AMD NOT Vulnerable to Lazy FPU Exploit

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

We talked you this morning about Intel CPUs and the Lazy FPU exploit. AMD reached out to us and had this to say:

You may be aware of a new security vulnerability being described as ‘Lazy FPU’. Based on our analysis to-date, we do not believe our products are susceptible to the recent security vulnerability identified around lazy FPU switching.

Pieter3dnow likes this.
  2. Rauelius

Rauelius 2[H]4U

At what point does it take for businesses to see that AMD provides a more secure processor?

the901, jnemesh, F.E.A.R. and 10 others like this.
  3. Araxie

Araxie [H]ardness Supreme

hmm... something fishy (as always)

"we do not believe our products are susceptible to the recent security vulnerability identified around lazy FPU switching." ???

Believe it's a very very lawyer term.. believe and be sure are completely different things.. you can believe something and still be wrong. "we do not believe" it's not the exact way to confirm that they are or not vulnerable to something. same answer before, however patch were still released for their CPUs..

raz-0, lostin3d and ZeroBarrier like this.
  4. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

Depends on what you mean by that way. More secure than what?

5. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

Saying "we are sure" when it comes to security never tends to go over well

6. iNViSiGOD

iNViSiGOD Gawd

Intel has got to be having one of their worst years I can recall. What a lolfest.

jnemesh and Zuul like this.
  7. DukenukemX

DukenukemX 2[H]4U

Until one of these exploits is used to to hack machines and cost millions.

8. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak Gawd

I mean it could very well be, but I believe a companies internal oversight as much as I do when .gov does it.

9. SmokeRngs

SmokeRngs [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008

Actually, that doesn't sound very "lawyery" at all. It's a simple statement in which their initial testing has not found a way AMD processors can be affected by the exploit but doesn't mean it's absolutely, totally and completely impossible.

10. Zuul

Zuul Gawd

oh noes...is my 5820k gonna be allright? Security vulnerabilities are always present when you expose a machine to the internet. But I'm likely to go to AMD on my next build.

edit: kudos however to intel to atleast "trying" to plug this. Instead of going "buy our new and sec i9 and no probs processor, and it's almost like the old one without the sec flaws and 500MHz less" remember kids...intel goes 5GHz!

11. Richard R

Richard R n00bie

They are saying based upon the analysis that they have done so far it looks like they are not affected. Not that they are absolutely not affected.

Actually, they did not say they were unaffected by all three vulnerabilities, one of the spectre's they mentioned that it was very improbable to exploit. This is why they released the optional patch.

12. NoOther

Actually, actually, they only grudgingly admitted that it may be affected by one of the vulnerabilities. Their very first response was the same one they gave here.

13. thebufenator

thebufenator Gawd

Have you seen POC code? like the POC code for Intel?

14. NoOther

Yes, and so has AMD. Which is one of the reasons they were forced to amend their statement and why they created patches for it. The reality is, all these attacks are very hard to pull off on any processor.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Araxie likes this.
  15. Exercate

Exercate Limp Gawd

The way that is worded, they could put that statement out - even without ever looking. At any time, their statement could be altered at any subsequent finding! AND - still be a true statement.

16. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

Does cts labs know about this?

Is Intels stock price at zero yet?

17. umeng2002

umeng2002 Gawd

These Lazy FPUs these days...

When I was younger, FPUs worked 14 hours a day and walked 10 miles to and from work.

18. thebufenator

thebufenator Gawd

If you have a link to code that exploits an AMD cpu I'd like to see it. I have many generations of hardware here and would love to see what code functions on what hardware with different levels of patches.

19. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

And uphill both ways!

Tags: