AMD Ryzen and WC

Wshmaster0

2[H]4U
So I have a box of bitspower fittings, extra D5 pumps, and 2-3 fan rads that were semi-retired (or put away for the time being) after my last build... I've moved over to an easy to manage AIO H100i and lightly OC'ing the 2600K and am running my 980ti on the stock cooler... suits my needs atm.

With current Ryzen builds or people who are early adopters, do you find the need for custom water builds? I realize it has a low overhead for OCing but is there a need for a custom loop? And to answer anyone's question, I do plan to OC it from stock and at this point I'm not locked on any particular model quite yet, but running stock 1800X vs 200-250 in updating my blocks seems like a worthwhile discussion.

So I have a box of bitspower fittings, extra D5 pumps, and 2-3 fan rads that were semi-retired (or put away for the time being) after my last build... I've moved over to an easy to manage AIO H100i and lightly OC'ing the 2600K and am running my 980ti on the stock cooler... suits my needs atm.

With current Ryzen builds or people who are early adopters, do you find the need for custom water builds? I realize it has a low overhead for OCing but is there a need for a custom loop? And to answer anyone's question, I do plan to OC it from stock and at this point I'm not locked on any particular model quite yet, but running stock 1800X vs 200-250 in updating my blocks seems like a worthwhile discussion.

Go read the review that Kyle just posted. I wouldn't see any reason to pay for the 1800X over the 1700, unless you're looking for only 100Mhz extra speed out of the thing. You're not going to get much of an OC, no matter what cooler run, so stick with the simple stuff IMO.

Go read the review that Kyle just posted. I wouldn't see any reason to pay for the 1800X over the 1700, unless you're looking for only 100Mhz extra speed out of the thing. You're not going to get much of an OC, no matter what cooler run, so stick with the simple stuff IMO.

Agreed. If you read the new 1700 vs 1700x article, the conclusion is essentially, if you are planning on overclocking, they will all (1700, 1700x and 1800x) perform the same, so might as well get the cheapest one.

Water isn't necessarily a requirement either, as they appear to hit ~4Ghz on air, and are very difficult to coax above that even with water.

Of course water has other benefits, like keeping things quieter...

Hmm, a part of me was just looking for someone to enable me to buy shiny new blocks and get the ol' D5 up and running again... the H100i lives on. lol.

Tell that to my 12 fans.

I've got 8 140mm and one 120mm industrial Noctua fans in my case. They can wake the dead when turned all the way up to 2000+ RPM, but most of the time I only need them running at ~400rpm and they are damned near silent.

The most I ever turn them up, except when stress testing is to about 50% for a heavy gaming session.

Granted, this is during the winter. Come summer I may need more fan speed (or more AC)

I've got 8 140mm and one 120mm industrial Noctua fans in my case. They can wake the dead when turned all the way up to 2000+ RPM, but most of the time I only need them running at ~400rpm and they are damned near silent.

The most I ever turn them up, except when stress testing is to about 50% for a heavy gaming session.

Granted, this is during the winter. Come summer I may need more fan speed (or more AC)

I have 12 120mm fans right now...6 EK Vardars and 6 Corsair SP120s. I generally keep them around 50%, so they're not really that loud, but they're moving a lot of air. Even at 600-800RPM, it's a nice, comforting "woosh"

Absolutely no need for custom cooling. Running CnQ on my H110 with AM3 bracket on my CH6 Hero.

Back