AMD Ryzen 7 7700X Pictured, Installed On AM5 Motherboard specs/prices

d3athf1sh

[H]ard|Gawd
The AMD Ryzen 7 7700X features 8 cores and 16 threads with a base clock speed of 4.5 GHz and a boost clock speed of 5.4 GHz. The CPU is supposed to have a TDP of 105W and should cost around $480

read all about it here:
https://respawnfirst.com/amd-ryzen-7-7700x-pictured-installed-on-am5-motherboard/

7700.png

This looks pretty nice.

Maybe the stepson will be getting a motherboard/RAM/CPU upgrade this Christmas.

Still, it's a little pricier than I had hoped, but I guess that is the way everything is going these days...

This looks pretty nice.

Maybe the stepson will be getting a motherboard/RAM/CPU upgrade this Christmas.

Still, it's a little pricier than I had hoped, but I guess that is the way everything is going these days...
well at least they're all full sized cores. :)

edit: ooff just saw the (projected) prices of asus's x670 mother boards.. ouch

With the launch date of the B660's around October 10th, I would rather wait for those motherboards. Also, these prices are just place holders. I would wait to see final pricing.

Also, these prices are just place holders. I would wait to see final pricing.

That's true.

For whatever reason (not sure why) these things usually have higher prices outside of the U.S. than they do here.

Probably a combination of taxes being built in to the price in most countries, and lower volumes driving up costs.

Seeing that the source of these price estimates are Canadian, and they have just used the exchange rate to predict U.S. prices, I'm going to go ahead and make an educated guess that these predicted prices probably skew a little bit high. No idea how much though. Probably not significantly so.

Haha the Asus tax is going to carry over from z690 to x670 I'm afraid. Certainly over 1k for their top model, maybe even 1.5K.

That is absolutely insane. Don't get me wrong. I understand inflation, and that there is more shit on board these days, but for christs sake, a high end motherboard used to cost ~$300, and you could get basic ones for under a hundred bucks... Some really basic ones were like $40. (though you probably didn't want those. I bought a $39 Biostar motherboard for a low end Haswell Celeron build once, and lets just say that it wasn't my favorite motherboard of all time)

And this wasn't THAT long ago. We are talking Haswell era here.

Heck, I remember spending $399 for the top of the line Asus P9x79 WS board in 2011 and thinking that was an EXTREME amount of money for a motherboard.

I can't understand what is driving these insane prices. Unlike GPU's and CPU's, motherboards are a market where there is a lot of competition which should be keeping prices reasonable. The fact that it isn't suggests something is amiss.

What the hell is going on with the motherboard market?

Last edited:
That is absolutely insane. Don't get me wrong. I understand inflation, and that there is more shit on board these days, but for christs sake, a high end motherboard used to cost ~$300, and you could get basic ones for under a hundred bucks... Some really basic ones were like $40. (though you probably didn't want those. I bought a $39 Biostar motherboard for a low end Haswell Celeron build once, and lets just say that it wasn't my favorite motherboard of all time)

I can't understand what is driving these insane prices. Unlike GPU's and CPU's, motherboards are a market where there is a lot of competition which should be keepoing prices reasonable. The fact that it isn't suggests something is amiss.
I take back my former post. I just checked and the most expensive Asus is $2k. lol!

Heck, I remember spending $399 for the top of the line Asus P9x79 WS board in 2011 and thinking that was an EXTREME amount of money for a motherboard.

I can't understand what is driving these insane prices. Unlike GPU's and CPU's, motherboards are a market where there is a lot of competition which should be keeping prices reasonable. The fact that it isn't suggests something is amiss.

TSMC charges something like 40% more for their 5nm process than they do their 7nm process so unless the chips are significantly smaller than their 7nm ancestors there is going to be a cost increase of at least that much. The node race is getting expensive and diminishing returns are kicking in.
I am very interested to know if TSMC has sorted out their 3d stacking issues on the 5nm process, last I checked they still didn't have that working in a reliable manner.

TSMC charges something like 40% more for their 5nm process than they do their 7nm process so unless the chips are significantly smaller than their 7nm ancestors there is going to be a cost increase of at least that much. The node race is getting expensive and diminishing returns are kicking in.
I am very interested to know if TSMC has sorted out their 3d stacking issues on the 5nm process, last I checked they still didn't have that working in a reliable manner.
That is true, but how much of the cost of a motherboard is actually tied up in current node chips?

I mean, there is the chipset, and probably some on board audio and networking chips, but those are usually not latest node. Heck, I'd expect most of them to be 12nm or older, as they don't really use much power, and don't benefit much for being on the latest nodes. They are probably mass produced on some cheap older process at GloFo or some place like that.

Seriously, I bought an MSI X399 Creation board (in '18) and that was the most expensive motherboard I had ever purchased at $500. That said, it also had an add-in M.2 PCIe card and every other feature imaginable with sole exception of Thunderbolt 3 (which wasn't a thing for AMD at the time besides).

I'm looking at some of these mid-range AM5 boards and I just don't get it. $500+ for less functionality than the workstation boards we were being sold a couple years ago. Yes - these support PCIe 5.0 and DDR5, but both of those have next to no performance impact at this point. Setting that and AM5 aside, considering features vs the price: most of these boards are priced between $150-250 over a comparable intel or AM4 board of a few years ago. The only substantial positive I'm seeing across the 670 range is support for the actual AM5 CPUs...

That is true, but how much of the cost of a motherboard is actually tied up in current node chips?

I mean, there is the chipset, and probably some on board audio and networking chips, but those are usually not latest node. Heck, I'd expect most of them to be 12nm or older, as they don't really use much power, and don't benefit much for being on the latest nodes. They are probably mass produced on some cheap older process at GloFo or some place like that.
The new boards and all those PCIE4 and 5 tracings are what drive costs up. They are bigger and thicker and require spacing away from certain types of equipment to prevent noise contamination and blah blah blah. And the chipsets do require newer nodes probably 12nm to be able to do what they do and not require active cooling. Then there are the new power requirements and cleaning requirements, the specs on these parts are so tight that they can’t have much voltage variance at all and remain stable. So we get to pay for the better VRM’s capacitors registers and all that jazz. It just drives costs up and with supply how it currently is those parts too are not only more expensive because of them being higher quality but they themselves are more costly to actually make because (gestures at everything).

So basically we’re just stuck with more expensive parts as a whole, then add in the AIB’s liking their new higher margins and we are where we are and it sucks.

I am hoping that next gen we start seeing pcie 5 gpu’s and NVME drives as a standard running on 8 and 2 lanes respectively. A good M.2 drive running on 2 PCIE5 lanes would be as fast as 4 on PCIE4 which is plenty fast for consumer workloads. Same with 8 PCIE5 lanes for a GPU plenty fast there would be hard pressed I think to stress that card. That would go a long ways to cutting down board costs all around but the products for that don’t exist.

Last edited:
I have to reluctantly agree here. Costs are up for manufacturers and why not throw a little more margin on top for good measure. Simply put if pricing is in fact on the higher side it’s because that they can. Price is what the market will bear and all that. I’m apparently getting more frugal in my 4th decade. 😎

Seriously, I bought an MSI X399 Creation board (in '18) and that was the most expensive motherboard I had ever purchased at $500. That said, it also had an add-in M.2 PCIe card and every other feature imaginable with sole exception of Thunderbolt 3 (which wasn't a thing for AMD at the time besides).

I'm looking at some of these mid-range AM5 boards and I just don't get it. $500+ for less functionality than the workstation boards we were being sold a couple years ago. Yes - these support PCIe 5.0 and DDR5, but both of those have next to no performance impact at this point. Setting that and AM5 aside, considering features vs the price: most of these boards are priced between $150-250 over a comparable intel or AM4 board of a few years ago. The only substantial positive I'm seeing across the 670 range is support for the actual AM5 CPUs...
prob why they said they plan on supporting AM4 with parts well beyond the AM5 launch

for all we know this may just be an early adopters tax? especially if they aren't completely destroying intel in performance.

prices have dropped some on the 12th gen intel stuff since launch i believe?

A lot of the issue is that the Company that made PLX switches got bought out and raised prices 100x, so PCI-E lanes became MUCH more of a commodity.

Competition in the Haswell era was non-existant. Intel was just resting on it's throne earning "I'm the only option" tax, chipset features didn't REALLY change at all from Ivy-bridge to rocket-lake. 9 generations, same PCI-E 3.0 lanes.

Then AMD got good again, and intel had to do more than just show up to earn your cash.

PCI-E4 and 5, huge TDPs requiring dual 8-pin EPS on B-series mainboards, USB-C front panel connectors,

Long story short: Competition in the CPU space has created monster chipsets and CPUs which require costly boards to go with them.

That... and $100 10 years ago is $200 today. 10 years ago was Ivy Bridge

That... and $100 10 years ago is $200 today. 10 years ago was Ivy Bridge

That is not quite right. There has been some inflation, but not quite 100% since then.

$100 in 2012 dollars is equivalent to $130.71 in 2022 dollars, per CPI-U.

damn, really?
It sure doesn't seem like it!

Well, CPI-U is a broad average measure of the things an average household buys. Inflation in some sectors is greater than in others, and depending on where you spend your money, you can feel it in different ways, either more or less than the average.

Certainly if you were buying a car, or construction materials, or GPU's in the last couple of years you were more on the high end of the spectrum than the average household.

While CPI is the preferred index for most consumers, there is another measure called PCE which the FED seems to prefer. PCE has had a lower estimate of inflation that CPI recently:

1660784625099.png

I'm a little bit hazy on exactly what goes into PCE compared to CPI, but my understanding is that it bettter captures consumers shifts in what they spend their money on over time. It also covers a wider set of products, compatred to CPI which really tries to represent an "average household"

If you want more stable indeces there are "core inflation" versions of both, which are essentially the same as their respective index, but exclude energy/fuel and food, as those tend to be more volatile.

Well, CPI-U is a broad average measure of the things an average household buys. Inflation in some sectors is greater than in others, and depending on where you spend your money, you can feel it in different ways, either more or less than the average.

Certainly if you were buying a car, or construction materials, or GPU's in the last couple of years you were more on the high end of the spectrum than the average household.

While CPI is the preferred index for most consumers, there is another measure called PCE which the FED seems to prefer. PCE has had a lower estimate of inflation that CPI recently:

View attachment 501788

I'm a little bit hazy on exactly what goes into PCE compared to CPI, but my understanding is that it bettter captures consumers shifts in what they spend their money on over time. It also covers a wider set of products, compatred to CPI which really tries to represent an "average household"

If you want more stable indeces there are "core inflation" versions of both, which are essentially the same as their respective index, but exclude energy/fuel and food, as those tend to be more volatile.
Is this The Indicator or Planet Money or Freakenomics? Just want to know which host I’m supposed to read this as in my head…

The new boards and all those PCIE4 and 5 tracings are what drive costs up. They are bigger and thicker and require spacing away from certain types of equipment to prevent noise contamination and blah blah blah. And the chipsets do require newer nodes probably 12nm to be able to do what they do and not require active cooling. Then there are the new power requirements and cleaning requirements, the specs on these parts are so tight that they can’t have much voltage variance at all and remain stable. So we get to pay for the better VRM’s capacitors registers and all that jazz. It just drives costs up and with supply how it currently is those parts too are not only more expensive because of them being higher quality but they themselves are more costly to actually make because (gestures at everything).

So basically we’re just stuck with more expensive parts as a whole, then add in the AIB’s liking their new higher margins and we are where we are and it sucks.

I am hoping that next gen we start seeing pcie 5 gpu’s and NVME drives as a standard running on 8 and 2 lanes respectively. A good M.2 drive running on 2 PCIE5 lanes would be as fast as 4 on PCIE4 which is plenty fast for consumer workloads. Same with 8 PCIE5 lanes for a GPU plenty fast there would be hard pressed I think to stress that card. That would go a long ways to cutting down board costs all around but the products for that don’t exist.

the manufacturing costs to support faster PCIe standards are a major part of it. I wasn't able to find it the last time I looked, but about a year before the first PCIe4 capable systems became available I read an article predicting that building a full size Mobo to PCIe4 capabiltities across all slots would cost an extra $100 vs PCe3 models to support the much higher tolerneces needed to transmit the signals. That wasn't far off what actually happened.

For PCIe5 the author was estimating a $300 increase both for even higher quality PCB manufacturing and the need for multiple redriver chips to repeatedly fix up the signal as it worked it's way across the board. If these ASUS boards all have multiple 5.0 M.2 slots tucked between the x16 slots (meaning they had to push PCIe5 across most of the board vs Intel Z690 only running it the short distance between the CPU and first PCIe slot) it seems likely the article was on point about largescale use of PCIe5 driving a second major increase in board prices.

Paying $480 for an 8 core CPU in 2022 seems kinda stupid. The 12900K which is currently at $550 is a 16 core CPU that's currently the fastest desktop CPU. The Ryzen 7 5800X is currently $320, and will likely drop a lot more once the 7700X is released. Good luck AMD with that pricing.

Paying $480 for an 8 core CPU in 2022 seems kinda stupid. The 12900K which is currently at $550 is a 16 core CPU that's currently the fastest desktop CPU. The Ryzen 7 5800X is currently $320, and will likely drop a lot more once the 7700X is released. Good luck AMD with that pricing.
Only has 8 P cores though. So performance might be roughly the same as the 7700x.

That is not quite right. There has been some inflation, but not quite 100% since then.

$100 in 2012 dollars is equivalent to $130.71 in 2022 dollars, per CPI-U.
Inflation isn't a universal standard or a standard at all. Housing is currently insane, by looking around in Zillow I've seen pricing drop dramatically, but still not enough to be sane. We're going to have our 2008 moment soon because of this, as a lot of houses have no business being half a million dollars. Banks are giving loans for these insanely priced houses during a recession no less. Food is still higher than the inflation rate, which is currently 8.5% higher than expected. Computer electronics though are dropping fast, and likely to drop to prices that will make industry hurt for many years to come. Inflation is whatever a corperation wants it to be. When they fail and their stocks drop because their quarterly reports are in decline, they begin firing employees, which just causes a cycle of deflation.

Inflation isn't a universal standard or a standard at all. Housing is currently insane, by looking around in Zillow I've seen pricing drop dramatically, but still not enough to be sane. We're going to have our 2008 moment soon because of this, as a lot of houses have no business being half a million dollars. Banks are giving loans for these insanely priced houses during a recession no less. Food is still higher than the inflation rate, which is currently 8.5% higher than expected. Computer electronics though are dropping fast, and likely to drop to prices that will make industry hurt for many years to come. Inflation is whatever a corperation wants it to be. When they fail and their stocks drop because their quarterly reports are in decline, they begin firing employees, which just causes a cycle of deflation.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for me since I own a home) I don't see real estate prices dropping much. They moved down a little with interest rates having gone up, but mortgage rates are already starting to go down again.

This is not 2007/2008. unlike back then, mortgages these days have pretty high standards. (If you haven't applied for a mortgage lately, you wouldn't believe how intrusive the process has become)

Just about everyone who has a mortgage these days has had to extensively prove that they can afford it, at least as long as they don't lose their job, and despite the two quarters of GDP reduction which traditionally signals a recession, the job market is still pretty strong, so it doesn't look like we will have any huge increases in unemployment any time soon. That, and there amy even be signs that we are back in a bull market after a bearish mid-June.

I do feel for younger people who haven't bought into the housing market yet. Many may never be able to, at least in more expensive markets, like around here where a modest starter home built in the 50s is now about $800k.

I just don't see that changing. At least not in more in demand markets.

Anyway, while mentions of inflation were relevant to Motherboard pricing, this has probably veered way off topic, so I am dropping it here.

Last edited:

Yeah, but half of those 16 cores are wimpy cores barely worthy of the name. Honestly those additional small cores are unlikely to help much outside of power management to save power for near idle tasks.

Amazing how quick Intel got people to think of P+E cores as a true core count.

Yeah.

I mean, they can help a little bit with performance. If for instance you have loaded up your P cores to 100%, and a small background task comes along, the E cores can likely handle it without cache thrashing or stealing time away from the heavy duty processes running on the P cores, but this is probably marginal.

The biggest impact will be in lower power use when running near idle tasks on the desktop, like browsing the web, and such.

Last edited:
Yeah.

I mean, they can help a little bit with performance. If for instance you have loaded up your PO cores to 100%, and a small background task comes along, the E cores can likely handle it without cache thrashing or stealing time away from the heavy duty processes running on the P cores, but this is probably marginal.

The biggest impact will be in lower power use when runningnear idle tasks on the desktop, like browsing the web, and such.
I get that part. It's just silly to call them a "16 core cpu" when comparing it to a true 16c/32t cpu.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for me since I own a home) I don't see real estate prices dropping much. They moved down a little with interest rates having gone up, but mortgage rates are already starting to go down again.

This is not 2007/2008. unlike back then, mortgages these days have pretty high standards. (If you haven't applied for a mortgage lately, you wouldn't believe how intrusive the process has become)

Just about everyone who has a mortgage these days has had to extensively prove that they can afford it, at least as long as they don't lose their job, and despite the two quarters of GDP reduction which traditionally signals a recession, the job market is still pretty strong, so it doesn't look like we will have any huge increases in unemployment any time soon. That, and there amy even be signs that we are back in a bull market after a bearish mid-June.

I do feel for younger people who haven't bought into the housing market yet. Many may never be able to, at least in more expensive markets, like around here where a modest starter home built in the 50s is now about $800k.

I just don't see that changing. At least not in more in demand markets.

Anyway, while mentions of inflation were relevant to Motherboard pricing, this has probably veered way off topic, so I am dropping it here.
I bought a house in 2011 for 134K then sold that home in Valparaiso, Indiana in 2019 for 189K, this year, that same home is going for 289K (if it was sold). Even with the uptick, the money I would have made off it if I had sold it today wouldn't have gone as far...

In 2019, I picked up a fixer upper in a nearby town for 138k. Fixed it, paid it off and gonna live in it until I die. However, today it's worth ... 250+K.

Anyone getting into the homes market now, with likely little to no additional income increases, is screwed.

I get that part. It's just silly to call them a "16 core cpu" when comparing it to a true 16c/32t cpu.
Maybe there is a new lawsuit on the horizon that will cite Intel for selling CPUs that really only have 8 cores... Where have I seen one of those lawsuits before...?

Back