AMD Phenom II X4 955 - HDX955WFK4DGM...95W?

nobody_here

[H]F Junkie
So did these get cancelled or what? Haven't heard of a 95 watt Phenom II X4 955 processor

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom II X4 955 - HDX955WFK4DGM.html

i first came across the entry on Asus's power supply calculator on their website, it was one of the choices instead of the HDX955FBK4DGM 125W cpu thats readily available today

it would really suck if the 125W cpu i just ordered could have been gotten in a 95W variant, but i cant find it anywhere other than documantation

**wait, i found one for $10 less than the retail boxed 125W version

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=HDX955GM

wtf....

hrm....wouldn't these run cooler and possibly overclock better with less power? any info to suggest this? cause i still have the option to return my cpu and could get that one since i am using an aftermarket HSF anyways

you could actually get the 955 C3's down to 95w as well just they werent released as a 95w chip. they stuck with the 125w rating since it really didnt matter on the consumer side unlike the OEM side where its important since they can skimp on the motherboard cost by using a 95w max board instead of a 125w max. i think the actual TDP at stock voltage was 110w for the 125w C3's. its just like a lot of the 65w dual core athlon II chips even though they say they are rated at 65w some of them are as low as 50w.

from my research it looks like they are both known as C3 revision CPU's, however the 95W model is not unlocked, it is a 955.....so there's a C2 140W 955, a C3 125W 955BE, and a C3 95W 955

im just going to stick with what i have since its unlocked, a locked 95W cpu sounds like a great overclocker until you figure how high the frequency would have to go to hit 4Ghz...250Mhz

it's likely at that speed it would require a good voltage bump, and thus heat, putting it on par with a 955BE 125W part. where the C3 955BE it seems can pretty effortlessly hit 4Ghz by simply changing the multi to 20x and almost no voltage increase

The 955 95 watt processor's are blue box which means they are locked.

The 955 95 watt processor's are blue box which means they are locked.

yep because they are OEM, they don't want people overclocking them. its why you don't see black edition processors in OEM systems.

Back