AMD Moves From Infinity Fabric to Infinity Architecture: Connecting Everything to Everything

erek

[H]F Junkie
This seems neat, hopefully it is! Infinite Architecture!

"AMD introduced its Infinity Fabric with the first generation of Zen products, which was loosely described as a superset of Hypertransport allowing for fast connectivity between different chiplets within AMD’s enterprise processors, as well as between sockets in a multi-socket server. With Rome and Zen 2, the company unveiled its second generation IF, providing some more speed but also GPU-to-GPU connectivity."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1559...hitecture-connecting-everything-to-everything

Connecting everything to everything? Uh oh...
1583517225412.png

One of the SGI workstations had something like this, if I recall correctly.

Reactions: erek
like this
we had octane 2s at the office until 2008 to runour visualization stuff... pieces of garbage, but good looking cases

i like the cases, but like their hardware and software a lot :(

SGI brought us OpenGL, bud :(

"Infinity Fabric was just the first step. We now bring you..."

*Snaps fingers*

"Infinity Architecture!"

AMD must have collected all the Infinity stones to be able to pull this off.

"Infinity Fabric was just the first step. We now bring you..."

*Snaps fingers*

"Infinity Architecture!"

AMD must have collected all the Infinity stones to be able to pull this off.

impressed?

I find it humorous that AMD is getting news traction concerning a system bus. Something that has no impact on its own.

Obviously they'll attach it to everything they have, but it sounds like AMDs typical marketing misfires. Like marketing HBM for gaming GPUs etc.

I know you lot are thinking about the link between CPU and GPU, but think what this could do for storage and very fast memmory. SSD over PCI 5.0 or 64000 + MHZ DDR5!

Yes pleas!

I know you lot are thinking about the link between CPU and GPU, but think what this could do for storage and very fast memmory. SSD over PCI 5.0 or 64000 + MHZ DDR5!

Yes pleas!

Hopefully lower latency as well as more memory bandwidth.

Reactions: erek
like this
One of the SGI workstations had something like this, if I recall correctly.

You see that a lot in computers. Things that are "new" in the desktop and regular server market are in fact things that existed in the ultra high end space for some time, they were just not practical to bring to normal systems. Things like IOMMU are like that. Mainframes have done that for a long time but the cost and complexity meant it was a non-starter on regular systems. However as tech progressed it became something that was doable and useful for normal chips.

I find it humorous that AMD is getting news traction concerning a system bus. Something that has no impact on its own.

Obviously they'll attach it to everything they have, but it sounds like AMDs typical marketing misfires. Like marketing HBM for gaming GPUs etc.

But if it was Intel doing it what? Most here would be poking their eyes out with the big blue boners they would have over it.

COMPETITION IS GOOD. That stale shit Intel has been re-pedalling for years was not.

But if it was Intel doing it what? Most here would be poking their eyes out with the big blue boners they would have over it.
IT'S A SYSTEM BUS

It doesn't do any work. It has no meaning if there aren't things worth connecting to it.

And no one here cares to trumpet what Intel or anyone else is calling their proprietary buses, because they don't matter either.

It's like AMD marketing PCIe 4.0 on their GPUs when it does all of jack and shit over PCIe 3.0. Just pointless.

COMPETITION IS GOOD. That stale shit Intel has been re-pedalling for years was not.

The irony is the the biggest changes from TR1 to TR3 is the infinity fabric and how they've changed how the chiplets connect! But no, that shit is dumb to some...

The irony is the the biggest changes from TR1 to TR3 is the infinity fabric and how they've changed how the chiplets connect! But no, that shit is dumb to some...
The fact that they better used their proprietary bus? Sure, that's cool.

But it's a consequence of having something useful to wire up. Giving it a marketing name is just silly.

If AMD can obliterate Intel this is great! Because Intell will obliterate AMD. Amd will obliterate Intel. Intel will obliterate AMD.. AMD will..... see we consumers always win from back and forth obliteration!

6 links per GPU for v3.0 and up to 8 gpus will be great for compute, very curious how it will impact desktops and gaming. As memory is unified then could enable some interesting tech if it's scaled down.
>it's nothing guys, it's just a bus
>don't talk about AMD hardware on a [H]ardware board
>gets ignored
Lol

Back