AMD Opteron 4000 Platform

brycejones

Supreme [H]ardness
Thread in front page news

Depending on motherboard availability looks like an interesting platform at a much lower cost than hexacore Intel CPUs. Sweet spot seems to be 6 core 2.6ghz Opteron 4180 for $188. Of course the motherboard quality is going to be the big question. Supermicro has a couple up on their website but nothing exciting.

the opteron boards have been pretty good quality.. question will be how long will it take til we see the first boards with overclocking options in the bios..

My only disappointment is that the fastest 6 core 4100 series Opteron AMD will be offering will be at 2.8ghz. I know that they claim to be optimizing for energy efficiency, but I just don't understand why they stop at 2.8ghz when the desktop sector gets a Thuban that runs as high as 3.2ghz.

Anyone gonna try this setup out though? It would be pretty interesting running two hex cores at $350 each for a total of 12 cores on a dual socket C34 setup. According to the press article, it leads me to believe that these motherboards may also be able to accept the upcoming Bulldozers so long as the motherboard manufacturers don't act like a bunch of bastards and stop supporting their stuff.

I don't think it will come anywhere close to a highly overclocked Gulftown, but i'm curious how close it can at stock speeds since you are getting a total of 12 real cores.

If the boards will OC, I think someone will give it a shot.

In the past, Opteron systems like my dual S940 and some socket-F boards had tuning support with certain software tools. Even some older Tyan dual Socket-A boards were OCable with the right software. All we need is similar support and we won't have to wait for motherboard manufacturers to release an enthusiast model, which realistically could take a long time if one will ever become available.

In the past, Opteron systems like my dual S940 and some socket-F boards had tuning support with certain software tools. Even some older Tyan dual Socket-A boards were OCable with the right software. All we need is similar support and we won't have to wait for motherboard manufacturers to release an enthusiast model, which realistically could take a long time if one will ever become available.

Now that we know eVGA's motherboard team went and left to Saphire, i'm curious to see if there is a possible AMD version of the SR2 in the works. An enthusiast model with very high quality conponents designed to handle overclocking would be ideal. We know that Saphire is loyal to ATI, so perhaps I am hoping that we will see some options. I'm curious to see how overclockable the Magny Cours 12 core chips are considering that there is an extreme price difference between the low end 1.6-1.8 ghz model and the high end 2.3ghz.

Back