AMD Press Conference at Computex

So my original bet (w/ someone else here for $100) was that Vega would be GTX 1080 level for $400. I still think that is true, but there might be multiple SKUs, which I didn't consider.

I still think the higher end model will be at least GTX 1080 quality, but I'm not sure on pricing. If it does reach 1080 Ti level, then clearly the cost would be $600+. And they could have a 1070 competitor too for less. So now I'm not sure.

Last edited:
So my original bet (w/ someone else here for $100) was that Vega would be GTX 1080 level for $400. I still think that is true, but there might be multiple SKUs, which I didn't consider.

I still think the higher end model will be at least GTX 1080 quality, but I'm not sure on pricing. It it does reach 1080 Ti level, then clearly the cost would be $600+. And they could have a 1070 competitor too for less. So now I'm not sure.

Bet is a bet lol!

Yeah, the bet is still on. Maybe AMD can come through with that $400 1080. We will see.

While I am firmly on Team Green, I do root for AMD/ATI in the GPU space the same way I root for AMD in the CPU space. Competition is good.

The ATI technology has never really been a problem, it's been marketing, drivers, management, etc etc.

Honestly I would also root for a third party to come in and shake up the GPU biz, but I feel like this isn't going to happen... and if it did, Nvidia would buy them out, squash it, and hide the skeletons in a closet somewhere. I miss 3dfx so much.

lol I think you said top end vega will be 1080 level and @400.
I never said anything about "top end" or different SKUs. I originally was thinking there would just be one Vega, but more recent rumors seem to indicate there may be multiple levels.

This is what I originally said:

I'm betting that Vega will be GTX 1080 performance for $400. Willing to wager $100 on the bet.

https://hardforum.com/threads/radeon-rx-vega-discussion-thread.1926069/page-21#post-1042960670

So the bet is that there will be any Vega GPU that is GTX 1080 performance for $400.

I never said anything about "top end" or different SKUs. I originally was thinking there would just be one Vega, but more recent rumors seem to indicate there may be multiple levels.

This is what I originally said:

https://hardforum.com/threads/radeon-rx-vega-discussion-thread.1926069/page-21#post-1042960670

So the bet is that there will be any Vega GPU that is GTX 1080 performance for $400.

I don't think anyone here believed there was going to be only one SKU of vega other then you. So you thought AMD would release one Vega and you said it would be $400 and gtx 1080 level. I mean if AMD released one Vega why wouldn't it be top end? They would release a mid range? SO you were talking about the top end vega because there was nothing else to talk about. One vega, if there was one vega it was always going to top end. All the leaks, samples all were about 64 CU part, there was nothing else to talk about.

Back