AMD Ryzen Balanced Power Plan Benchmarked

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Naughty Nathan Kirsch over at Legit Reviews has a great writeup posted on AMD's latest attempt to get Ryzen working better for all of us running its news CPUs. As you might know, Windows has built in power plans, and these do a bit more than you might think when it comes to how your PC works. This new AMD power plan package goes right to the heart of the matter in fixing the issue with parked cores on your Ryzen CPU.

Why does this matter? On Windows 7 the OS keeps all physical cores awake, and parks SMT cores. Those running Windows 10 will find that the OS keeps one physical and one logical core away (Core0+1), then parks the rest as often as possible. This difference alone is what’s responsible for the cases online where some sites and users have said Windows 7 was faster than Windows 10 with regards to gaming performance. It was not the scheduler as the community thought at first. It should also be noted that Intel fully disables core parking in their own custom Balanced power plan. So, the secret sauce with this new power plan is disabling core parking! AMD sent over the following benchmark results that they came up with internally and the results look pretty damn impressive as you can see in the table below.

And the numbers touted by AMD are very much impressive. They show gaming improvements all the way from 3% to 11%! But that is exactly what Legit Reviews is putting to the test. While Nate has not had a lot of time to test, it looks like things are looking up for Ryzen. Now however, this is if you run your system with the Balanced Power Plan. If you run in High Power Plan already, you should see no benefits.

Last edited:
I'd call this more of an efficiency gain since it doesn't exceed the high performance plan settings (which is expected)

Still though its a promising development

keeps one physical and one logical core away (Core0+1)

No that would be 2 logical cores OR one physical cores.
I hate it when people try to divide the numbers of logical cores between physical and logical like one logical core is less of a core than the others...

However this does in facts, confirm exactly what I've been trying to test since the release of Ryzen.

I'd call this more of an efficiency gain since it doesn't exceed the high performance plan settings (which is expected)

Still though its a promising development
Yep, I added a couple of lines to the news post pointing that out.

My system is only on for gaming. Never left on over night. I have it set to high performance mode. Still this is a cool tweak.

I always set all my systems to High Performance anyway, with sleep and hibernate disabled, which is by far the most stable configuration anyway.
Other than for upgrades and maintenance and total rebuilds, none of my systems has been off more than 5 minutes in the last, well, quarter century (probably since about 1991).
Even so, at idle the power usage is generally well under 50W on most of them (my storage server is more like 240W at idle, but that's largely due to hard drives -- but it's not running Windows anyway).
That means that my desktop uses around $3.30/mo and the server uses about $16/mo and the miscellaneous media centers and other boxes around here probably use maybe another $10/mo in aggregate.
So, $30/mo total? And changing to balanced mode might decrease power usage by what? Maybe 1/3 at most? So $10/mo? Why bother?

anyone else get "provisioning failure" when trying to install the balanced power plan?

Back