AMD raytracing techdemo

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
With the release of DX12 ultimate, AMD released a tech demo.

No info on what its running on, but big navi comes to mind

I hope its an early alpha, cause it kind of sucks. Not impressed at all. Also seems to be running at a low framerate.

Those are some embarrassing framerates for RDNA 2, looks like it barely hits 30 fps and sometimes dips below. Seems even Turing has nothing to worry about let alone Ampere if this is an indicator of their RT performance.

Considering that DX12 Ultimate won't even be released for Windows 10 until the next major windows feature update (20H1 iirc), anything prior to that has to be alpha/beta or potentially proprietary.

Considering that DX12 Ultimate won't even be released for Windows 10 until the next major windows feature update (20H1 iirc), anything prior to that has to be alpha/beta or potentially proprietary.
I guess that means we won't be seeing RDNA2 much earlier than that.

I just watched it again on my 50" TV and it looks even worse LoL, I watched it first on my cell.

If this is what AMD RT has to offer, nvidia has nothing to worry about.

I think all those people thinking big navi was going to bring better DXR than nVidia are gonna be eating crow later this year. We all know who's the best:

The lyrics to that song were made for this thread.

I read somewhere than the vulkan implementation is based on nvidia RTX.
It is an extension written by Nvidia. The same is true for many extensions. Nothing is stopping AMD from doing their implementation in Vulkan. This is pretty common since opengl extensions be existed:. You have to test somewhere and vulkan / opengl support vendor specific extensions, very common for features to show up there first and would be surprised if AMD didn't start there for their implementation. Since they created mantle which vulkan is based on (literally you could do a search replace for mantle/vulkan and your app would just about run) they have no reason to wait for Microsoft.

Right, I told people lusting after Big Navi no to get their hopes up - hardware support for RT can vary from two different implementation by Nvidia: The Volta/small Turing cores.(int + FP operation per-clock) let's the 1660 Ti exceed the 1080 Ti in most RTX games, and let' s Volta perform pretty well without the dedicated RT units! And then you have RT dedicated units - the big difference markers!

Just looking at this, it sounds closer to the Volta implementation - should be playable if you throw enough compute units at the problem, but it's going to get rolled by dedicated RT units. This is probably early driver running on an early test chip, so I'd expect performance to diouble to quadruple before release. But the best it will likely compete with i the RTX 2060 Supper.

Last edited:
It is an extension written by Nvidia. The same is true for many extensions. Nothing is stopping AMD from doing their implementation in Vulkan. This is pretty common since opengl extensions be existed:. You have to test somewhere and vulkan / opengl support vendor specific extensions, very common for features to show up there first and would be surprised if AMD didn't start there for their implementation. Since they created mantle which vulkan is based on (literally you could do a search replace for mantle/vulkan and your app would just about run) they have no reason to wait for Microsoft.
There are the nvidia extensions for vulkan, which are used for Wolfenstein.

But the kronos group released official support for RT wether its based on rtx is irrelevant as long as AMD complies with the standard.

Take this as you will, but I just took numbers from the Turing white paper and the Digital foundry article. Not sure if the RT performance numbers are comparable?

1584726432656.jpeg

There are the nvidia extensions for vulkan, which are used for Wolfenstein.

But the kronos group released official support for RT wether its based on rtx is irrelevant as long as AMD complies with the standard.
Yes, the official cross platform has been officially released. It's based on RTX with a few (minor) tweaks that can now be implemented by anyone. This was my original point; they don't have to wait for M$ for anything. And they could even implement the current DXR if they do desired as well.

why would AMD release a tech video that makes them look bad...makes no sense...

Because they are still working on it and wanted to show that they are capable of doing it. I seriously doubt they were just trying to be honest in where they were in their implementation and saying they aren't there yet. This is probably the best they can do. NVIDIA is going to be on top for a while with RT.

It does look very slow and not that great of a demo. At least they are trying, but they are way behind in the game. They need to have something that overtakes NVIDIA, not showing that you're still trailing quite a bit.

Because they are still working on it and wanted to show that they are capable of doing it. I seriously doubt they were just trying to be honest in where they were in their implementation and saying they aren't there yet. This is probably the best they can do. NVIDIA is going to be on top for a while with RT.

It does look very slow and not that great of a demo. At least they are trying, but they are way behind in the game. They need to have something that overtakes NVIDIA, not showing that you're still trailing quite a bit.
It looks like it performs like a GTX1080Ti did on the SW Refletion demo at low res. Nowhere near the IQ though.

We've seen plenty of halfassed RT demo's before, I'm gonna give AMD a pass on this one and assume that by launch it will be a decent implementation.

Really more concerned 'bout drivers at launch lol.

demo blah. . . Nvidia killer . . . make Nvidia laugh so hard they keel over and die. . .

Not enough information with that short demo, hell the Crytek demo was much better, smoother and on non RT hardware . . . WTF!

I’ll wait until they launch the card, actually a few months after, to judge it.

I have to say though... they missed a huge opportunity to have a reflection of Ruby’s ass in the shower, or similar. Sooo many better things they could have done.

I’ll wait until they launch the card, actually a few months after, to judge it.

I have to say though... they missed a huge opportunity to have a reflection of Ruby’s ass in the shower, or similar. Sooo many better things they could have done.
Now that would have been genius, no we see a shinny robot ass instead! AMD!!!

I gotta say over the years I"ve been much more impressed by nvidia demos than ATI/AMD.

I recall the wolfman demo, dawn (nude dawn :D:D), Luna, human head and many more.

Reminds me of Crysis in tech as to need the bleeding edge means we just ain't there yet .

I'm happy to see AMD release something, shows at least they are working on it, but it was a bad show.

Besides the art being lackluster, and I mean it was pretty shabby, the framerate and resolution don't even look good.

Yeah, bringing back Ruby would be awesome, but I feel like companies are too shy for that now, and the old Ruby demos don't even work anymore (unlike Nvidia, you can still run Nalu, Dawn Nude Mod, Adrianne Curry, etc.).

And the Crytek demo looked WAY better, and that wasn't even using RT hardware. AMD better come correct.

Those are some embarrassing framerates for RDNA 2, looks like it barely hits 30 fps and sometimes dips below. Seems even Turing has nothing to worry about let alone Ampere if this is an indicator of their RT performance.

None of what you said makes any sense. How can you use this promotional video to determine performance, let alone draw final conclusions, is beyond me. Garbage post is garbage. Maybe it's time to ignore you again.

None of what you said makes any sense. How can you use this promotional video to determine performance, let alone draw final conclusions, is beyond me. Garbage post is garbage. Maybe it's time to ignore you again.

A promotional video (Anything Promotional really) should aim for the highest possible positive impression.

When it does not, negative speculations arise.

Last edited:
A promotional video (Anything Promotional really) should aim for the highest possible positive impression.

When it does not, negative speculations arise.

the way things are going right now any news is positive.. pretty much all the tech demo shows are cancelled, product releases are going to be delayed 3-6 months beyond when they were planning on releasing.. so just being relevant in the news is good enough. also wouldn't be surprised if this was pushed by microsoft behind the scene's to show off dx12 ultimate even though it's still not ready.. dx12 ultimate most likely won't release until around the new xbox launch.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Take this as you will, but I just took numbers from the Turing white paper and the Digital foundry article. Not sure if the RT performance numbers are comparable?

View attachment 231672

Need huge grain of salt for that.

The TOPS numbers for NVidia are from the Tensor cores, so of course are higher, since AMD is not expected to have any Tensor cores.

The RT Perf numbers from AMD, seem to indicate that there is no dedicated RT cores, which seems a little more than unlikely.

RT type cores are not rocket science. AMD will have dedicated RT core equivalents, and IMO they will be of similar capability of Turing RT cores. AMD obviously had Turing the benchmark and will not want to lag significantly.

We won't have much idea about Big Navi until we see some comparative benchmarks...

the way things are going right now any news is positive.. pretty much all the tech demo shows are cancelled, product releases are going to be delayed 3-6 months beyond when they were planning on releasing.. so just being relevant in the news is good enough. also wouldn't be surprised if this was pushed by microsoft behind the scene's to show off dx12 ultimate even though it's still not ready.. dx12 ultimate most likely won't release until around the new xbox launch.
It is available on the insider build of Win 10 now.
It will be released with Windows 10 20H1 later this year.

It is available on the insider build of Win 10 now.
It will be released with Windows 10 20H1 later this year.
know how to check that? dxdiag just says "directx 12" on my up to date insider build.

Problem is this also makes Nvidia look better.

Forcing your opponent to move when they are not ready is as Sun-Tzu as it gets.
I don't think it would have hurt AMD at all to do nothing at this stage, and just let Microsoft drum up the DX12U hype on their own for a while.

Need huge grain of salt for that.

The TOPS numbers for NVidia are from the Tensor cores, so of course are higher, since AMD is not expected to have any Tensor cores.

The RT Perf numbers from AMD, seem to indicate that there is no dedicated RT cores, which seems a little more than unlikely.

RT type cores are not rocket science. AMD will have dedicated RT core equivalents, and IMO they will be of similar capability of Turing RT cores. AMD obviously had Turing the benchmark and will not want to lag significantly.

We won't have much idea about Big Navi until we see some comparative benchmarks...

Correct. Digital Foundry stated there are no Tensor Core equivalents, which also means in order to perform INT8/4 operations it has to use the SPs to do so, meaning it will take SPs away from doing FP32/INT32 operations. Same goes for the stated combined 25 TFLOPs of RT performance. DF said the dedicated RT hardware is capable of 13 TFLOPs, but when you add that together with the FP32 perf you get 25 TFLOPs. Games that are hybrid rendered won’t be using 25 TLOPs for RT only, but more than likely 13 TFLOPs as the 12 TFLOPs will be used for rasterization as well as aiding the RT cores with BVH.

Anyhow, one benefit the Xbox will have is that devs will be able to bypass DXR and get closer to the metal when utilizing RT, per DF.

Last edited:
Back