AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 versus AMD Radeon R9 Fury @ [H]

I have a 2x R9 Fury X in cross fire and a 3440x1440 freesync monitor. Do I upgrade to Vega 56/64 or wait for the next cycle?
Perhaps wait for the next cycle - or until prices drop due to Volta. I should have. My Fury X pair were painfree. You probably aren't running into limits on anything are you at your res.

I've got some quirks with the Vega they'll have to iron out in drivers. A hardware acceleration bug with chrome, a bezel correction bug with eyefinity, and frankly my AAA games, for the most part run slower on a single Vega liquid cooled, than my pair of Fury X. (Exception being when I bumped up against the 4GB RAM limit on the pair of Fury X, which happened at ultra settings on my 7680x1440 res).

I sold my Fury X pair on eBay for $135 less than the $810 Vega cost me. I'm having a wee bit of regret. I'm sure they'll get the new GPU kinks worked out given some time, so I'm sitting tight - not like I'd reverse course and buy back two Fury X, but at this particular junction it feels like a downgraded experience. I'm not very willing to spend another $800 on Vega for crossfire at this moment, but I might spend $300 or $400 more for a second card in the future to crossfire. (if crossfire on Vega was working). I have a pair of Vega 56 I bought to mine with. I might try those when they get the crossfire profile working.

Ultimately my experience with Crossfired Fury X for the last 7 months was absolutely flawless. Vegas drivers aren't to flawless status right now. If you wait a little while, prices might trend back to MSRP, and driver bugs should be ironed out. Win/Win. If you wait a year I bet you might see some $300 Vega cards (like we did with Fury)

Last edited:
I have a 2x R9 Fury X in cross fire and a 3440x1440 freesync monitor. Do I upgrade to Vega 56/64 or wait for the next cycle?

The 56 with the 64 bios is a winner... and the next cycle is gonna be a long ways off.

Really?????? Where do you live? Newegg has them listed at $399 for the card alone and the prices have NOT gone up.

They are all out of stock at Newegg. The listed prices haven't gone up, but you can't buy them.

They are all out of stock at Newegg. The listed prices haven't gone up, but you can't buy them.

I agree, you cannot buy them easily but, I think the person I quoted was insinuating that the prices are not $399, not that you could not easily buy them.

Perhaps the most talented engineers went to work on Zen instead?

I think they run out of money, as well as i'm sure I read a while ago that they had lost a lot of GPU talent to Apple a year or so ago.

Back