AMD launches Zen+ 12nm Ryzen and X470 motherboards

Not to mention Destiny 2, Ghost recon Wildlands, Rainbow 6 Siege, Far Cry 5, Assassin's Creed.

Even the ancient Sins of a solar Empire got a multithreaded patch last year.

Ugh pricing out high speed RAM and jesus christ prices seem high. :(

I have 32GB of PC2133 with my 5960x but it's too slow and I also hate reusing parts...

I might just stick with 16GB for a while. Don't feel like dropping $450 just on 32GB of RAM.

Latency in cycles hasn't changed. E.g. a 12 cycle L2 cache is already in the Zen cores as demonstrated in #152. So a 12 cycle L2 is not something new to Zen+ cores as someone else pretended. Latency in ns is what changes because the new chip runs at higher clocks!

There was a clock for clock comparison somewhere (still preliminary/preview/leak, so take it with a *huge* grain of salt) that suggested even at equal clocks, Zen+ has lower latency in ns. Improvements in the IMC, perhaps? I understand that the number of cache cycles hasn't changed, but that doesn't mean latency can't be improved elsewhere.

forza 7 i definitely know is set to use 7 threads on both pc and console. then you have all the battlefield games which scale past 4 threads but not 8. i've seen a few other games that i can't think of off the top of my head because they weren't games i cared about that showed gains with 8 thread cpu's vs 4 core/thread cpu's. i'll have to look for them later this afternoon after i get some sleep since i just got finished with a 12h shift.

PUBG also scales up to 6 cores now. It was originally 4, but it got an update several months ago.

https://imgur.com/a/8JJRb

The Zen+ architecture

~3% Greater 1T IPC
Up to 16% Better L3 cache Latency
Up to 34% Better L2 cache Latency
Up to 13% Better L1 cache Latency
Up to 11% Better Memory Latency
versus AMD Zen architecture

Someone Tested 2700X on X470 ==> ( at 77 second)

Let me guess, still sandy-bridge IPC?

IPC? With Meltdown/Spectre patches included Skylake IPC is about 15--28% higher than Zen.

14.634% excluding all >= 256-bit workloads, 23.632% excluding single extremities (low / high), 28.002% including all workloads in the suite (30 workloads).

Let us ignore outliers and 256/512bit workloads. The IPC gap is 15%. So if Zen+ brings ~3% higher IPC according to AMD, The gap is reduced to about 12%.

Last edited:
I'd assumed that attachment was the latency others had been referring to, and I'd assumed that it was improvements due to the new process or AMD addressing hardware issues early adopters identified first go around. With the percentages seemingly not aligning with the clock increases (or each other), I'm not sure how it would relate to simply higher clocks... but I'm not going to pretend I understand what exactly goes on at that hardware level and I'd be happy to be educated there.

There are several clock domains: from the inner core to the memory controller. Also adding 200MHz higher doesn't have the same effect on something working at 4GHz than on something working at 2GHz.

There was a clock for clock comparison somewhere (still preliminary/preview/leak, so take it with a *huge* grain of salt) that suggested even at equal clocks, Zen+ has lower latency in ns. Improvements in the IMC, perhaps? I understand that the number of cache cycles hasn't changed, but that doesn't mean latency can't be improved elsewhere.

Yes, the memory controller is improved in latency (at expense of bandwidth).

Also "equal clocks" is relative. There are clocks domains aren't accessible to final user. You can clock equal only the accessible clocks, not the not accessible (which are seted at fabric).

Yes, the memory controller is improved in latency (at expense of bandwidth).

Citation needed on the second part. Only thing I've seen so far was that one Spanish review - and even then, the bandwidth reduction was only on X370, not X470. Which could be either a platform issue, or a beta BIOS issue (or both). But whatever it was, it wasn't present on the X470.

Also "equal clocks" is relative. There are clocks domains aren't accessible to final user. You can clock equal only the accessible clocks, not the not accessible (which are seted at fabric).

Possible. But that falls under "could be improved elsewhere."

IPC? With Meltdown/Spectre patches included Skylake IPC is about 15--28% higher than Zen.

Let us ignore outliers and 256/512bit workloads. The IPC gap is 15%. So if Zen+ brings ~3% higher IPC according to AMD, The gap is reduced to about 12%.

So, if I find a forum topic discussing that the moon is made out of cheese, and someone states the latest tests show that it is made of cheese, it makes it indisputable fact? Thanks for removing all doubt why many people have blocked you, as you linked nothing that supports your claim other than a similar discussion in another forum, that is going on here. Makes a person wonder if you just linked your own comment under a different name.

If you want people to listen and entertain your statements, give us some proof other than he said she said type of stuff. Give us some real proof instead of this crap.

Don't get eachother too worked up. NDA lifts in two days.

IMO anyone can speculate at this point. You don't need to prove anything too outlandish pre launch. ;)

In other news I ordered my 16GB 3200 14 RAM for Ryzen. I got that piece! $250 ffs.

I speculate that the 2700x will be faster and clock higher than the 1800x. 0_o

why keep it a secret? spill the beans lol

I think his "on-hand testing" is playing games at AMD's testing booth yesterday.

AMD have systems with Ryzen 7 2700X and systems with Core i7-8700K so you can compare games on the different systems.

I think his "on-hand testing" is playing games at AMD's testing booth yesterday.

AMD have systems with Ryzen 7 2700X and systems with Core i7-8700K so you can compare games on the different systems.

Spoiler alert from [H] testing... gamers can't tell the difference between systems.

I'm on record as being against either test because of flawed methodology and even Kyle acknowledged that it is being extrapolated to prove more than it really does. Not to mention that you're now lumping all gamers into a category where the sample size was and is statistically insignificant.

To be Honest once Kyle reviews the 2700k. Two things will happen. He will be called Biased against AMD, Or will be called Biased against Intel. Either way its fucking retarded what people will say over a very honest review.

To be Honest once Kyle reviews the 2700k. Two things will happen. He will be called Biased against AMD, Or will be called Biased against Intel. Either way its fucking retarded what people will say over a very honest review.

I think your stretching it a bit. There may be a few drama queens on here but most will be happy to have a review from someone they trust.

I think your stretching it a bit. There may be a few drama queens on here but most will be happy to have a review from someone they trust.

Possibly. But with so many Anti AMD and Anti Intel people on this forum.....The forum thread the day of release will be a good ole time

What time does the NDA lift? When the clock strikes midnight on the 19th?

What time does the NDA lift? When the clock strikes midnight on the 19th?
I would assume 12AM EST as the NDA takes effect in the timezone it is contracted and signed in. Most Lawyers for Wall Street are NYC.

Last edited:
I would assume 12AM EST as the NDA takes effect in the timezone it is contracted and signed in. Most Lawyers for Wall Street are NYC.

i think i remember the last one being some odd time like 6 am CST or PST or something. i know amd typically doesn't use 12 am EST.

So, if I find a forum topic discussing that the moon is made out of cheese, and someone states the latest tests show that it is made of cheese, it makes it indisputable fact? Thanks for removing all doubt why many people have blocked you, as you linked nothing that supports your claim other than a similar discussion in another forum, that is going on here. Makes a person wonder if you just linked your own comment under a different name.

If you want people to listen and entertain your statements, give us some proof other than he said she said type of stuff. Give us some real proof instead of this crap.

So you don't know who is The Stilt and you don't know he has probably made the more complete and exhaustive set of measurements of IPC on Zen platforms.

Ok I got it! :whistle:

I have 2700X on-hand testing against my 8700K.. you're gonna be surprised when the reviews come out.

Positive surpises are welcomed, but it is difficult to be surprised at this point with so many data and leaks at hand. I think most of us have a very good idea of what 2700X will do.

I'm on record as being against either test because of flawed methodology and even Kyle acknowledged that it is being extrapolated to prove more than it really does. Not to mention that you're now lumping all gamers into a category where the sample size was and is statistically insignificant.

This sounds as the biased gaming demos that AMD released before Zen launch the past year

At this point, you might be left feeling disillusioned when considering AMD’s tech demos. Keep in mind that most of the charts leaked and created by AMD revolved around Cinebench, which is not a gaming workload. When there were gaming workloads, AMD inflated their numbers by doing a few things:

In the Sniper Elite demo, AMD frequently looked at the skybox when reloading, and often kept more of the skybox in the frustum than on the side-by-side Intel processor. A skybox has no geometry, which is what loads a CPU with draw calls, and so it’ll inflate the framerate by nature of testing with chaotically conducted methodology. As for the Battlefield 1 benchmarks, AMD also conducted using chaotic methods wherein the AMD CPU would zoom / look at different intervals than the Intel CPU, making it effectively impossible to compare the two head-to-head.

And, most importantly, all of these demos were run at 4K resolution. That creates a GPU bottleneck, meaning we are no longer observing true CPU performance. The analog would be to benchmark all GPUs at 720p, then declare they are equal (by way of tester-created CPU bottlenecks). There’s an argument to be made that low-end performance doesn’t matter if you’re stuck on the GPU, but that’s a bad argument: You don’t buy a worse-performing product for more money, especially when GPU upgrades will eventually out those limitations as bottlenecks external to the CPU vanish.

Last edited:
April 19, 2018 at 9:00 AM Eastern Time

That's when we are posting our reviews.

Gah I'll be in training. :(

Anyone look at mobos yet? I am thinking about grabbing the MSI gaming carbon x470. Of course I need to see what is in stock...

There will be so many reviews on different sites that one can draw their own conclusions. I cant wait to upgrade to the 2700x but then they will release a 2800x in like 3 months lol

I trust Kyle's reviews more than anyone else on in the business. He's called out AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and everybody else whenever they make a shitty product, or do something wrong.

There will be so many reviews on different sites that one can draw their own conclusions. I cant wait to upgrade to the 2700x but then they will release a 2800x in like 3 months lol

I don't think they will release a 2800 this time. I have a feeling that they decided that anything above a 2700 will just go to the Threadripper platform.

I don't think they will release a 2800 this time. I have a feeling that they decided that anything above a 2700 will just go to the Threadripper platform.

I was thinking the same thing and to be honest I don't need more than 8 cores. If my current rig wasn't acting strange I would be on Haswell for another 3-5 years.

I went ahead and preordered the 2700x last night. AMD has an absolutely terrible track record with launches but I like the thrill.

I was thinking the same thing and to be honest I don't need more than 8 cores. If my current rig wasn't acting strange I would be on Haswell for another 3-5 years.

I went ahead and preordered the 2700x last night. AMD has an absolutely terrible track record with launches but I like the thrill.

Getting the processor was easy last launch, getting a x370 motherboard was a pain in the butt tho. I would imagine it would be smoother this time.

Getting the processor was easy last launch, getting a x370 motherboard was a pain in the butt tho. I would imagine it would be smoother this time.
same problem when i got my 1700x, they had the over priced MSI board and the carbon was no where to be found when i tried looking. Settled for a crappy asrock killer x370 and could never get memory above 2933, had no problem on the MSI board with 3200 with the same trident z rgb

I went with the 1700X not long after launch last year for similar reasons, except I *could* use 8 cores. I had an old Sandy 2600k rig that was dying. I had limped it along forever because I didn't want to replace a quad with a slightly faster quad. Ryzen gave me 8 cores on the cheap and made it worthwhile to upgrade. Though the story might have been very different if the 8700k or 7820x had been around when I made my choice.

Back