AMD Ryzen 1700X $149

Just a small FYI, that's the SKU w/o a HSF in it, if that matters to anyone.

Newegg has this via Ebay as well, and ebay has 8% ebay bucks which would make this $138 :eek:

Man I'm so tempted to pickup another at this price.. just not sure about ryzen and an unraid build.

microcenter has it for the same price. with their mb/cpu deal you can get into the octa core world on the cheap. very very enticing.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/485473/Ryzen_7_1700X_34_GHz_8_Core_AM4_Boxed_Processor

3 bills for the 1700x and asus rog strix x470-f...man thats hard to resist.

Very seriously considering doing exactly this; could order tomorrow and pickup Saturday. It's about time to retire the trusty old 2500k but I'd really rather wait for Zen2. But I can pick up a mobo now and drop in the 1700X as a placeholder (instead of the 2600/2600X) for 12-18 months then go for the Zen2 when it's available.

Very seriously considering doing exactly this; could order tomorrow and pickup Saturday. It's about time to retire the trusty old 2500k but I'd really rather wait for Zen2. But I can pick up a mobo now and drop in the 1700X as a placeholder (instead of the 2600/2600X) for 12-18 months then go for the Zen2 when it's available.

my thoughts exactly.

I paid $290 for mine via Microcenter last August, I'm not even mad. It's an excellent cpu, has been great in my Plex server. This price is rediculous compared to last year, but it's the same price as a 2600 (at Microcenter currently.) You might consider the 2600 instead of this if you aren't looking to do much multi threaded work (most games aren't seeing the benefit of 16 threads) and it comes with a cpu & clocks a little higher by default.

I paid $290 for mine via Microcenter last August, I'm not even mad. It's an excellent cpu, has been great in my Plex server. This price is rediculous compared to last year, but it's the same price as a 2600 (at Microcenter currently.) You might consider the 2600 instead of this if you aren't looking to do much multi threaded work (most games aren't seeing the benefit of 16 threads) and it comes with a cpu & clocks a little higher by default.

Yeah, that's the choice for a short-term cpu: 2600 or 1700X. The 2600 comes with a so-so cooler (wraith stealth) which I think you meant. I do mostly game so the 2600 probably makes more sense, but also want to consider potential resale or uses after it gets replaced by Zen2 (a dedicated plex server sounds handy). Tough choice, probably no wrong answer here for $150.

fantastic chip, fantastic price.

It's time to upgrade for most everyone....RAM prices are down, GPU prices are down. I think this current era offers the most bang for buck you could get in history for a full performance gaming system.
Ryzen 1700x - $150
Motherboard - $50
16GB DDR4 3000 - $120
Vega 64 - $400

< $1000 makes a heck of a gaming machine!

Yeah, that's the choice for a short-term cpu: 2600 or 1700X. The 2600 comes with a so-so cooler (wraith stealth) which I think you meant. I do mostly game so the 2600 probably makes more sense, but also want to consider potential resale or uses after it gets replaced by Zen2 (a dedicated plex server sounds handy). Tough choice, probably no wrong answer here for $150.
Yeah the cooler isn't great. Been running it for the WCG challenge coming up at full tilt since yesterday afternoon at stock, high temp of 80c while all cores clock to 3.6ghz. The case has a 120mm exhaust and two 120mm intakes. If you aren't overclocking, or pushing it to the max 24x7, it gets the job done. By comparison, my 1700x with an old hyper 212 I carried over has seen a max temp of 73c with all cores clocked at 3.5ghz. This case has a 120mm intake and 120mm exhaust. Just for comparison purposes, in case anyone was wondering.

Reactions: bink
like this
Ryzens are quite energy efficient and tend to run on the cool side. Any heatsink intended for an i5 or socket AM3 should work, if you can adapt it to fit AM4.

I'm using an old Swiftech Apogee GT on my 1600x. This block first cooled a C2D E6300 and then was mounted to an i5 2500k. I'm getting lower load temps on the 1600x (about 45C) than I did on the 2500k (closer to 50C).

So, don't let the lack of a cooler with the 1700x be a deterrent. You don't have to break the bank to keep it cool.

WOW! I was really doing some hard thinking at $149 (I have a 5820k) but this $139 price might just push me over the edge. I wanted to build a smaller PC (currently using a Fractal Define R6) with mATX and this CPU, with the $70 ASRock mATX (very highly rated) would only run me $179.98. That's crazy!

ASRock B450M Pro4 and 1700x with tax- $190.78 (DET. MI) thats just sick! sick i say! i was just getting ready to buy another 16gbs of memory for my main rig but then saw this, i think ill be running to microcenter tonight. i cant imagine these will last long.

I got no micro center near me! Why won't they ship every good deal is in store! I'm still running a 1090t.

ASRock B450M Pro4 and 1700x with tax- $190.78 (DET. MI) thats just sick! sick i say! i was just getting ready to buy another 16gbs of memory for my main rig but then saw this, i think ill be running to microcenter tonight. i cant imagine these will last long.
That is just stupid good lol. What a crazy setup for $350 with 16gb of 3200.

Dang, 16GB of DDR4 for $95! I'm loving these memory price drops! I see on Newegg it states Ryzen Memory for that $95 deal. It's DDR4 2400. I always thought Ryzen wanted at least DDR4 3000 or better. Am I wrong? I have a 2600 and 1700X I need RAM for. Thanks!

Dang, 16GB of DDR4 for $95! I'm loving these memory price drops! I see on Newegg it states Ryzen Memory for that $95 deal. It's DDR4 2400. I always thought Ryzen wanted at least DDR4 3000 or better. Am I wrong? I have a 2600 and 1700X I need RAM for. Thanks!

The "AMD Ryzen Memory" tag tells you that the kit will run at the rated speed on a ryzen. I'm using a 3200 CL16 kit that will only run at 3000 CL16 with my 1600x because it is rated to work at 3200 for Intel only. I feel kind of lucky to have it running at 3000. When I first got it it wouldn't come close to that speed. I believe I was getting 2133 and no better, until a bios update gave me a big boost.

Anyway, ryzen CPUs do like faster memory but there is a point of diminishing returns. Something in the 2400/2666 range is going to be about as fast as someone can perceive. Anything faster is only going to make a difference in synthetic benchmarks, and not really in actual use situations. The best way I can explain this is that it is easy to tell the difference between 30 fps and 40 fps, but much harder when we're talking 60 fps and 70 fps. We get to a point where the incremental improvement is not enough for the average user to notice.

Here's a good illustration of the incremental improvements that memory speeds make. Note that at 1080p the game is more CPU bound, whereas at 1440p it becomes GPU bound so there is really no difference at all.
deus-ex-gaming.jpg

Last edited:
Ryzen rated 3000+ is like 2x the price. The few reviews on newegg for this $95 ram show people getting it to 2666+ and higher.

yikes thats quite the price hike! for those looking for decent ddr4 3000 there are a couple of 2x8gb kits in the $100 range at newegg but the timings arent very good. 16-18-18-38 for most.

yikes thats quite the price hike! for those looking for decent ddr4 3000 there are a couple of 2x8gb kits in the $100 range at newegg but the timings arent very good. 16-18-18-38 for most.
Anything that stands out? I'm buying some ram for a 2200g build and was just going to get the 2400 flares at $105. I'm a little nervous buying whatever because my LPX Corsair 3200 wouldn't boot with my R5 2600. At least not at xmp. I didn't try Manual timings.

You can pick ANY motherboard with that 1700x and the discount will come off. Just add the 1700X and motherboard separately and you will be fine. Or, do it in-store. This ASRock is very highly rated. Ignore the few reviews on Micro Center's website:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/509732/b450m-pro4-am4-matx-amd-motherboard

Watch this review:

And as always, don't forget the $5 off coupon!

https://instore.thread.co/retailmen...BPOH32PGDANEM&session=sljQTjdwTU5bf23da2cd017

It doesn't show the discount when I add that board and the 1700x, nor does it show the discount on the board page. I guess you could probably get it in store somehow.

yeah i would print it off and bring it in with you. im sure they will honor it. or maybe not is there a disclaimer about using more than one discount or something?

Terms and Conditions: This coupon offer only valid in-store. For in-store redemption, please print coupon or present coupon on your phone to cashier upon checkout. Coupon cannot be used with other coupons. No coupons available at the store. Coupon is serialized / one time use only. Coupon not redeemable for cash. Limit one per customer/household.

being that the discount on the mb/cpu combo isnt a coupon it should work.

Anything that stands out? I'm buying some ram for a 2200g build and was just going to get the 2400 flares at $105. I'm a little nervous buying whatever because my LPX Corsair 3200 wouldn't boot with my R5 2600. At least not at xmp. I didn't try Manual timings.
this stuff is the cheapest thats supposed to support ryzen
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313778
but again the timings are really sloppy for that speed 16-18-18
after those the price climbs pretty quickly with almost all of them running the same speed and timings
ddr4 3000@ 16-18-18-38.

Last edited:
It says "Save $30 when bundled with a compatible eligible motherboard" so I'm thinking that not all are eligible...

Back