AMD Meet the Experts

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Here is a partial slide deck from the AMD "Meet the Experts" meeting held this morning. These should give you a bit of insight into upcoming Ryzen compatible motherboards. You can see plenty of other ASUS and MSI specific slides at this imgur gallery. 1337 13D haxors unite!

People really like all this retina-searing LED shit integrated into their gear, huh? I have to say I'd much prefer for there to be a line of boards that were focused on being amazing instead of looking amazing.

People really like all this retina-searing LED shit integrated into their gear, huh? I have to say I'd much prefer for there to be a line of boards that were focused on being amazing instead of looking amazing.
You should check out r/PCMasterRace sometime.

How about RGB on your memory?
upload_2017-1-31_16-6-41.png

http://www.gskill.com/en/press/view...y-rgb-lighting-ddr4-with-trident-z-rgb-series

Um.. is that 12 back panel USB ports (8 3.0/3.1 & 4 2.0) I'm seeing? Seriously?

Nope, more likely 14.

If you look closely, you can see a USB-C port as well as what appears to be an eSata port, which usually doubles as a USB port.

You should check out r/PCMasterRace sometime.

How about RGB on your memory?

lol, Jesus. Once upon a time (back in 2005) I thought "the more fans and LEDs the better" but I guess tastes change!

I prefer my computer to be as near as possible to a silent dark obelisk at this point. I don't want to hear it, or even see it, unless I need to plug some shit in.

Stolen Notes...
  • Ryzen and any AM4 socket chip will support Win 7 (due to Bristol Ridge support)
  • Raven Ridge will be 4 core 8 thread
  • ASUS claims 10 phase power design is best match for max overclocking
  • EK and other partners working on AM4 monoblocks for Asus Crosshair (options in the works)

I want to love Ryzen, and the processors looks damn good, but I'm worried about the chipsets.

Until the NDA is lifted and we get some real world performance I am more worried about the processors.

That Crosshair VI Hero should be pretty expensive due to the Sabre DAC inclusion, which is a part found in the $200 Pioneer media player.

I love RGB lighting. It means most board manufacturers have to make their boards colour-neutral, which makes finding matching parts much easier, and in turn the boards look better.

I love RGB lighting. It means most board manufacturers have to make their boards colour-neutral, which makes finding matching parts much easier, and in turn the boards look better.
Plus it isnt like you HAVE to use the RGB lighting.

You don't have to use it, just pay for it.

That was sorta where I was coming from, as well. I'd rather have the money I would be paying into RGB shit going instead into better VRMs, higher quality heatsink mounting and TIM, reinforced plugs, etc etc.

There has to be a market for "Doesn't give a shit about lighting, wants it built like a solid-steel-brick shit-house so it could be used to kill a boar and then installed into a nice rig still dripping with gore".

You don't have to use it, just pay for it.
Motherboard prices are pretty normal looking to me. Before RGB we still had 600 dollar consumer boards. So that doesn't really hold up much weight. The cost of those LEDs is inconsequential.

That was sorta where I was coming from, as well. I'd rather have the money I would be paying into RGB shit going instead into better VRMs, higher quality heatsink mounting and TIM, reinforced plugs, etc etc.

There has to be a market for "Doesn't give a shit about lighting, wants it built like a solid-steel-brick shit-house so it could be used to kill a boar and then installed into a nice rig still dripping with gore".
You mean the ASUS TUF boards? http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-Z270-MARK-2/

I have to admit, and on board Sabre DAC is pretty cool....

...even though the motherboard is probably the noisiest worst place to put a DAC, any DAC.

The wait is getting a bit excessive. Im starting to get the vapors... wares.

Which NIC chip? How does the USB compare to Intel chipsets? Does the CPU load go up while you're using the peripherals? How much software do I have to install to turn off the LEDs and then uninstall? How many fan headers? I gots to know. </lucky punk>

Back