AMD Radeon RX 480 Supplies at Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
If AMD's strategy of selling lots of mainstream cards is to come to pass, that 8000 for NA should have been 80000 or more. Selling low-margin works well only if you're selling a shedload of them...

When was the last time you have seen ANY GPU launch where there was anywhere enough to go around the first day? How about the first month?

When was the last time you have seen ANY GPU launch where there was anywhere enough to go around the first day? How about the first month?

It's more about having a limited time window to get those cards sold before people get tired of waiting or the competition steps in.

The Titan Z launch.

HAHAHAHAHA. Not sure if a $3000 video card should qualify. How many people actually shell out for a "gaming" video card that costs that much?

Guess I should have qualified the question with "affordable"

Reactions: NKD
like this
It's more about having a limited time window to get those cards sold before people get tired of waiting or the competition steps in.

Exactly - I just need a gap card this year, and that originally was the 1070, but the pricing has been much higher than expected. Enter the RX480's time-to-shine.

9700, 9800, x800, x1800, x1900. All of them were faster or tied, ATi had many cards that went up against nV well. It wasn't till AMD bought them they fell off the top end, saving grace was the 4xxx line but that a combination of things that helped it, nV's poor showing of the 2xx line from a power perspective and price
I stand corrected.

Yeah family in UK had the same issues, that sux.
The last one was incredible.

They sold me a new TV that wasnt even in the box for that TV, it was another TVs box.
It had paint on it as well !!
The box was wrapped in bin liners to hold it together and it didnt work properly, the HDMI image didnt fill the screen, it was compressed about 1/3 left to right.

When I tried to get it returned I was met with a brick wall of no response, lies about when they would contact me or rubbish excuses.
I had to threaten legal action in the end. That finally got a result.
They didnt refund the delivery charges until I ball ached them again. That alone took 3 weeks and another threat.

That took 1.5 months and a lot of effort to sort out.
Thorough waste of my time and sanity.

OCUK cannot be trusted.

Gibbo has already stated, "You won't get quantities, pricing, specs or benchmarks out of me, they are break NDA rules, so stop asking."

I saw a stack of MSI 1080s when I was in Fry's on Friday. The fact that they were MSI and that they were 1080s meant that I wasn't touching them. :)

I don't think Kyle is getting the most reliable rumors on AMD stuff these days, in fact I wonder if hes getting fed bad info on purpose. Guess will know on launch day if AMD actually had a good supply of cards or not.

I don't think Kyle is getting the most reliable rumors on AMD stuff these days, in fact I wonder if hes getting fed bad info on purpose. Guess will know on launch day if AMD actually had a good supply of cards or not.

If thats true I bet he wants to find out as much as any of us. But for now he has to post what he believes is reliable. You may be right that or that 8k number might just be whats out to retailers now and I am sure they are still ramping up because it looks like reports of good stock is everywhere. Even he things it will be good on going availability because this is still more than any of the previous launches. So he didn't necessarily post it as a negative.

AMD is smartly delivering a strong product to the segment that matters. Whole a lot of us would like to believe that a majority of the cards sold are high end, it's simply not true. Also letting stock build up before launch was smart (8000 Pft) otherwise we would be seeing another sweet pascal launch, yay!

If thats true I bet he wants to find out as much as any of us. But for now he has to post what he believes is reliable. You may be right that or that 8k number might just be whats out to retailers now and I am sure they are still ramping up because it looks like reports of good stock is everywhere. Even he things it will be good on going availability because this is still more than any of the previous launches. So he didn't necessarily post it as a negative.
8000 number was total BS sarcastic anti AMD rhetoric and we all know it. 8000 of these will be sold in 1 second.

Well, I'm in the market.
I'm tempted to wait and see what I can buy first - a 480 at MSRP or a 1070 at MSRP.
First one available gets my dollars. (yes, I know they're not equivalent cards)

Re: Fastest card - I remember ordering a Genuine Built by ATI 9800XT from ATI Canada (straight from their website).
I remember when that thing came in - I just held it in my hands for a while. I was so happy.

Those were the days :(

Reactions: NKD
like this
Its pathetic that Kyle has stooped to this level. Maybe he has a lot of time to kill now that AMD is not likely to sample him with a Rx 480 for launch day review. He does not have any facts to back up his 8000 number. Anyway gibbo of ocuk states ample supply.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199 - Page 158 - Overclockers UK Forums

Anyway we will know soon who was right. The hot and loud running rubbish which Kyle spewed is already being disproved by online leaks that show the card running cool and quiet.

Overclockers UK Forums - View Single Post - Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

gibbo's comment states AMD got the cooler spot on. cool and quiet.

Good to see you read the article, he stated hot, never stated anything about the cooler or it being load..........

8000 in one country is a decent supply that's fairly typical for "hard launch"

If you think that is low the highest launch card availability was 50k world wide for the 8800gt. Which was 2.5 times more than typical.

Its pathetic that Kyle has stooped to this level. Maybe he has a lot of time to kill now that AMD is not likely to sample him with a Rx 480 for launch day review. He does not have any facts to back up his 8000 number. Anyway gibbo of ocuk states ample supply.

Anyway we will know soon who was right. The hot and loud running rubbish which Kyle spewed is already being disproved by online leaks that show the card running cool and quiet.

Overclockers UK Forums - View Single Post - Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

What about the leaks that show it topping out at 1340mhz and exhaust air temp at 70c

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Not to mention that kyle was talking about the US and Gibbo at OCUK, believe it or not, is not talking about the US. Since the UK is 10x smaller, maybe ample supply is 500 units to him lol

Guess you miss the news that Brent is getting a 480.

Not to mention that kyle was talking about the US and Gibbo at OCUK, believe it or not, is not talking about the US. Since the UK is 10x smaller, maybe ample supply is 500 units to him lol

Kyle is just bluffing without any facts to back his statements. Where did he get that 8000 number from ? He surely did not get it from AMD. So did he do a survey of all the retailers in the US who sell graphics cards and asked them on their launch day stock. Did he speak to all of AMD AIBs and get the total number. Right now he is just making a fool of himself. If only he could just stop writing such rubbish and focus on reviewing PC hardware in a professional manner.

8k is not low by any means. Ofcourse it might be higher until we get to the 29th. That's a rough number for now. AIBs are happy with stock so that tells you supply is good, now we know all AIBs want non reference cards more than reference since there is more money to be made here. As Kyle said those are right around the corner, so they would rather sell those at a little premium than push reference cards down everyone throat at least amount of profit. They will want to make money where there is money to be made.

When the cards inevitably sell out on day one, it will be because "The RX 480 is incredibly popular."
If they don't sell out, it will be because "AMD made enough to keep a steady supply."
Meanwhile the 1080 and 1070 sell out because "Nvidia didn't make enough of them."

Frankly we won't know anything about stock amounts until one of the e-tailers slips a number.

Kyle is just bluffing without any facts to back his statements. Where did he get that 8000 number from ? He surely did not get it from AMD. So did he do a survey of all the retailers in the US who sell graphics cards and asked them on their launch day stock. Did he speak to all of AMD AIBs and get the total number. Right now he is just making a fool of himself. If only he could just stop writing such rubbish and focus on reviewing PC hardware in a professional manner.

If you feel that way why post here at all lol? Doesn't that make you a fool too?

just as professionalism and objectivity is not yours. You are going to be the laughing stock come this month end. Your article about RTG sale is going to haunt you for many more years to come. Even retailers like gibbo of ocuk are of the opinion that the Rx 480 is a sure fire hit. btw they know a little bit about selling graphics cards.

Actually I'm pretty sure he's said multiple times that the card can be a hit IF PRICED RIGHT, which it seems to be on track for seeing as it has turned out to be much cheaper than many expected.

Then again making stuff up so you can argue with it seems to be a trend for some of you nowadays. I'm still laughing about that time you said the FuryX was going to be 75% faster than a 980Ti at all resolutions and yet would only be priced at $300. You've become a laughing stock for your ridiculous predictions. Am I doing it right?

If you feel that way why post here at all lol? Doesn't that make you a fool too?

You mean only people who agree with him and kind of cheer him on should post here. He is running a tech website and writing some rubbish. Obviously he will get flak for it.

You mean only people who agree with him and kind of cheer him on should post here. He is running a tech website and writing some rubbish. Obviously he will get flak for it.

I like how you post with authority about a subject you think you know more about than a person who has actual and tangible connections and communication with people inside the industry and a history of experiencing past trends on the inside, in this industry, just sayin.

Well apparently you have a bone to pick, go for it lets see how far it goes. Just think of this, if this card uses up 150 watts when it gets overclocked to 1340 or 1400 and that is the reason why they saw crashes *instead of a possible driver bug*, that's only a 10% overclock that means as long as voltage doesn't change, its probably going to be using 10% more power then stock as long as temps stay the same. That puts the card at 135 watts or so. Then if its going to need more wattage to go further was WCC, a forum post, and Nordic hardware stated, its not going to look pretty.

Here is the thing though if you read the original post. There is not much he wrote. Yes 8k number is not very high but he did say through out the thread that thats what he calculated and it could be more and there is a possibility he is not totally right and even then the 8k number is more than normal for hard launch card. We are not talking about xbox one or ps4 here, its a graphics card. They don't necessarily need 100k to on launch day.

Plus he also said that AIBs are plenty happy with the stock so thats a good sign that you will see these cards frequently available to purchase. Doesn't look like supply is an issue and after market cards coming soon after launch.

I thought the same but to be honest I was wrong. He was more positive overall about this than being negative. Yes 8k number may not look like alot for now, remember we still have to week to go for launch. There is a possibility you will see more cards pop up. Almost all retailers are listing them on their site so they are already available just waiting to launch. That is overall a good sign of supply. Ncix canada has 3 different brands listed, Newegg is already listing Visiontek that they removed.

If you look around this is actually a true hard launch we haven't had in a while and I am sure these cards will be plenty available.

Gibbo from OCUK has said that he has 500 from one frickin brand in one of the posts, looks like they have more available. They have shipped 1000 gtx 1080 so far and they expect to sell all 500 on first day for rx 480. That is a good sign my friend.

Yeah with an extra 8 pin connector..... Do you realize the more power used the more heat produced, equally..... We could be looking at a very high wattage card if it needs to use a good amount of voltage and wattage to get to that 1600.

Shall we wait till launch day and actual reviews before we again jump to speculations. Anyway custom Rx 480 cards also seem to be coming in July. So we will get a good idea pretty soon.

That is all ya got to wait for, then we will know exactly.

But keep this in mind ever single person that stated things about the 1500 1600 1400 overclocks pretty much stated the same thing, just styled their wording differently to reflect their point of view.

I like how you post with authority about a subject you think you know more about than a person who has actual and tangible connections and communication with people inside the industry and a history of experiencing past trends on the inside, in this industry, just sayin.

When a person who is running a tech website writes something for which he has nothing to back his statements that is a problem. The RTG sale thing was pure rubbish. I have not seen anybody write such drivel in a long time. Now comes this thing of 8k units for US without any facts to back it. Do you think everybody is going to just eat the crap he is dishing out.

Do you think everybody is going to just eat the crap he is dishing out.
Not that I'm comparing the two, but WCCF has built a very successful website on that premise.
Except in WCCF's case, they feed hype to make people like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back