AMD Radeon HD 7950 Video Card Review @ [H]

I think it's just a deflection from the real point - lack of knowledge or experience to do it properly. This is a childish stance to take: "since I can't do this, it is therefore bad and anyone who does it is also bad in some way."
what lack of knowledge? I know what the limits are of my hardware but chose not to push my hardware really close to them.

yes, some people do not like to trash their stuff for their own selfish reasons of wanting to have nice things in nice condition.

but to suggest that someone would take good care of their own car not for themselves, but for the benefit of the next owner, is like not screwing your girlfriend so she's in good condition for her next boyfriend.

no human exists that is as altruistic as you suggest. simple fact is, you're lying about how important the next owner is to you.

I think it's just a deflection from the real point - lack of knowledge or experience to do it properly. This is a childish stance to take: "since I can't do this, it is therefore bad and anyone who does it is also bad in some way."

So courtesy and consideration is a lie and a sham, and cautious prudence with an expensive investment is childish envy and incompetence. Check. Just programming my Universal Translator here...

wtf would I lie about that for? I most certainly think about that stuff. just because you have no regard for stuff like that does not mean others don't. the girlfriend analogy just shows what an idiot you are though.

the analogy was spot-on!

i gotta walk to the store now - but i'm going to make sure not to step in any puddles, you know, so that the guy i give these boots to has a better boot-experience

cause i'm just that saintly

give me a break, get off your high horse

So courtesy and consideration is a lie and a sham, and cautious prudence with an expensive investment is childish envy and incompetence. Check. Just programming my Universal Translator here...

if it is done in the name of altruism and not selfishness, then yes, it's a complete lie

if someone takes care of their belongings, for the selfish motivation of wanting to have nice things in nice condition - absolutely fine

claiming that same desire is altruistic consideration for the next owner, and done completely unselfishly, then yes - it's a complete lie
i'd like to offer "humanity" as proof, please

train_derail.jpg

Not that this isn't amusing.

couldn't agree more - validates their own inabilities
yeah tell yourself that. you are an idiot if you cant cant accept that some people do not like to push their systems really hard. hell some people do not like to overclock at all even if they know how. I think that's silly but its their prerogative. how about pulling your head out of your ass and accept that other people have different views than you?

the analogy was spot-on!

i gotta walk to the store now - but i'm going to make sure not to step in any puddles, you know, so that the guy i give these boots to has a better boot-experience

cause i'm just that saintly

give me a break, get off your high horse
you are doing nothing but acting like an idiotic asshole. grow the fuck up and move on.

what lack of knowledge? I know what the limits are of my hardware but chose not to push my hardware really close to them.
No, you know your own limits, there's a difference. The fact that you accuse people who push their hardware of indifference, or worse disrespect, to the next owner shows you're fighting something on a personal level when it shouldn't be. As I said, if you push hardware properly and safely, there is no risk. The fact that you refuse to even add voltage to your GPU's shows how little knowledge or experience you have in this arena.
You fell into cannondale06's trap that people who push their hardware are always doing it irresponsibly. If cannondale06 does not feel safe or confident in his abilities, then he shouldn't be pushing his hardware as that would put it and the next owner at risk. However, again, just because he can't do it safely and properly doesn't mean no one can.

Furthermore, I'd like for us to get this back on topic, and have cannondale06 explain his past logical fallacies.

yeah tell yourself that. you are fucking idiot if you cant cant accept that some people do not like to push their systems really hard. hell some people do not like to overclock at all even if they know how. I think that's silly but its their prerogative. how about pulling your head out of your ass and accept that other people have different views than you?

i'm fine with people not wanting to overclock!
what i'm not fine with is claiming the main reason for such is the next owner

claiming you pay hard-earned money, only to use that product in moderation solely for the purpose of the next owner's enjoyment is irrational. it's borderline inconsiderate to your own self-worth that you would restrain your enjoyment for the sake someone else. someone else you don't even know exists up until the time you sell the item.

unless you love all of humanity THAT much.

No, you know your own limits, there's a difference. The fact that you accuse people who push their hardware of indifference, or worse disrespect, to the next owner shows you're fighting something on a personal level when it shouldn't be. As I said, if you push hardware properly and safely, there is no risk. The fact that you refuse to even add voltage to your GPU's shows how little knowledge or experience you have in this arena.

You fell into cannondale06's trap that people who push their hardware are always doing it irresponsibly. If cannondale06 does not feel safe or confident in his abilities, then he shouldn't be pushing his hardware as that would put it and the next owner at risk. However, again, just because he can't do it safely and properly doesn't mean no one can do it.
I did not accuse anybody of anything did I? I simply said what I do with my hardware. I do not buy used stuff because there are some people that push their stuff too hard IMO or flat out do stupid things. even if I plan to never resale my stuff I still do not like to push my stuff very hard. why is that so hard to understand?

I did not accuse anybody of anything did I? I simply said what I do with my hardware. I do not buy used stuff because there are some people that push their stuff too hard IMO or flat out do stupid things. even if I plan to never resale my stuff I still do not like to push my stuff very hard. why is that so hard to understand?

what's hard to understand is how you think people doing whatever they want with the products THEY PAID FOR is in any way wrong

i'm fine with people not wanting to overclock!
what i'm not fine with is claiming the main reason for such is the next owner

claiming you pay hard-earned money, only to use that product in moderation solely for the purpose of the next owner's enjoyment is irrational. it's borderline inconsiderate to your own self-worth that you would restrain your enjoyment for the sake someone else. someone else you don't even know exists up until the time you sell the item.

unless you love all of humanity THAT much.
where did I say that I don't push my stuff hard ONLY out of respect of the next owner? I take care of my stuff for me first. its just that if I do decide to sell someone something then I can do so with 100% confidence. stop trying to twist this into something more.

what's hard to understand is how you think people doing whatever they want with the products THEY PAID FOR is in any way wrong
hell they could tear up their own shit if they want to because its theirs. what does that have to do with me choosing to take care of my stuff?

where did I say that I don't push my stuff hard ONLY out of respect of the next owner? I take care of my stuff for me first. its just that if I do decide to sell someone something then I can do so with 100% confidence. stop trying to twist this into something more.

"I do oc but I do not like to push my hardware to the limits. when I sell my stuff, I like to know that the next person will also get plenty of use and enjoyment out of it."

hell they could tear up their own shit if they want to because its theirs. what does that have to do with me choosing to take care of my stuff?

nothing

but you implied that them doing so is somehow immoral due to consideration OWED to the second hand purchaser: "I do not buy used stuff because there are some people that push their stuff too hard IMO or flat out do stupid things. even if I plan to never resale my stuff I still do not like to push my stuff very hard."

yes - by the omission of any other motive in that statement
so does every detail really have to be explained to you? being able to resale with 100% confidence is just a side effect. I never know when or if I will resale my stuff but if it happens I know they are getting something that has plenty of life in it. this has to be the silliest thing I ever seen to get attacked for.

The conversation had to do with nVidia lowering the prices on the 500s. I'm saying that at this point the 500s are of no concern to nVidia and they aren't trying to drive any sales or revenue from them. The 500s aren't competitive with the 7000s and nVidia isn't trying to make the 500s competitive with pricing because that's the point of Kepler.

Are you saying Nvidia doesn't care if all those 580s on the shelves just rot there?

No one except an extreme fanboi is going to buy one of those at the current price - and that same person would probably wait for keplar anyway.

It's time for Nvidia to lower the prices on them. Someone would have to be crazy to buy one at it's current pricing now that the 7970 is out. Once that happens AMD will have some reason to lower the price on their top cards.

If Nvidia does NOT lower the prices on the 580 that bodes very badly for the pricing on Keplar.

Yes, you did. When you say things like:
lol, dont blow your new card up now.
you are an idiot if you cant understand that some people do not like to trash their stuff.
The implication is pretty clear.
yes - by the omission of any other motive in that statement
That too.

Anyway, this has gone too far off topic, I'm not discussing it anymore.

so does every detail really have to be explained to you? being able to resale with 100% confidence is just a side effect. I never know when or if I will resale my stuff but if it happens I know they are getting something that has plenty of life in it. this has to be the silliest thing I ever seen to get attacked for.

who's attacking?

i'm just saying that your intentions seem to be out of place on a forum DEDICATED to people pushing hardware

your sentiments resemble the average consumer perhaps. this is an enthusiast forum, however. people here drink LN2 as a chaser with their vodka.

Yes, you did. When you say things like:

The implication is pretty clear.

That too.

Anyway, this has gone too far off topic, I'm not discussing it anymore.
you were talking about pushing your card to 1400 so I was joking with you telling you not to blow it up. :rolleyes:

I am the one saying this stuff and know exactly what I mean in the original context. you can try and twist whatever else you want to as your only goal here is to be a jerk anyway.

who's attacking?

i'm just saying that your intentions seem to be out of place on a forum DEDICATED to people pushing hardware

your sentiments resemble the average consumer perhaps. this is an enthusiast forum, however. people here drink LN2 as a chaser with their vodka.

even here the VAST majority of users here do not have highly oced top end pcs. you just need to accept not every one likes to oc their systems hard for whatever reason.

even here the VAST majority of users here do not have highly oced top end pcs. you just need to accept not every one likes to oc their systems hard for whatever reason.

doesn't change the fact that this forum was MEANT for people who push hardware
so you casting such an endeavor in a negative light, on THIS forum, is ridiculous

doesn't change the fact that this forum was MEANT for people who push hardware
so you casting such an endeavor in a negative light, on THIS forum, is ridiculous
the ONLY thing ridiculous here is you choosing to de rail this thread by attacking me for not wanting to use extra voltage to oc my gpu.

the ONLY thing ridiculous here is you choosing to de rail this thread by attacking me for not wanting to use extra voltage to oc my gpu.

no, what's ridiculous is you claiming to use your own products with the potential second-owner in mind, and then screaming negligence when someone wishes to be [H] on [H], like Mr. K6

no, what's ridiculous is you claiming to use your own products with the potential second-owner in mind, and then screaming negligence when someone wishes to be [H] on [H], like Mr. K6
YOU started all of this. it bothered you so bad when I said that I preferred not to use additional voltage that you just had to flame which has now gotten us to where we are now. :rolleyes:

YOU started all of this. it bothered you so bad when I said that I preferred not to use additional voltage that you just had to flame. that's when you decided to start of all the BS. :rolleyes:

[H] pays me to be the champion of rational thought and [H]-ness
don't hate the player, hate the game

No one except an extreme fanboi is going to buy one of those at the current price - and that same person would probably wait for keplar anyway.

Exactly. nVidia is going to take a loss on the 500s in the retail channel anyway and unless they come in at a steep discount would they be interesting. If Kepler is coming in the next two months why bother with fire sale prices on a 15 month old card and possibly cannibalizing sales of Keplers?

The 500s are yesterday and nVidia is simply not worried about selling 500s anymore probably because they'll have something to replace them soon. I just don't understand why people think nVidia is under all this pressure to take a loss on an obsolete part right now.

I resent that, I drink Vodka as a chaser to my LN2 while hooked up to my TEC.

Exactly. nVidia is going to take a loss on the 500s in the retail channel anyway and unless they come in at a steep discount would they be interesting. If Kepler is coming in the next two months why bother with fire sale prices on a 15 month old card and possibly cannibalizing sales of Keplers?

The 500s are yesterday and nVidia is simply not worried about selling 500s anymore probably because they'll have something to replace them soon. I just don't understand why people think nVidia is under all this pressure to take a loss on an obsolete part right now.

So what is supposed to happen with all those unsold 580s? Take a complete loss on them?

So what is supposed to happen with all those unsold 580s? Take a complete loss on them?
There's probably not that many left. There are still uninformed consumers, fanboys, and what not that will buy up the rest of the GTX 580's at their current prices. NVIDIA probably isn't supplying any more high end GTX 5xx cards into the channels and whatever is left will sell when it sells. That's how these things work.

There's probably not that many left. There are still uninformed consumers, fanboys, and what not that will buy up the rest of the GTX 580's at their current prices. NVIDIA probably isn't supplying any more high end GTX 5xx cards into the channels and whatever is left will sell when it sells. That's how these things work.

Exactly. I think whatever the situation nVidia simply had no plans to adjust 500 series pricing to compete with the 7000s.

i know at the store I work at the same number of 580 are selling as 7970s
granted the 7970s are selling at $800 - $850 american dollars
(750-800 australian dollars)

We are getting plenty of new orders with high end setups (x78 mobos, water cooled setups, coolermaster cosmos2 cases) and these fools are putting gtx580s in there....

Some models are discontinued months before 7970. Girls and boys in Nvidia and partners are not stupid to mass produce GPU at end off its life..
580 has much life left in it and buying one is not that big mistake like some trying to suggest, especially since most of them are models with better cooling, higher clocks, costum PCB etc. They will overpay it 50$ or something and that is not the end off the world.
I dont understand all bitching about gtx 580 price. If it is not good dont buy it and that is the end off the story. 7970 is faster, 7950 is better so buy them and forget about 580.. sry for my Eng..

Last edited:
Prices look good compared to other cards as well. At $550, the 7970 is cheaper than 6970 CF, but when overclocked offers the similar performance (yes, even when the 6970's are overclocked too). The 7970 has excellent price/performance over previous, much more so than the 6xxx series offered over previous. People just complain because they can't afford a $550 card, it's as simple as that.

when Kepler comes out, it will have to be priced higher then 7970 or nvidia admits defeat. Kepler will have to blow 7970 out of the water or nvidia can't justify a higher price because if it is just a bit faster the consumers will go red because their cheaper and nvidia fanboys will be the only ones buying green at the higher price.

when Kepler comes out, it will have to be priced higher then 7970 or nvidia admits defeat. Kepler will have to blow 7970 out of the water or nvidia can't justify a higher price because if it is just a bit faster the consumers will go red because their cheaper and nvidia fanboys will be the only ones buying green at the higher price.

I disagree. I think NVIDIA will be able to rely on profits on other devices and make the 28nm video cards more affordable and increase their profits by selling more video cards.

none of that matters.

the simple fact of the matter is that cards are priced relative to their performance compared to what is currently available. because the 7950 is so close to a 580 GTX, it will be priced close to it as well.

the fact it has a "50" in the name, does not mean it "replaces" the previous 50-level card. just that it's AMD's second fastest offering behind the 70.

Actually it is. If you looked at the leaked roadmap for the HD7000 series that has just came out AMD clearly intends for the 7950 to succeed the 6950. This is why people are having issues with the price I imagine. You are succeeding a ~$300 video card from last generation with a ~$450 card this generation. Regardless of the performance increase percentages compared to cost increase percentage that doesn't matter. You have had several generations of cards with excellent bang for your buck where $200-$300 got you a great card and $150-$200 got you a pretty good card. And now we want people to go back where a great card costs $400? That seems silly to me. The cards to truely look forward to are the HD7850 and whatever nVidia comes up with at the same price point.

Actually it is. If you looked at the leaked roadmap for the HD7000 series that has just came out AMD clearly intends for the 7950 to succeed the 6950. This is why people are having issues with the price I imagine. You are succeeding a ~$300 video card from last generation with a ~$450 card this generation. Regardless of the performance increase percentages compared to cost increase percentage that doesn't matter. You have had several generations of cards with excellent bang for your buck where $200-$300 got you a great card and $150-$200 got you a pretty good card. And now we want people to go back where a great card costs $400? That seems silly to me. The cards to truely look forward to are the HD7850 and whatever nVidia comes up with at the same price point.

This is the problem with having a ~2-3 month delay between the 7970 and the 7850/7870, dunno why it is taking them so long (yield issues I guess).

Back