AMD on 2nd Gen Ryzen XFR2 and Precision Boost 2

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Our buddy Robert Hallock pulls out the whiteboards and gets all nerdy on us, just the way we like it. He talks about XFR2 (Extended Frequency Range) and Precision Boost 2, which we surely saw benefits from in our Ryzen 2700X review. That said, we have been banging away on the 2700X since last week, literally running hundreds of benchmarks to get a better handle on what exactly XFR2 and Precision Boost 2 are going to mean to you when it comes to figuring out exactly how you want to cool your new Ryzen 2700X. I should be finished collecting data this morning and hope to make sense of it all and get an article published this week.

Check out the video.

Last edited:
Excellent progression on the core scaling with clocks instead of harsher throttles of set speeds. Have a feeling we will start to see Intel looking at something similar.
XFR is basically what Nvidia has been doing for awhile now, very neat to see that come into play with other CPUs as well.

If I heard him correctly this is handled by the actual CPU itself? This is not monitored by the chipset at all?

If I heard him correctly this is handled by the actual CPU itself? This is not monitored by the chipset at all?
From what i remember from writing about the original XFR AMD uses the fabric of sensors on the CPU and the processor itself to monitor temps and power and clock accordingly. The X370/X470 doesn't get involved. Im blanking on what AMD called it but it was one of the "Mi" technologies, SenseMi maybe? heh

Looking forward to reading your update. I would like to get more cores than the 4 I have with my 6700k but I keep feeling like I would get more for my $$$ if I just upgraded my gpu. Either way it sounds like with Ryzen+ you are better off not OCing and just letting the cpu do its thing

From what i remember from writing about the original XFR AMD uses the fabric of sensors on the CPU and the processor itself to monitor temps and power and clock accordingly. The X370/X470 doesn't get involved. Im blanking on what AMD called it but it was one of the "Mi" technologies, SenseMi maybe? heh

Yeah I was just curious as to how it was actually handled, I know I can do a google search but I actually like to talk with people about things.......even though thats a farfetched idea nowadays. :-/

Watched the video. Sounds neat and an incentive to buy better coolers. AMD should probably partner with Corsair or someone and sell "Ryzen" branded watercoolers.

Back