AMD Phenom II x6 1090T/1055T reviews..

I tried bigadv but couldn't get it running in a VM since VMWare won't allow a VM to be spawned with 8 CPUs since it only detects 6. I'm not interested in trying native linux at this point.

Forgot to mention, I've OCed to 3.7 on stock volts and got SMP2 running again. Current PPD: 12,300

That should be able to do -bigadv
hm. Is it worthwhile to boot ubuntu off a DVD? I'm sure the ubuntu GUI will hit the PPD a bit, but ubuntu is one of the the only distros I have any experience with at all

hm. Is it worthwhile to boot ubuntu off a DVD? I'm sure the ubuntu GUI will hit the PPD a bit, but ubuntu is one of the the only distros I have any experience with at all

It doesn't hurt it that much.

I'm loading it up on my new i7 930 currently tryign to get it running -bigadv

Is there a distro with FAH already built in? I see notfred, but it looks like his won't work on a CD or DVD with bigadv

It is super easy to set up.

Just download the 6.29 file from stanford
Put it in your home dir
Then start up a console
./fah6 -configonly
type in your info (don't bother with advanced settings or anything, but do make sure you type in "big" when it asks you what client size)
then start up the client
./fah6 -smp -bigadv

You should be rocking and rolling.

I tried bigadv but couldn't get it running in a VM since VMWare won't allow a VM to be spawned with 8 CPUs since it only detects 6. I'm not interested in trying native linux at this point.

High clocked core 2 quads can run -bigadv without HT. So I don't think you need 8 spawned cpus do you? I thought Stanford listed 8 cores as a requirement just because you would need a min of a 8 cores @ stock clocks to finish a work unit on time (before i7s that is).

High clocked core 2 quads can run -bigadv without HT. So I don't think you need 8 spawned cpus do you?
I heard the guys who got bigadv running on C2Q did some trickery to get the client to pull a bigadv. AFAIK, otherwise, the client needs to detect 8 CPUs

I'm downloading ubuntu 10.04 now....

I forgot about the 8 thread problem.... I've run it with -smp 7 but that was on a system that still had 8 threads.

Do you think manually setting -smp 7 or -smp 8 will cause it to download a bigadv?

Do you think manually setting -smp 7 or -smp 8 will cause it to download a bigadv?
I think I tried it last year and it worked. The EVGA VM also states upon startup that one of the flags that can be used is the -smp 7 flag. So, either it's still possible or this is something that linuxrouter included in his image at a time when it was possible. I remember reading something in the beginning of the year that Stanford was going to make it mandatory to have a minimum of 8 cores installed and detectable. EA would know more and has posted some info regarding this recently.

The client itself check the core count, so I doubt setting smp 8 is going to work for a 6 core CPU.

And as a fair warning, Ubuntu 10.04 did not fold when I tried it last month. It would start, but stop immediately with some sort of error. Hopefully it is fixed, but I haven't tried it in a while.

I heard the guys who got bigadv running on C2Q did some trickery to get the client to pull a bigadv. AFAIK, otherwise, the client needs to detect 8 CPUs

I'm downloading ubuntu 10.04 now....

i believe he used the same trick that was used in the old 2 core VM where you could modify the config to allow 4 cores even though the VM didnt support it.. i just cant remember how to do it.. its in one of the threads here from probably 8 or 9 months ago..

I saw someone else quoted as saying they sneakernetted a bigadv wu to a quad core pc.

Anybody know how that's done? I have an i7 rig running bigadv, I just don't know how to get the WU from there to another pc. Especially within VMs.

First person that gets TPF's from a Thuban (even just a "sneakernetted" WU) gets ONE tamale hand delivered by a walrus.
walrus.jpg
+
pclips057.jpg

{images deleted - off topic}

Not sayin you'd want one to deliver your tamale, but if you put it in a bucket...

Last edited by a moderator:
We better get some stats before this thread gets way out of control.

Well, what you are describing is a VMware issue, which should be fixable by editing the Vmware images VMX file to say:

numvcpus = "6"
instead of:
numvcpus = "8"

That will let you launch it, though you probably won't be able to get -bigadv units still. But that should fix the problem you described here...

those temps are really good on the stock cooler.. still have 10C headroom before even touching the throttling temp.. is that PPD with A3 WU's? become tonight im going to try out the A3's and see what kind of PPD i get on my x4 940 at 3.7ghz and see how it compares to the x6 at 3.7ghz..

AMD cpu's throttle in the 60C's? That seams so weird considering I run my i7 at 80C 24/7. They're both 45nm, I didn't think there was that much difference between the different fab processes.

How is it than an i7 at 1.44 volts is almost impossible to cool while the little dual heatpipe with 80mm fan stock cooler can keep 6 cores at 3.7ghz and 1.44 volts all the way down at 52C? Even a water block on an i7 has trouble keeping 1.44 volts that cool.

AMD cpu's throttle in the 60C's? That seams so weird considering I run my i7 at 80C 24/7. They're both 45nm, I didn't think there was that much difference between the different fab processes.

How is it than an i7 at 1.44 volts is almost impossible to cool while the little dual heatpipe with 80mm fan stock cooler can keep 6 cores at 3.7ghz and 1.44 volts all the way down at 52C? Even a water block on an i7 has trouble keeping 1.44 volts that cool.

yep throttles at 60-62C.. AMD's silicone isnt as good as intels.. but its always been this way so most of us AMD users are use to it..

as far as the cooling.. different chip design under the heat spreader.. also having the Hyperthreading creates a lot of heat.. turn hyperthreading off then on and watch the difference in temp.. can be anywhere from 10-15C different.. also the IMC on the i7 creates a lot more heat then the phenom II's IMC..

here's some more:

3.7ghz

12,997 ppd

3:35 tpf

p 6012

How are these temps? This is with the stock cooler.

74088880.png

That is pretty sweet for the stock cooler, although you are running a bit too close to the ragged edge for my comfort. 3.7ghz is awesome for the 1055T.

I can't wait to see how far you will be able to push it once you put a better cooler on there like a Noctua.

No noctuna in this 1055's future. It's in an antec fusion HTPC case. I have about 100mm from the motherboard to the top of the case, and nearly all heatsinks are taller than that. I do have a mini ninja in another PC that is probably going to get moved to the 1055 once I find another cooler.

I honestly don't care too much about being on the "ragged edge". Even if it burns up in 1-2 years, at that point this CPU will be dog crap compared to whatever Intel/AMD have out by then. I just don't want it to throttle.

I just ordered the ram for my 1090T, so that should be here by thurs at the latest. Then we can see what it can do under my H50 :D

11h6tly.jpg

That is pretty sweet for the stock cooler, although you are running a bit too close to the ragged edge for my comfort. 3.7ghz is awesome for the 1055T.

I can't wait to see how far you will be able to push it once you put a better cooler on there like a Noctua.

nah its no where near the ragged edge on the phenom II's.. they dont heat up all that much and to even hit 60C would take another .10-.15v i mean even on my 940 the difference between 3 cores loaded and 4 cores loaded is a whole 2C.. running at 3.7ghz 1.52v @ 53C on a pos thermaltake Big typhoon heatsink..

but i cant wait to see what hat processor can do under the H50.. hopefully you can hit the 4.5ghz mark under 1.55v and 60C.. now that would be bad ass..

I just ordered the ram for my 1090T, so that should be here by thurs at the latest. Then we can see what it can do under my H50 :D
I'll be curious too. Make sure you post temps once you get a chance. I think I could pull off an H50 in my Fusion.

as far as the cooling.. different chip design under the heat spreader.. also having the Hyperthreading creates a lot of heat.. turn hyperthreading off then on and watch the difference in temp.. can be anywhere from 10-15C different.. also the IMC on the i7 creates a lot more heat then the phenom II's IMC..
That's essentially what I was going to say. Architecture makes as much difference to temperatures as process does.

nah its no where near the ragged edge on the phenom II's.. they dont heat up all that much and to even hit 60C would take another .10-.15v i mean even on my 940 the difference between 3 cores loaded and 4 cores loaded is a whole 2C.. running at 3.7ghz 1.52v @ 53C on a pos thermaltake Big typhoon heatsink..

but i cant wait to see what hat processor can do under the H50.. hopefully you can hit the 4.5ghz mark under 1.55v and 60C.. now that would be bad ass..

I tend to be a bit conservative well doing anything these days, so I guess that is where we differ. I honestly don't know what happened to me, but I turned into a big wuss. I have become so afraid to take risks, that I wonder why I still consider myself a hardcore computer enthusiast..........

Under the stock cooler, my current Phenom II 965 can hit 59-60degrees when it was folding during the hottest part of the day. That was until I reverted it back to gaming only after getting my i7 rig. I remember that I got so incredibly worried because of AMD's 62 degree temperature limit. But doesn't AMD use the cpu case temperature and not the core? I think the T-case lagged behind by about 5-6 degrees........

11h6tly.jpg

Sweet! Can't wait!

I tend to be a bit conservative well doing anything these days, so I guess that is where we differ. I honestly don't know what happened to me, but I turned into a big wuss. I have become so afraid to take risks, that I wonder why I still consider myself a hardcore computer enthusiast..........

Under the stock cooler, my current Phenom II 965 can hit 59-60degrees when it was folding during the hottest part of the day. That was until I reverted it back to gaming only after getting my i7 rig. I remember that I got so incredibly worried because of AMD's 62 degree temperature limit. But doesn't AMD use the cpu case temperature and not the core? I think the T-case lagged behind by about 5-6 degrees........

Sweet! Can't wait!

what happened? you joined the real world where its no longer worth the cost of the screwing up wasnt worth the risk.. me on the other hand i have a long time left to make mistakes.. :p the day i actually screw something up to the point where i waste more money then it was worth actually overclocking something is the day ill quit doing it..

they may with the phenom II's since its only got a single temp but i know the phenom I's and athlon x2's used diode sensors..

what happened? you joined the real world where its no longer worth the cost of the screwing up wasnt worth the risk.. me on the other hand i have a long time left to make mistakes.. :p the day i actually screw something up to the point where i waste more money then it was worth actually overclocking something is the day ill quit doing it..

they may with the phenom II's since its only got a single temp but i know the phenom I's and athlon x2's used diode sensors..

It is scary what age does to you. I don't even drive more than 5mph over the speed limit anymore...........

The old rebel side of me is almost gone, and i'm becoming more and more socially conservative every day. I was always politically conservative, but socially liberal........

Hell, I traded in my 520+hp Chevy for a hybrid late last year...........

UPS just dropped off my 1055t. I think I'll play with that instead of fighting with my GPUs.

Back