AMD plans to release Vega refresh in 2018

Yeah the JPR numbers included APU and IGP sales too, now really don't think they made much ground there anyways, but if Intel lost share in graphics that has to be due to less sales, and Ryzen would have to be the one that did that, their sales dropped 3%, initially pretty much flat.

Vega does 2000 on cryptonight at a reduced powerdraw. That is where the money is to be made. For comparison RX cards do 700-900 depending on clocks and bios mods. 1080Ti can do maybe 850.

Vega does 2000 on cryptonight at a reduced powerdraw. That is where the money is to be made. For comparison RX cards do 700-900 depending on clocks and bios mods. 1080Ti can do maybe 850.

You are telling me monero is more profitable than nicehash's coins right now? no its not. yeah monero went up a lot recently but mining is still much less profitable than other coins, good for investment but not bottom line. 2000 hashes with monero is like oh 4.50 bucks a day. its not more profitable. That is why I have 30% of my rigs doing other coins 15% on ETH and 15% on monero for the time being the rest on nicehash.

What? Doesn't have to be Monero. Mining XMR directly is a little over $5 per day on Vega right now. If you mine straight to nicehash its actually higher, like $6. Why is nicehash paying more than mining Monero directly? Cause of ETN. Look at profits on ETN. Its about 15% higher than nicehash right now.

Reactions: Parja
like this
What? Doesn't have to be Monero. Mining XMR directly is a little over $5 per day on Vega right now. If you mine straight to nicehash its actually higher, like $6. Why is nicehash paying more than mining Monero directly? Cause of ETN. Look at profits on ETN. Its about 15% higher than nicehash right now.

I have to take your word for it, but in any case that is still right around the gtx 1080ti on nicehash. Factor in the extra power use of Vega, my gtx 1080ti, draws 200 watts un modded when mining, I can drop that down to 180 watts.

And Vega on Cryptonight gets down to 130. I get it, I love my pile of Nvidia cards mining since they require very little work to get running, but Vega has some serious upside to its mining potential when tweaked.

And Vega on Cryptonight gets down to 130. I get it, I love my pile of Nvidia cards mining since they require very little work to get running, but Vega has some serious upside to its mining potential when tweaked.

dude that is incorrect, all those 130 watt people, was from, a guy that measured it from GPU-z, that is not total card wattage.

I'm measuring from my corsair link, which is pretty much exactly what the card is drawing.

I have to take your word for it, but in any case that is still right around the gtx 1080ti on nicehash. Factor in the extra power use of Vega, my gtx 1080ti, draws 200 watts un modded when mining, I can drop that down to 180 watts.

What hashrates on what algos are you getting?

My Vega 64 *system* is drawing 170W at the wall (total system draw...not just the card) and pulling 2kH/s mining Cryptonight on Nicehash. And that's with an 80+ Bronze PSU, to boot.

According to WhatToMine with my power rate of 13.6c/kWh, I'm netting almost $6/day.

Last edited:

My Vega 64 *system* is drawing 170W (total system draw...not just the card) and pulling 2kH/s mining Cryptonight on Nicehash.

According to WhatToMine with my power rate of 13.6c/kWh, I'm netting almost $6/day.

right now its fluctuating between keccek, equihash, blake. But I don't use my 1080ti to mine,

My 1080 system are doing Lyra24v2 and Keccak

my 1070 systems are doing eth and decred and lyra2 and Keccak and equihash depending.

Yeah the JPR numbers included APU and IGP sales too, now really don't think they made much ground there anyways, but if Intel lost share in graphics that has to be due to less sales, and Ryzen would have to be the one that did that, their sales dropped 3%, initially pretty much flat.
To clarify what Ryzen APU sales were you specifically referring? And good job btw of trying to slide out of that. You are quite the snake there. Yeah?

To clarify what Ryzen APU sales were you specifically referring? And good job btw of trying to slide out of that. You are quite the snake there. Yeah?

slide out of what, 3% in sales down is not a big deal, cause we don't know if AMD took that 3% or if Intel dropped 3% over all, they have too much market share to quantify 3% is solely on AMD Ryzen. If we look at bottom lines, Intel made a big boost this quarter, while AMD did better but not as much as Intel, which is why it could be 1.5% or 1 %. Just don't know till we see it over a period of time. Cause if AMD really drops 15% in total sales next quarter and Intel stays flat, that will show up in JPR's numbers too. 15% is not margin of error anymore. That means Intel will gain market share (5%) not at the expense of AMD (because of gains due to taking from AMD), its just that Intel is not shifting anywhere up or down, market saturation.

Are you talking about the almost/soon to be Laptops, or the unreleased desktop APU sales. LOL!

NO I'm not JPR numbers are parts that have been shipped out from IHV's.

don't understand why you guys monkey around when its so easy to find these numbers

https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-rel...d-9.3-from-last-quarter-amd-increased-8-nvidi

Overall GPU shipments increased 9.3% from last quarter, AMD increased 8% Nvidia increased 30%

We don't know how much AMD APU's took from Intel period.

MW-001.PNG

If we look at the graph of markeshare amounts, Intel dropped, AMD was FLAT to down (% wise) nV's went up, so that means most likely nV took more from Intel % wise than AMD did. Even though sales are up for AMD doesn't mean they will automatically take from Intel, cause Intel sales amounts were up too, but it didn't cover the % loss. % loss need to factor in nV too, which most likely caused Intel's drop in % more so than AMD taking sales away from Intel.

Last edited:
NO I'm not JPR numbers are parts that have been shipped out from IHV's.

don't understand why you guys monkey around when its so easy to find these numbers

https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-rel...d-9.3-from-last-quarter-amd-increased-8-nvidi

Overall GPU shipments increased 9.3% from last quarter, AMD increased 8% Nvidia increased 30%

We don't know how much AMD APU's took from Intel period.

MW-001.PNG

If we look at the graph of markeshare amounts, Intel dropped, AMD was FLAT to down (% wise) nV's went up, so that means most likely nV took more from Intel % wise than AMD did. Even though sales are up for AMD doesn't mean they will automatically take from Intel, cause Intel sales amounts were up too, but it didn't cover the % loss. % loss need to factor in nV too, which most likely caused Intel's drop in % more so than AMD taking sales away from Intel.
So specific Ryzen APU #'s?
LOL!

So specific Ryzen APU #'s?
LOL!

don't know I am assuming they took some away from Intel and I stated that. Makes sense but not too much though. Lets take the most if AMD took all of Intel's marketshare gpu share that it lost that is 3%. Because the GPU % amounts for AMD remained flat that means, nV gained much more the % by many more sales. Lets take AMD had no increase in APU sales, nV still gained much more than AMD right? Q3 is the highest for GPU sales, if nV is gaining more in this quarter, the quarter that Vega had a full quarter, does that mean Vega is selling well? No it means it is selling based on market pressure not based on consumer pressure. Vega 56 is in the performance bracket segment of JPR, that is 43% sales of ALL GPU's. This is where the 1070 and 1070ti reside, this is where nV makes their lion share of margins. Even that didn't do anything for AMD when it came to market share even though Vega 56 could be considered a performance leader over the gtx 1070.

Are miners picking up Vega by the droves? Why isn't it showing up in JPR numbers? Crypto mining making cards sell out so fast, yet we don't see total figures showing that. Its the same fuckin excuses that AMD gave for the r290, cryptoming, so we can't make enough cards for gamers and cryptomining BS. Sorry if these cards are selling out its because AMD ISN'T MAKING enough to sustain supply (there can be many reasons for this for one margins, Vega probably has piss poor margins and they don't want to make so many cards, or they are having manufacturing problems, or they don't think that making more cards would be a good thing in the long run, they might not sell as much as they make, Fiji is a good example of that, they had left over inventory of Fiji which they sold to OEM's at a discount just 8 months ago, and this showed up in their margins where their margins dropped even though Ryzen was out for a full quarter). All they have to do is make 10% more and see their bottom line jump up quite a bit if there wasn't a reason for the supply issues.

Last edited:

My Vega 64 *system* is drawing 170W at the wall (total system draw...not just the card) and pulling 2kH/s mining Cryptonight on Nicehash. And that's with an 80+ Bronze PSU, to boot.

Interested in how you're pulling 2kh/s on nicehash, I'm at 1.2 and clockspeed is ~1.5GHz with memory at 1070~. I'm on 17.11.1

Interested in how you're pulling 2kh/s on nicehash, I'm at 1.2 and clockspeed is ~1.5GHz with memory at 1070~. I'm on 17.11.1

I should have clarified. I'm not running the Nicehash client, but I'm mining on their Cryptonight pool using Cast XMR (you'll also need to wipe your drivers and install the blockchain drivers from August).

The dev just posted a new version yesterday that adds some basic remote monitoring capability...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2256917.msg25430741#msg25430741

I'll PM you the setup I use. I've got a batch file that runs devcon to restart the card, runs OverdriveNTool to set the clock speeds and voltages, and then starts the miner. I set it up to start at login with Task Scheduler, so it's pretty much fully automated.

With the imminent arrival of the Radeon Software Adreninline Edition driver package, I imagine we'll shortly know whether this rumour is cobblers or not.

Will the missing features be enabled for the new annual performance driver release.... or not?

64 should have never been released. Its power consumption is embarassing.

It would make for an amazing mobile GPU, IF and I mean IF, they clock it down to 1GHZ at like 0.7 Volts with 60watts. LOL

The problem is the card is designed to be both the Enterprise FirePro and the consumer gaming card. If AMD had the money to strip it down for consumers like nvidia does, it'd be smaller die and better wattage.
Lot's of what ifs

I should have clarified. I'm not running the Nicehash client, but I'm mining on their Cryptonight pool using Cast XMR (you'll also need to wipe your drivers and install the blockchain drivers from August).

The dev just posted a new version yesterday that adds some basic remote monitoring capability...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2256917.msg25430741#msg25430741

I'll PM you the setup I use. I've got a batch file that runs devcon to restart the card, runs OverdriveNTool to set the clock speeds and voltages, and then starts the miner. I set it up to start at login with Task Scheduler, so it's pretty much fully automated.

I'm not sure how you are getting those results with that power usage, cause I read the entire thread on cast xmr there, and no one there is getting your results with 170 watts of total system power consumption. Please send me that info too, cause that would be something I would be interested in.

Those numbers are so far off, it is a joke. I am pulling only about 435 or so watts MAX at the wall. That is with my 1700X overclocked to 3.8 Ghz at 1.3v and my Vega 56 flash with the Vega 64 bios, 50% power limit and HBM overclocked to 1000MHz. (This is without down volting my card, yet.)

I would have to somewhat agree. If they add in the heaven I can see it. This is what the [H] reviews showed. I can believe the 500+ power usage, but only if they add in the Heaven Benchmark.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - 445w

Rise of the Tomb Raider - 448w

Fallout 4 - 476w

DOOM - 452w

Battlefield 1 - 473w

Heaven Benchmark 2560x1600 Maximum IQ - 505w

Since when have high end gamer's cared about power consumption? Heat sure, but power draw, common!

And don't revisions sometimes add new or unlock hidden features?

Here's hoping a mod doesn't scold me for bashing someone who's bashing on AMD without proof...:cool:

Since when have high end gamer's cared about power consumption? Heat sure, but power draw, common!

And don't revisions sometimes add new or unlock hidden features?

Here's hoping a mod doesn't scold me for bashing someone who's bashing on AMD without proof...:cool:

IMO they only care when it helps their agenda. But it is true Vega 64 is a fucking power hog. Compared to a 1080 GTX its a failure IMO. Just like the Nvidia 480/580 GTX GPU's

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I know someone inside RTG.

He has an ax to grind with Raja.

He is also claiming that he is instrumental in dislodging Raja.

The last part, I am not sure how true that is.
Uuuh, jucy! Do have more interesting stuff you could share?

Its very clear why power numbers were never hit. I think originally Raja had high expectations. Vega was rumored to be much more power efficient. Now we all know how much TBR feature helped nvidia when it comes to power consumption. Vega sadly never had it working. I think Vega seemed to be an engineering fail for Raja and I always said he was too chill, and engineers probably slacked hard. TBR functioning properly could helped alot in the power department as it did nvidia. I guess we will find out. This probably turned vega in to a power hungry monster and on top likely didn't give the performance they were expecting.

I wouldn't be surprised if mockingbird is correct with this. When I first saw how they wouldn't have features working and TBR is still half assed, it was a broken feature. They probably didn't get in input from the driver team. The software team should be involved in the blueprint of things.

O well. May be Lisa can get RTG together.!

Why must every AMD GPU thread be about mining?

to be honest it is because a majority of AMD cards sold are used for mining. Mining is more popular than PC gaming, nothing will change that. Gamers get the shaft no doubt, but it is not like AMD and Nvidia don't know who is buying their cards. Hell Nvidia even released cards that were promoted for Mining purposes.

to be honest it is because a majority of AMD cards sold are used for mining. Mining is more popular than PC gaming, nothing will change that. Gamers get the shaft no doubt, but it is not like AMD and Nvidia don't know who is buying their cards. Hell Nvidia even released cards that were promoted for Mining purposes.
But this is a topic about possible new line of cards from AMD and implications of a failed previous launch, not about profitability of coins and how many rigs someone has. I came for the very interesting inside information and ended up reading about dull mining minutia, as per usual and from the same actors. It's tiring.

But this is a topic about possible new line of cards from AMD and implications of a failed previous launch, not about profitability of coins and how many rigs someone has.

I somewhat agree. When you think of refreshing a new line, how can miners not want to talk about it? This is a AMD video card forum, and miners are talking about the cards? This isn't an AMD gaming video card forum. This is about AMD cards, and mining is a pretty big deal when it comes to AMD cards.

Now did it get off topic a little? O ya for sure, but video cards and discussing mining will never stop.

I somewhat agree. When you think of refreshing a new line, how can miners not want to talk about it? This is a AMD video card forum, and miners are talking about the cards? This isn't an AMD gaming video card forum. This is about AMD cards, and mining is a pretty big deal when it comes to AMD cards.

Now did it get off topic a little? O ya for sure, but video cards and discussing mining will never stop.
There is a dedicated mining subforum. This is a VIDEO card one.

IMO they only care when it helps their agenda. But it is true Vega 64 is a fucking power hog. Compared to a 1080 GTX its a failure IMO. Just like the Nvidia 480/580 GTX GPU's

This is worse than than that they had the performance to back up the power usage, at least Fermi 5x0, and yet those cards didn't sell very well either.

This is worse than than that they had the performance to back up the power usage, at least Fermi 5x0, and yet those cards didn't sell very well either.

Exactly. AMD Vega is way worse just because the power output is terrible when it comes to how much performance it gives. At least the 480/580 GTX were still great performers.

Either way I look forward to the refresh, but I don't think it will help.

yeah I don't think its going to help much at all either. But I guess its better then waiting on new architecture from AMD.

Vega refresh will come enabled with features such as primitive shaders and tile-based rasterization that AMD wasn't able to get working with the initial Vega's release..

Aren't they already using some of those features on Vega FE?
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews...cture_Technical_Overview/images/slides-42.jpg

And they did just announce a major drive update for next month it seems, I'd imagine that would be the one to enable that stuff for RX Vega. Can't imagine it's somehow broken on the hardware side of things when they made a big deal about it being new features with Vega during the launch.

Is this what it has come to?

A random troll posting made up BS, as his own source, and we are supposed to take it seriously?

This is a tech forum. You make bold claims without a source, you deserve to be BANNED.

Back