AMD rumoured to be creating consumer oriented 16 Core/32 Thread Ryzen CPU

pencea

Weaksauce

Quote from Overclocker

AMD has a new HEDT platform coming out in a couple of months. You’ll see more of it at Computex I believe. It’s a 16 core /32 Thread, quad channel behemoth. And it is insanely quick in the tests that Ryzen is already excelling at. So Cinebench, and all other related productivity programs. The gaming issues that were causing the Ryzen AM4 CPUs to behave erratically to say the least have been ironed out. It’s akin to a newer revision on a newer platform.

This should be competing with the Xeon and of course 6950X Intel offers for $1700~$1800USD, but at about $1,000 USD if not less for some Skews. Coming soon.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...ating_a_consumer-oriented_16-core_ryzen_cpu/1

SKUs, Stock Keeping units or somesuch.
And, yeah, this looks like LGA package. not AM4.

Last edited:
From the overclock link:

This information comes from ChipHell, stating that AMD has plans to release a new high-end desktop platform (HEDT) within the next couple of months, with a reveal at Computex. This new platform will feature a flagship CPU with 16 cores and 32 threads and sports support for quad-channel DDR4 memory, with the platform sitting in-between AMD's Ryzen/AMD CPU platform and their upcoming Naples Server platform.

This new platform is said to be coming with an X399 socket and an LGA CPU, bridging the gap between traditional desktop CPUs and server platforms.

Public knowledge by now but AMD has a new HEDT platform coming out in a couple of months. You’ll see more of it at Computex I believe. It’s a 16 core /32 Thread, quad channel behemoth. And it is insanely quick in the tests that Ryzen is already excelling at. So Cinebench, and all other related productivity programs. The gaming issues that were causing the Ryzen AM4 CPUs to behave erratically to say the least have been ironed out. It’s akin to a newer revision on a newer platform. This should be competing with the Xeon and of course 6950X Intel offers for $1700~$1800USD, but at about $1,000 USD if not less for some Skews. Coming soon.

CPSs are pretty big physically, about twice the size of surrent 6950X CPUs and a bit more perhaps. And if you were hoping for pins, nope it’s strictly LGA! It’s NOT 8 channel, but Quad.

Will be a splendid competition between X299 and this AMD platform. Skylake-X is pretty good, not revolutionary but a meaningful step up in IPC and the clocks are pretty high as well. If Intel will have a 32 core part to compete on X299 remains to be seen, but the HEDT platform is going to change quite a bit in the next 4 to 6 months.?

When compared to other AMD Zen platforms, this new CPU socket will offer quad-channel memory support and CPUs with up to 16-cores, half of Naples' maximum of 32 cores and 8 channel memory and double that of AMD's Ryzen 1800X which supports up to 8-cores and dual-channel memory.

I guess this people has been living under a rock during last years. Since year 2015 or so we know that AMD prepares three non-mobile Zen platforms: AM4, SP4, and SP3. Naples is SP3 and Summit Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge are AM4. Snowy Owl is SP4. This SP4 platform did target workstations and microservers.

Let us mention the known specs for SP4 platform: single socket; 150W TDP; dual-die socket (MCM2); quad-channel (two channels per die); from 8C/16T up to 16C/32T; 2.4--2.8GHz.

The specs of the old platform look considerably close to the rumors of the new, true? There are two possibilities. Either people is just reporting the old platform. Or the old SP4 platform is being rebranded as X399 for enthusiast desktop. But if the second possibility is the correct one has to ask why it doesn't appear in the official roadmaps.

Last edited:
From the overclock link:

I guess this people has been living under a rock during last years. Since year 2015 or so we know that AMD prepares three non-mobile Zen platforms: AM4, SP4, and SP3. Naples is SP3 and Summit Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge are AM4. Snowy Owl is SP4. This SP4 platform did target workstations and microservers.

Let us mention the known specs for SP4 platform: single socket; 150W TDP; dual-die socket (MCM2); quad-channel (two channels per die); from 8C/16T up to 16C/32T; 2.4--2.8GHz.

The specs of the old platform look considerably close to the rumors of the new, true? There are two possibilities. Either people is just reporting the old platform. Or the old SP4 platform is being rebranded as X399 for enthusiast desktop. But if the second possibility is the correct one has to ask why it doesn't appear in the official roadmaps.

it is number 2, source confirmed it and it is a genuine HEDT platform, ther 1800X was really just the i7 7700K equivilant to the the AM4 socket, these chips are the alpha chips and platform. The top end part is expected to retail at just under 1K

it is number 2, source confirmed it and it is a genuine HEDT platform, ther 1800X was really just the i7 7700K equivilant to the the AM4 socket, these chips are the alpha chips and platform. The top end part is expected to retail at just under 1K
Am I correctly understanding what you're trying to imply? >_>

That this 16C/32T part is going to come on AM4; thus, AM4 as a platform has Quad-Channel support baked in; thus, I won't need a special AM4 motherboard?

Cuz that sounds crazy in that I can't imagine AM4 being supportive of 16C/32T, nevermind quad-channel.

However, as I've stated over and over, I'm no electronics engineer nor do I pretend to be, and as such I see things very differently than someone who is "in the know" about this stuff...

Am I correctly understanding what you're trying to imply? >_>

That this 16C/32T part is going to come on AM4; thus, AM4 as a platform has Quad-Channel support baked in; thus, I won't need a special AM4 motherboard?

Cuz that sounds crazy in that I can't imagine AM4 being supportive of 16C/32T, nevermind quad-channel.

However, as I've stated over and over, I'm no electronics engineer nor do I pretend to be, and as such I see things very differently than someone who is "in the know" about this stuff...

Unfortunately no, these new CPU's will not work at all on AM4, for one they don't use pins but rather landgrid array like Intel and they have much bigger diodes so AM4 will not work with them, and visa versa

it may be a consumer oriented opteron for single socket workstations but not the AM4 platform for the reasons others have mentioned.

Therefore your source confirms that the server plans failed, that customers are rejecting the SP4 platform and that AMD is re-branding it for desktop usage.

Funny that you claim now that the R7-1800X is the equivalent of the i7-7700k. I only can say "LOL" at this attempt to rewrite the history.

6bv9kJn.jpg

1K is just the expected cost, considering that this SP4/X399 platform uses two dies of about $500 each. This platform will shine in throughput workloads like rendering and encoding that run better on a GPU, but it will be a turd on gaming or any other latency sensitive workload due to a combination of very low clocks and huge die-die latency.

Therefore your source confirms that the server plans failed, that customers are rejecting the SP4 platform and that AMD is re-branding it for desktop usage.

Funny that you claim now that the R7-1800X is the equivalent of the i7-7700k. I only can say "LOL" at this attempt to rewrite the history.

6bv9kJn.jpg

1K is just the expected cost, considering that this SP4/X399 platform uses two dies of about $500 each. This platform will shine in throughput workloads like rendering and encoding that run better on a GPU, but it will be a turd on gaming or any other latency sensitive workload due to a combination of very low clocks and huge die-die latency.
He didn't say its equivalent but its equivalent in the top CPU on THAT platform therefore these will be on ANOTHER platform.. English man, English.

6bv9kJn.jpg

Oh hey look, you are crapping on AMD. Thats new and different.

Unfortunately no, these new CPU's will not work at all on AM4, for one they don't use pins but rather landgrid array like Intel and they have much bigger diodes so AM4 will not work with them, and visa versa
Alright good lol I was worried that you were crazy. I personally could only see them using LGA again on their server/workstation platforms like like they did with G34/C32 (and the 1207 pin LGA they were based on).

I also assume 'diodes' mean 'die'? As yea, they'd no doubt be MCM-sized again. With Ryzen I don't know if they actually need to use the MCM method, though. I kinda feel that was the entire point behind them making the 8C/16T Zeppelin core modules, to keep a single die with more cores packed into it. Though the substrate would of course need to be larger to accommodate the larger die, so as such the end CPU package will no doubt look just like past MCM Opterons.

In the end I hope we do get a Workstation oriented Naples. Or if anything that the Naples server chip kicks enough ass that motherboard makers will just say "Eff this, we're making some badass single-socket Naples motherboards!!" :D

Luckily, Computex is only 2-3 months away.

6bv9kJn.jpg

This was actually quite comical, you managed to take something completely out of context and spin it off like you do best, creating your own fiction as you go along.

1) Like i7 7700K ie: AM4 = 1151/1150, mainstream platform.

2) I don't know how you derived from this that SP4 is a failed platform and that they are spining off server chips as HEDT, in case you have forgotton Intel do the same with all their LGA 2011 chips, recycling server chips and selling them as HEDT, but of course it is unlike you to paint two things with the same brush.

3) I am prepared to wait for performance determinations, if anything learned not to take your "opinion" to seriously, most of it is after the fact, the before the fact "predictions" missed so badly, I would be surprised if you hit water falling out a boat.

Quote from Overclocker

AMD has a new HEDT platform coming out in a couple of months. You’ll see more of it at Computex I believe. It’s a 16 core /32 Thread, quad channel behemoth. And it is insanely quick in the tests that Ryzen is already excelling at. So Cinebench, and all other related productivity programs. The gaming issues that were causing the Ryzen AM4 CPUs to behave erratically to say the least have been ironed out. It’s akin to a newer revision on a newer platform.

This should be competing with the Xeon and of course 6950X Intel offers for $1700~$1800USD, but at about $1,000 USD if not less for some Skews. Coming soon.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...ating_a_consumer-oriented_16-core_ryzen_cpu/1
In other news, loses to pentium 4 in single threaded and gaming performance.

I really REALLY hope AMD releases a single socket Naples platform. Been rocking 2/3 Intel HEDT platforms with Xeons and i'm used to the higher flexibility, performance and e-peen. Maybe what Ryzen needs is a quad-channel memory controller to really shine?

I'm surprised AMD is releasing this so soon. I hope that doesn't mean the platform is a turd?

It seems very reasonable to have dual die, Quad Channel memory solution. This rumor might only be Guess, but it is a reasonable one. Except calling it "consumer" oriented. That is nonsense. You need a Very specific workload for all those cores, almost certainly involved in paying work.

It isn't that hard to to do. AMD just uses:

One CPU dies and dual channel memory for AM4: Consumers
Two CPU dies and Quad Channel memory for X399 (or whatever it is called): HEDT or small servers.
Four CPU dies and Oct Channel memory for Naples: Servers.

The beauty is that it's all the Same exact die, so it reduces AMDs development costs.

Everything form 4 Core (though AMD would prefer you skip those) low end conumer parts to huge 32 Core parts all built from the same die.

I would have a harder time believing such an obvious move wouldn't happen. It is just a logical niche to fill.

Though completely irrelevant to most of us. I have a hard time justifying even going for 8 cores.

Last edited:
It seems very reasonable to have dual die, Quad Channel memory solution. This rumor might only be Guess, but it is a reasonable one. Except calling it "consumer" oriented. That is nonsense. You need a Very specific workload for all those cores, almost certainly involved in paying work.

It isn't that hard to to do. AMD just uses:

One CPU dies and dual channel memory for AM4: Consumers
Two CPU dies and Quad Channel memory for X399 (or whatever it is called): HEDT or small servers.
Four CPU dies and Oct Channel memory for Naples: Servers.

The beauty is that it's all the Same exact die, so it reduces AMDs development costs.

Everything form 4 Core (though AMD would prefer you skip those) low end conumer parts to huge 32 Core parts all built from the same die.

I would have a harder time believing such an obvious move wouldn't happen. It is just a logical niche to fill.

Though completely irrelevant to most of us. I have a hard time justifying even going for 8 cores.

I don't see it being a dual socket.

If this comes with only 40 PCIe lanes I'll be pretty disappointed. I have a feeling it will be 32 + (2) 4x dedicated to the m.2.

Are we thinking multichip package? It looks like you could improve yield backend that way.

I would bet that is what they are doing for Naples(it's what they did for higher core counts on Opterons), so they would certainly do the same for something in between.

Are we thinking multichip package? It looks like you could improve yield backend that way.

the 16/32 is 2 8/16 dies the 32/64 is 4 8/16 dies..

If this comes with only 40 PCIe lanes I'll be pretty disappointed. I have a feeling it will be 32 + (2) 4x dedicated to the m.2.

since it's an opteron it still needs to support dual sockets and if you assume they'll use the 50/50 config that the 32/64 naples uses it would be 64 total pci-e lanes with 32 reserved for the second socket and 32 for everything else.

Last edited:

6bv9kJn.jpg

How do you know it was failed and rejected? Maybe amd thought naples is a better fit there and this could be transitioned in to upper end workload monster for desktop?

Do you have inside information that No one else has? Or you just get personal satisfaction from attaching fail next to AMD.

Get real and stay subjective and back up your amd accusations with proof.

Oh and I am tired of this crap about shit running in GPUs. If everythjg was running on GPU what's the point of intel having a 10 core desktop chip? Like I said that statement goes both ways so let's not forget that. If there is a place for Intel $1700 dollar chip there will be a place for amd 16 core chip for $1000.

the 16/32 is 2 8/16 dies the 32/64 is 4 8/16 dies..

since it's an opteron it still needs to support dual sockets and if you assume they'll use the 50/50 config that the 32/64 naples uses it would be 64 total pci-e lanes with 32 reserved for the second socket and 32 for everything else.
I'm talking about the proposed/rumored HEDT platform in the op, not a dual packaged Opteron in a server platform.

In other news, loses to pentium 4 in single threaded and gaming performance.
Say whaaaat? That is only valid if we are talking about the same clock speed. In which case I very much doubt it. Lol

How do you know it was failed and rejected? Maybe amd thought naples is a better fit there and this could be transitioned in to upper end workload monster for desktop?

Do you have inside information that No one else has? Or you just get personal satisfaction from attaching fail next to AMD.

Get real and stay subjective and back up your amd accusations with proof.

Oh and I am tired of this crap about shit running in GPUs. If everythjg was running on GPU what's the point of intel having a 10 core desktop chip? Like I said that statement goes both ways so let's not forget that. If there is a place for Intel $1700 dollar chip there will be a place for amd 16 core chip for $1000.

There's a place for this platform and some people will buy it. At the present time the memory support looks too small for myself and others like me, but a single socket Naples will fix that.

If Guano were correct, the top tier mainboard makers wouldn't have suddenly shifted their priorities to making new boards that fit this HEDT scope and the Naples platform as well. But they are. They want a piece of this and they'll get it. At this point, limited support from AMD simply due to having thin resources is going to hurt them , possibly a lot.

If I had any fear, it would be pressure from Intel on the system board makers to tone things down on these efforts. There's no evidence of this at the moment, but if it becomes severe enough they will bring the drama. Fines are cheaper than market share loss - that's just good business. You don't need to be psychic to predict this, you just need to be able to count. Money I mean.

This is all very entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NKD
like this
I'm talking about the proposed/rumored HEDT platform in the op, not a dual packaged Opteron in a server platform.

Would they really be different? Server or HEDT is just semantics.

If AMD makes 16 Core product, it will likely just be an MCM pacakge with 2 8 core dies.

Would they really be different? Server or HEDT is just semantics.

If AMD makes 16 Core product, it will likely just be an MCM pacakge with 2 8 core dies.
Yes, the op is talking about a personal device which will most likely have a consumer chipset which limits what type of CPU and how many you have.

If it is just 2 8cores then it won't be competitive against the new Intel chipset coming out at the end of the year.

Yes, the op is talking about a personal device which will most likely have a consumer chipset which limits what type of CPU and how many you have.

If it is just 2 8cores then it won't be competitive against the new Intel chipset coming out at the end of the year.

Genuinely interested and curious about this, source?

Back