelf where all tools, stickers, and manuals are hidden.

If that's real (and it being videocardz its dubious) it looks really cool. I wonder what the unboxing process will be like for that kind of packaging.

seems expensive all that to put a cpu into.......the old days seemed easier, simpler for cpu boxes

Attachments

• AMD_ADA5600CZBOX_Athlon_64_X2_5600_516016.jpg
    AMD_ADA5600CZBOX_Athlon_64_X2_5600_516016.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
This thing has me shakin'. I do a lot of music production and all of those threads... whew... i'm hot man...

That looks more like a box they would send to reviewers

as for me, knock off the cost of that box so I pay less for the CPU :p
I wish we had both. I like seeing that packaging, and this may be the best PC hardware packaging I've ever seen, but whenever stuff is in my cart I always wish there was an option to save $5-15 and get vanilla packaging. Especially if one is purchasing a lot of stuff, the boxes themselves can take up quite a lot of space.

Really, really nice though.

I wish we had both. I like seeing that packaging, and this may be the best PC hardware packaging I've ever seen, but whenever stuff is in my cart I always wish there was an option to save $5-15 and get vanilla packaging. Especially if one is purchasing a lot of stuff, the boxes themselves can take up quite a lot of space.

Really, really nice though.
Sell it on ebay. You know there will be a market for it.

Thats a nice box for supposedly $1500 worth of my money. Just hope whats in the box is at least worth that.

If it is real it does sort of look to be borrowing slightly from the 1080\1080ti FE shroud with those polygon type shapes around the sides.

Honestly not sure what's with the fancy packaging, just a regular ryzen style box would be fine,.

That looks more like a box they would send to reviewers

as for me, knock off the cost of that box so I pay less for the CPU :p

The original thread ripper also had fancy packaging for consumers, though it was a bit funny to open.

Some reviewers had trouble clueing into the fact the spring wires holding the cpu to the plastic had to come off. Some of the unboxings were pretty funny because of that.

Quite an expensive lunchbox.

I'd bring it to work though.

Cmon we all know they are including this so it will end up on some youtubers wall of useless packaging. Some of the channels with the most empty boxes also have the most empty minds when it comes to tech gear lol.

Cmon we all know they are including this so it will end up on some youtubers wall of useless packaging. Some of the channels with the most empty boxes also have the most empty minds when it comes to tech gear lol.

Yes, but also no. Companies do put effort into packaging to show off how much "care" they put into the products. Apple has it's unique packaging and unboxing process, Razer has their own, and so on. How a company presents their products can become a big part of their identity. Having packaging that catches someone's eye and looks "exciting" is just another thing to set them apart from Intel and their "boring" boxes. Look at how much talk was generated from Gen 1 Threadripper's packaging. It's something that has become part of that product and something people will remember when thinking about the chip.

Packaging looks cool to me. However, I doubt very much that the cost of the packaging was factored into the cost of the cpu itself. It costs AMD a few extra dollars to make a package that stands out, the customer is not going to end up paying for that.

Packaging looks cool to me. However, I doubt very much that the cost of the packaging was factored into the cost of the cpu itself. It costs AMD a few extra dollars to make a package that stands out, the customer is not going to end up paying for that.

I can assure you, every penny of the cost of selling the Threadripper product was factored into the msrp.

There is no such thing as a customer not paying for *something*

Also- as someone who works in the packaging industry: that package ain't cheap. Some/most/all is probably from China, and they need huge quantities, which helps with the price point. But it's still an expensive package.

Also-
Packaging is an experience. AMD is smart enough to realize this and capitalize upon it.

Now I want one.

I know a 2990x would be wasted on me and I'd be better off with a 2700x of Zen2 but I still want one.
It wouldn't be wasted on me, but I'm pretty sure it will be beyond my price point. I hope the 2970 comes in there.

Back