AMD Ryzen Initial Shipments to Eclipse One Million

What a great year this is turning out to be!
First Trump elected POTUS and AMD roars back first with POLARIS and now with RYZEN. ;)

It was not that long ago everyone was standing around AMD's grave taking a piss on it saying how much they sucked. :p
I pray RYZEN gets better Poll numbers than Trump

We should not be excited over this because Intel may lower their prices.

We should be excited because now we can buy something that it is not intel.

Screw intel for milking us for the last ten years.

Looking at leaked benches, the 6900 is slower than X1800 when engaging all the cores. And if you are doing core for core, single threaded on a 6900, the X1800 wouldn't be that far behind because the 6900 has to be downclocked as well compared to a 6700K/6600K.

So you're right a price drop is in order. But guess what that does? Yep, create downward pricing pressure on the rest of the lineup. Finally 8 core/16thread chips might be affordable and we might see some decent generational performance increases from Intel now.

What you seem to forget is Ryzen will be competing with Skylake E soon enough Intel its looking at what is going on but they have no need to worry.

I'm exited we finally have some competition after 10+ years and will be building a x1800 rig soon.

Some of the post i've seen are hilariously funny Intel has had 10 years to prepare for this they aren't worried.

Its good to have them going at each other again but the sky is falling posts are well just stupid.

Last edited:
lol yep it's hard to keep your finger away from preorder :) ... I'm glad Ryzen 1800X is out of stock, 'cuz that will keep me away from preorder it. I want to see the real world benchmark first. Also, I may want to wait to see benchmark for Intel Octane memory as well, since they are only compatible with kaby lake or later Intel CPUs.

AMD has so much old debt and new R&D debt for Ryzen they are going to have to sell a whole lot more just to pay the interest on that debt... Not to bash AMD for finally coming around, but financially they are still extremely vulnerable... but take that with a grain of salt since Amazon hardly makes a profit and their stock is in the stratosphere along with the rest of tech these days..

In the mean time, I'll just wait for the reviews, bug fixes, and consider pulling the trigger on the best value play when I get the upgrade itch... At the least, I hope Intel has some massive price drops.

What you seem to forget is Ryzen will be competing with Skylake E soon enough Intel its looking at what is going on but they have no need to worry.

I'm exited we finally have some competition after 10+ years and will be building a x1800 rig soon.

Some of the post i've seen are hilariously funny Intel has had 10 years to prepare for this they aren't worried.

Its good to have them going at each other again but the sky is falling posts are well just stupid.

I dont know that I buy "Intel is ready for this". I certainly think Intel has the resources and capability to release better chips, but lately Intel has been slacking, maximizing short term profit. Do they have a new design they can rollout in the next 18 months? I dont think they do. I dont think Intel will have any large paradigm changes for 24 months at least.

I wouldn't say Polaris was a roaring success.

Yeah, selling out in a lot of places after it's release means it sucks totally right? :cool:
IT is a great mid level card and it is at a great price. That is all it was meant to be. The high end card will be out in a few months. I've been waiting for prices to drop a bit and I'm buying a 8GB RX480. I game at 1080p and that is more than enough card for me. I'm finally ready to retire the trusty old HD7870.

Intel's going to drop prices to be competitive but won't get into a price war. Intel has a lot more to lose. For example if they dropped the 6900 processor to $250 and same down the line, their shareholders would riot since they'd be losing money. Shareholders run the company. They'd also get in trouble with the feds...less so now than in the past but it's still a threat.

AMD would certainly get hurt badly, but still be in a better position than in the past.

Intel doesn't really have a counter for ryzen that won't crush their stock price. I think Intel will drop prices but still carry a premium over Amd as they've done in the past.

I don't know, is that a lot? I'm not familiar with release numbers. But 1 million units for the entire world, including the entire processor lineup doesn't seem that many.

Remember, few people buy CPUs on their own. Very few. We make up a tiny niche of the computer market. Even GPU upgrades are much more common and frequent than CPU. I'd say 1 million is a health number for release. A lot of people never touch their CPU/motherboard, but upgrade their GPU for pre-built PCs to.

Remember, few people buy CPUs on their own. Very few. We make up a tiny niche of the computer market. Even GPU upgrades are much more common and frequent than CPU. I'd say 1 million is a health number for release. A lot of people never touch their CPU/motherboard, but upgrade their GPU for pre-built PCs to.
I assumed the 1 million includes all pre-built systems and oem customers.

The nerd in me says I need one so I can give more CPU cores to VMs, but the adult with a working computer in me says my Jeep needs a new bumper instead.

Hard not to be excited and I can't wait for the reviews.

Just get a 4x4 for a number and use the money you saved for the cpu lol

Wow! Very encouraging news indeed. Remember these are the top of the stack. If the performance leaks are close the midrange 200ish and under Cpus are going to fly off the shelves methinks.

I'm actually looking hard at the 6c 12t chips whenever they hit.

My hope is that this will be the end of the end of the 4 core desktop that we've had for 10 years. 4 core will be the new low end, 6c midrange, 8c high end. For virtual machines and video servers having lots of cores will be great and it's been a long wait. We'll have to see how intel responds and whether Ryzen is stable and lives up to the hype.

I just hope with the availability of affordable multi core chips game/app producers finally start taking advantage of multi core programming for the masses.

I know 1mil sounds like a lot, and it might very well be.

But I want some comparisons.

Bulldozer?
SandyBridge?
Kabylake?

Without a measuring stick we have no idea what to make of this number.

I know 1mil sounds like a lot, and it might very well be.

Without a measuring stick we have no idea what to make of this number.
I always told girls my crank was 10" long, until one of them pointed out that i was measuring from the wrong end of the ruler.

I almost hit the pre order button but the lack of gaming benchmarks is making me wait. I have a feeling that for those of us still on Ivy/Sandy bridge that have been holding out waiting we are going to be disappointed. Single thread performance looks to be below kaby lake, combine that with lower clocks and I don't think the initial launch CPUs are that enticing unless you actually need all those cores for something other than a gaming rig. I may wait for x299 to see what Intel brings to the table later this year.

AMD has so much old debt and new R&D debt for Ryzen they are going to have to sell a whole lot more just to pay the interest on that debt... Not to bash AMD for finally coming around, but financially they are still extremely vulnerable... but take that with a grain of salt since Amazon hardly makes a profit and their stock is in the stratosphere along with the rest of tech these days..

Sidetrack: I will note that Amazon's strategy isn't to "make massive profits in the short term (10 years or less)". It's, quite frankly, to establish a broad-based selling monopoly -- and that is very long term thinking. It's also why a number of big firms (Wal-Mart, and others comparable to it) have noted that Amazon is their Number One competitor. It was no accident, then, that Wal-Mart bought out Jet.com (and no accident, too, that Borders went under, and Barnes & Noble is in huge trouble).

The incredible success of that plan, thus far (under Jeff Bezos, a more polite and law-abiding [if you will] robber baron straight from the Gilded Age of America during the late 1860s-1890s CE) is why so many financial firms are backing Amazon's rise, including most of the oldest and most liquid firms. In ambition, determination, and ruthlessness, Bezos is right up there with Vanderbilt, Morgan, Rockefeller, Carnegie, and their like from the old days.

That's the reason why Amazon, despite barely making a "profit", has so many invested in its continual growth & future, and why it is valued so highly on Wall Street.

I don't pre-order shit, its cool that AMD has gotten a lot of attention for this but to me its all hardware. I will be just fine sitting here waiting for stock to come back in and hopefully some better boards.

I dont know that I buy "Intel is ready for this". I certainly think Intel has the resources and capability to release better chips, but lately Intel has been slacking, maximizing short term profit. Do they have a new design they can rollout in the next 18 months? I dont think they do. I dont think Intel will have any large paradigm changes for 24 months at least.

Did you even read my post :p

They don't need a new design Skylake E or X whatever its called will close the gap that rysen has over boardwell e.

This chip is already on the roadmap.

The only question left after the ryzen launch is what will intel do with its pricing. Historically they usually don't drop prices.

I don't pre-order shit, its cool that AMD has gotten a lot of attention for this but to me its all hardware. I will be just fine sitting here waiting for stock to come back in and hopefully some better boards.

The launch boards, along with the fact I have a 5Ghz all core 3770K, is the reason I didn't preorder a 1700X...I am not a big Asus fan due to the way they treat their customers when it comes to RMA support, but they have 2 of the best boards at launch..I am waiting for some higher end Gigabyte and MSI MPower style boards and to get any teething issues with bios and memory out of the way...

I also feel that if the OC numbers are lukewarm, then AMD will have GF do a respin pretty quickly to get the clocks up, just like the T-bred based Athlons..Just my opinion, but I feel it might happen.

The launch boards, along with the fact I have a 5Ghz all core 3770K, is the reason I didn't preorder a 1700X...I am not a big Asus fan due to the way they treat their customers when it comes to RMA support, but they have 2 of the best boards at launch..I am waiting for some higher end Gigabyte and MSI MPower style boards and to get any teething issues with bios and memory out of the way...

I also feel that if the OC numbers are lukewarm, then AMD will have GF do a respin pretty quickly to get the clocks up, just like the T-bred based Athlons..Just my opinion, but I feel it might happen.

Same, but I may buy prior to respin, I waited for the respin on the Q6600 (having too high of expectations) and got the Q9450, should of just got the Q6600 lol.

I'm also going to wait for EVGA to see if they light a fire under any ones butt, they did a good job with the Z270 boards, I can see them doing it again with the X370.

Same, but I may buy prior to respin, I waited for the respin on the Q6600 (having too high of expectations) and got the Q9450, should of just got the Q6600 lol.

I'm also going to wait for EVGA to see if they light a fire under any ones butt, they did a good job with the Z270 boards, I can see them doing it again with the X370.

I actually had a B3 stepping Q6600 that couldn't reach higher then 3.2Ghz, which I replaced with a G0 based Q6600 that did 3.6Ghz with less voltage :)..I most likely will not end up waiting myself unless the OCs are terrible, like ~4.1Ghz on the "great" chips...I have always been super lucky when it comes to the silicon lottery, so if I see them reaching 4.4Ghz or so on high end water, I will go ahead and grab one as well..

They are cheap enough that if AMD respins them and comes out with a 1900X that clocks 20~25% better, I can always trade up..Really its just the mobo situation that is holding me off for now..I wanna see how the IMC clocks/performs with 32~64GB as I have already made up my mind that I want at least 32GB in my next system.

One wonders if Intel has a "super Kaby Lake" waiting on standby... or if they even really give a shit. IF they do ANYTHING they'll probably just cut retail prices 10%

I actually had a B3 stepping Q6600 that couldn't reach higher then 3.2Ghz, which I replaced with a G0 based Q6600 that did 3.6Ghz with less voltage :)..I most likely will not end up waiting myself unless the OCs are terrible, like ~4.1Ghz on the "great" chips...I have always been super lucky when it comes to the silicon lottery, so if I see them reaching 4.4Ghz or so on high end water, I will go ahead and grab one as well..

They are cheap enough that if AMD respins them and comes out with a 1900X that clocks 20~25% better, I can always trade up..Really its just the mobo situation that is holding me off for now..I wanna see how the IMC clocks/performs with 32~64GB as I have already made up my mind that I want at least 32GB in my next system.

You know, I've been lucky with Intel CPU's as far as OC's go. AMD on the other hand has been dismal for me. My last AMD CPU, a 4250e had a terrible time accepting a 100mhz OC. Hopefully that won't be the case this time around. :D

That's just a wccf clickbait article about some retailers; Intel hasn't actually "responded" to anything. Microcenter's price for example ($299 for 7700k) is the same price its been for a while.

In june 2016 you could get a 6700K for 290 :)

Mindfactory, one of the 9 preorder retailers. ~290 chips sold.

Mindfactory-Ryzen-1000x581.png

Mindfactory, one of the 9 preorder retailers. ~290 chips sold.

Mindfactory-Ryzen-1000x581.png

Ah, I was wondering where I resident AMD hater had gone off too. :D Needed a break and time to regroup, eh? ;) Oh well, In less than 96 hours, I will be driving to the Northeast Ohio Microcenter to pickup my CPU and purchase a motherboard. Of course, I am also going to spend a few hours just looking around and who knows, maybe buy something else if I find something super cheap, like a open box motherboard or something.

One wonders if Intel has a "super Kaby Lake" waiting on standby... or if they even really give a shit. IF they do ANYTHING they'll probably just cut retail prices 10%

One might wonder, but not many else. :D Intel's response, I could not care much less about because ultimately, it does not change what AMD is accomplishing. (Unless, of course, Intel starts doing illegal things again.)

I am an AMD fanboy, and there is no way I would pre-order one of their products unless the reviews were already out. Since they aren't, I can wait a couple of weeks.

Whatever the performance is, it will be faster than what you currently have, so why not pre-order a guaranteed boost in performance?
It's not like Intel where we can shrug our shoulders for three years. For AMD fans, there's some value here.

Whatever the performance is, it will be faster than what you currently have, so why not pre-order a guaranteed boost in performance?
It's not like Intel where we can shrug our shoulders for three years. For AMD fans, there's some value here.

True, but I can wait to make sure there are no major flaws or whatever, and I have been burned by pre-ordering in the past. I want AMD to re-earn my fandom, and honestly my AMD FX still works pretty well.

Back